1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress USS EURISKO - Intrepid Mark II Class

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ASPHIAX, 8 Feb 2011.

1. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

You might want to consider some LED strips, like Boddaker is using in his Tron Lightcycle mod?

(This update shows what I mean)

2. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Hi IanW
    I tried one of those flex led strips like this one but due to the lights being to close to the plexi (I think) I am seeing dots instead of a uniform glow.
    Putting the strip on its side didnt help much too, so I am open for suggestions!
    Thansk man !

3. TotalGaos

TotalGaos Stainless steel.. hmm..

I once saw somebody build a illuminated floor with illuminated sheets here on this forum. Take a look on this link: http://ledsignlighting.co.uk/led-sheet.htm . Maybe that's an idea?

4. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Great link dude! This might just be what I am looking for!
    So change the design from using coloured leds to frosted coloured plexi (thats gonna simplify it big time) , cover that up with a clear panel and put the sticker over it. Could work !

5. TotalGaos

I even think that using frosted plexi isnt really needed. I've remembered which mod used the illuminated floor. It was oliverw92 with polarity. In these posts he mentioned the flooring:
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=2267087&postcount=24
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=2277764&postcount=32
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=2283023&postcount=41
    These posts look very promising for you, good luck!

6. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Thanks mate!
    This will definately be usefull!
    Just one minor thing, did you see the size of the inverter he was using, have to find a smaller one but that may not be a biggie !

7. TotalGaos

Yeah I know, but that could be hidden somewhere else.. Just like the CCFL you use now. I'm curious to see what you are going to do!

8. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

What ever I do, it will have to wait a couple of weeks cant afford the time to make it better then this forn now, gotta focus on getting the body finished and install the leds and lasers that came today !
    [​IMG]

9. SirNeikoOC

SirNeikoOC What's a Dremel?

LASERS!?! I am so into this build!

10. joewatts

joewatts What's a Dremel?

Have you looked at using these LED Strip Lights

[​IMG]

They are really flexible and you can cut them up

11. LooseNeutral

LooseNeutral What's a Dremel?

WOW and Lasers too! I'm so going to keep this log in the top tier of my mods reference folder! Bravo.... :D factor overload + 5 Barrels of Drool

12. craigr1982

craigr1982 What's a Dremel?

been a while since I posted in this thread. Looks amazing and can't wait to see what your going to do next. Everytime I look you seem to have moved on so far.

Keep up the good work :)

13. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Thansk man ! I will look into this!

Yep lasers too, gonnan be hooked up to the microcontroller so it will be 8 (for now) red leds and then the laser, simulating the charge up of the phasers and the discharge!

Thanks man, cool you dropped by again ! I am hoping I can get it finished for the first showing in 2 weeks from now as the CM compo voting starts

14. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Update !

Yess ... More Goodies !!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Special Depron paint, backplate for my GFX, Lian-Li Media bay external connections, new sticker, red leds for the Bussard Collectors in the nacelles, warm air/solder tool, ledstrip for the canope lighting, and a lot of molex stuff ...
    Gonna be busy this weekend!

iTS depron time !
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Man that take up a lot of time. Spend roughly 8 hours designing and building the bottom saucer. Could have made my life easy by doing just simple surfaces with little to no design work to make sure I'll be ready for the voting of the CM Compo but that's not how a want to play this game!
    With this closing piece I have spend at least 30 minutes alone, getting it just right by sanding to a fraction of a millimeter.
    [​IMG]

Found a temporary solution (well solution, the problem is a lot less visable) for the CCFL issue with the LCARS panel.
    Why were the CCFL's so visable? Because the rest of the inside of the case does not reflect light! If it would do that the strong light from the CCFL's directly would become less. So I used the same ALU tape I used in the canope to make it more reflective.
    [​IMG]

Ahh success, only now the light is reflected so good that the ratio between panel and fancontroller is completely lost. I need to devise a way to be able to dim the CCFL's. Think I will use the fancontroller, just need to check if the wattage is ok for that!. So solved one problem , only to find the next.
    [​IMG]

Also build the mediabay into the footing of the case. This will be integrated into the standard at a later date. Gonna finish it off with depron tomorrow!
    [​IMG]

Laterz
    ASPHIAX

15. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

To dim your CCFLs, you might try seeing if a local theatre has some scrap "lighting gels" - the plastic sheets they use to colour spotlights.

16. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Off course! I used to build the PA and lighting systems for houseparties and festivals. The same stuff we used on the PAR64 lighting fixtures. Good tip, definately look into this!

*EDIT: Only the colour does fade over time

17. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Here is a short update!

Extremely expensive this plexi glas plate and now it looks like swiss chees (there's even more holes now)
    First 2 are for the rad's, second is to replace the PSU (if needed) and the last is for the tubing towards the Pylons/Warp Nacelles
    [​IMG]

Also started work on the lasers. This is the 30mW green for the main deflector.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pulled the coverplastic of the back of the plexi to get a better idea of the effect.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Did a boatload of other small and not very interesting but very much needed little jobs but I will not bore you with that.
    Today a mandatory no-modding day as it is mothersday!

Laterz
    ASPHIAX

18. Kingfisher

Kingfisher What's a Dremel?

Colour fade with the lighting gel is usually burn out caused by the high heat of the lamp.

A CCFL isn't going to produce anywhere near that amount of heat, so fading would be pretty unlikely.

19. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Good info dude!
    yes the heat generated by a CCFL is nothing compared to that of a par so the colour should be safe. Good to know! thanks!

20. craigr1982

craigr1982 What's a Dremel?

nice updates :)

I see you got a cat as part of your goodies too, what a odd sponsorship...haha

Keep the updates coming