1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony Online Entertainment compromised too

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 3 May 2011.

1. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    I really like consumer protection laws. 2 years warranty, a month RMA time, a trial period, ... I think I have used all of those at least once.
    Sony was trialed by that in the USA. How is the appeal going?
    More than 2%. Database work done in Excel is part of the basic skills of Excel. Everybody with a formal training in Excel has used it.
    My point is that if OtherOS was widely used by the PS3 community, Sony wouldnt dare to remove it. And probably if it wasnt initially needed for the hacks to work, very few would notice its absence.

2. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

but if sane companies could do as they pleased none of these benefits would exist they are hardly in the best interests of the company.

I think you massively overestimate the level of training of Excel users. Round here the majority of users struggle with vlookups. ;)

My point is that it was a feature, a selling point, an item that was paid for whether it was used by the majority is irrelevant. They pulled the rug out and there is no recourse for the user who did utilise these features.

3. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    The appeals are still going.

4. GiantStickMan

GiantStickMan What's a Dremel?

I cannot disagree with you more. You are glorifying the actions of hackers who have compromised personal and potentially financial details. I am one of those people. I agree that Sony should have locked down the information better, a part of the blame does sit with them, but i will never sympathise with the hackers. This wasn't an attack on Sony, it was an attack on their customers. Whatever you think they 'deserved' it's their customer base who has suffered.

5. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

So, I've just received the dreaded (other) email ...

There's confidence for you.

As with PSN I'm unable to login to SOE to tentatively test emails/password combinations to uncover which ones I used to know whether to change them or not.

6. JA12

JA12 What's a Dremel?

This ID theft makes people to jump to a conclusions.
    Yes, GeoHot is a hacker, but so are many individuals in the bit-tech forums even if they don't call themselves that.

Sony announced that they're going to remove OtherOS feature from PS3 and GeoHot + other people decided that this is clearly wrong. You simply don't sell product and then take key features out. In my country, we have consumer laws and the court agrees: Sony has to pay 100 euros back to everyone who bought non-slim version of PS3 because of removed key feature.
    GeoHot and others made sure there's OtherOS support in PS3. They don't support piracy and extra steps were taken to only bring back OtherOS feature.

As much Sony deserves to be slapped hard, this ID theft is also against paying users. No one says it's right. Not even GeoHot, who recently said in his blog post that he'd help Sony with this just to know how PSN was breached.

So place your blame where it belongs: thieves did the ID theft.
    They find themselves in the prison if caught. Sony on the other hand, will too find itself in the court once again when the time comes. That's because there are such things as privacy laws.

7. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Geohot announced the crack first:
    Fantastic. Finland, is it?

8. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/04/sony-responds-to-congress-all-77-million-psn-accounts-compromis/

Sony's response to Congress.

Sony does say, however, that it had 12.3 million credit card numbers on file, and 5.6 million of them from the US, and that investigators found a file on one of the servers named "Anonymous" with the words "We are Legion" inside it. Hard to draw many conclusions from that.
    - Snippet from the Engadget Article.

It would be easy to blame them, but is most likely a ruse to cover up the tracks of the real culprit.

9. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Anonymous dont have exactly an hierarchy. Even if the majority decided not to mess with PS3 users online data, a small group might think differently.

10. Manu_Otaku

Manu_Otaku ManuOtaku

Look maybe it was not the reason for Geo in reality but it was the one given by him to support his actions, and sony also help in this becuase first they said it was for piracy purposes the removal of other S, and then they stated it was for money issues, therefore again sony lied to their users, stating firs at the launch of the device this application will last its entire lifecycle then for the reasons only known by sony , they took it without any compensation, becuase that feature in the end represent a value of money that was included in the total cost of the device, thats what i did tried to said, and for that sony is also responsible IMHO,

Tags: Add Tags