1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News 80 games selected for art exhibition

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 6 May 2011.

1. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

It seems Psychonauts lost to the Epic Pinnacle of Art called Halo 2, interesting...

Also it's not clear to me why Pac-man, Space Invaders and alike are somehow considered art. Good, they were great achievements in there time, but the 'art' part I don't really understand. That's like saying that the first paper ever made was art because later on people wrote stories on it. Doesn't make sense to me, but then again, I'm part of the young, hipster Gaga/JB/Rebecca Black-generation so I guess I can't judge about that.

Btw:
    Sorry bro, but that's just BS.
    i cant agree that music is art, its ment to be listened to not looked at. herp derp.

That may have been a bit rude but srsly: Good games are filled with art. Some of which is even more 'art' than a lot of stuff hanging in museums right now. Basing your judgement on "what's art and what isn't" on what's hanging in galleries is not The Right Way To Do It. Open your eyes, look around and form your own vision. Hopefully then you'll agree that lots of games truly are art (or you'll have found a better reason to disagree, which is also possible ofc).

(I really hope I'm not just feeding a troll here ...)

2. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

Hm, would have voted Front Mission 3 over FF Tactics on the PS1 myself.

3. mute1

mute1 What's a Dremel?

Agree too much console crap.
    All the Zelda games... WHAT!
    Their first mistake was to let people vote.
    It's like every time there is a game of the year/decade/whatever vote on a mainstream website, some Mario game will beat Planescape: Torment or Deus Ex.

4. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

No Gran Turismo (1-5?) wtf.

5. mikkig

mikkig Big Giant Robot

The list does seem to be a bit psychophrenic in what it considers games as art and just genuinely iconic games.

For instance Sonic Adventures isn't a great games nor is it a poster child for "games as art", however Sonic is an iconic character. It would make more sense to having N.I.G.H.T.S there surley?

On the GameCube: No Kiler7!

I know there are a million titles that could be or not be there, but it doesn't seems to be clearly defined. Are we talking art as in how pretty it looks or more importantly a game that has a genuine narrative and emotion to it? But then are you getting into the argument of a Michael Bay film vs Citizen Kane debate. They are both films, and as film is art, ergo both are art. A popcorn shooter is just as valid and something like The Path if you label anything falling under the medium as such.

The thing that could be said is that, yes, games are a form of artistic expression (and thus "art") and just like all art a lot of it can be terrible art while some of it can be brilliant and inspired.

6. sinner666999

sinner666999 What's a Dremel?

Lots of disappointing choices on there, mainly the many Zelda winners and the choice of Final Fantasy. Really surprised one version of Megaman or another failed to make the list.

Pac-man and Donkey Kong are not big surprises. But who the heck has even heard of the Star Trek game that made the list?

7. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

Gunstar Heroes! Awesome.

8. D B

D B What's a Dremel?

Intellivision ! ... heh, I still have mine and all the titles listed for it , even "Intellivoice"

Half Life 2 as a runner up ?
    Mass Effect 2 as a ... console??

9. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

The debate about what is art and if this or that should be called art will always amuse me ;)

10. Deders

Deders Modder

^This^ but I guess it's hard to really encapsulate what makes Deus Ex and Planescape Torment awesome without dedicating several hours immersing yourself in their worlds.

11. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

I'm sure alot of other people would disagree including myself.

It depends how each person defines their own definition.

12. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

This is considered art. I guess we can only speak for ourselves, but as an artistic work, I find Portal significantly more meaningful.

People who insist on a narrow definition for art annoy me.

13. Deders

Deders Modder

Have you played Planescape Torment? It does all the things he described, and then some.

14. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 8 May 2011
  15. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

Some serious nostalgia going on while looking through that list. Really good to see a few favourites like Fallout and FF VII in there.

FF Tactics over Carnage Heart though? That makes me sad. It wasn't the prettiest game but it was utterly compelling and very different whereas FF Tactics was… well, ok I suppose.

Tags: Add Tags