1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Minecraft; Official Bit-tech server

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Stickeh, 6 Oct 2010.

1. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

We could put another one next to it as a tribute to Duke Nukem.

2. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

I love it! :D

3. JrRRr

JrRRr Minecraft addict

Thanks for helping out with the torches. I appreciate that. To bad you got it wrong though.. I made some changes yesterday, but it might have been lost in the reset because of the greefing. Anyways, the pattern is every other block both vertically and horizontally. I do think I need the ability to fly to make the task more effective in the roof. . As for the rest of the project, g'm not sure what Kroy has in mind. Although I'd like the possibility to drop in from the roof and all the way down.. :rock:

4. Xtreme_Machine

Xtreme_Machine Survivalist

A small update on the old-'new'-server...

I have finished building the machine and installed the OS.

Some specs:
    CPU: P4 - 2.8Ghz (should be enough)
    RAM: 1.5GB for now (a bit smallish, but it can hopefully be upgraded later)
    HDD1: 40GB 7200 RPM for OS and Data (web-server and MySQL-server)
    HDD2: 80GB 7200 RPM for the Server(s)

To night i'll configure everything. I should be able to get it to version 1.5, even with the small bandwidth i'm having :p

I want to drive to my old house this Saturday to place the server so if everything goes as planned it should be up Saturday night (cant give any guarantees though) :clap:

I'll let you guys now how i get on with things :)

5. SpaceBaby

SpaceBaby AKA: Stophon

i think it was just the one side that was out slightly, ye it was reset and i fixed the vertical line but didn't add the additional torches you put up.

6. MrsFio

MrsFio THE Minecraft Woman

:clap: And my balloon is back :clap: The "lava accident" has been undone! :clap:

Sad about the griefing tho..:waah: what was griefed?:confused:

7. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

The entirety of Downtown...
    Also, the griefers called us "losers" ... Yeah.

8. MrsFio

MrsFio THE Minecraft Woman

:duh:

9. JrRRr

JrRRr Minecraft addict

I took the liberty of making a new well. You know the only build that was in the sphere-space. I've created it just on the outside of the sphere - it resulted in a shorter tunnel, so the dramatic effect is.. ..well less dramatic. Maybe we could move it or rebuild it somewhere else? We could, of course build the entrance inside the sphere - could be a cool "sidekick" we'll see..

Hope the torches is not overkill Kroy.. ..haven't heard a input from you yet, although it should light up the sphere properly (it's far more the coverage than that of my pyramid)

Edit: And now I've made a tunnel from Guild hall. One block to the side, and it would have been aligned with the side entrance of Guild hall..

Last edited: 7 May 2011
  10. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

is minecart mania working btw?

11. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

It hasn't become un-abandoned since the last time you asked.

12. meh

meh What's a Dremel?

I'm afraid Aforess (the MM writer) now purely works on bukkit, and no-one else has took up the ropes =/

Rule number one when digging through a wall next to a very large amount of wool - check for lava first!:waah:

Last edited: 7 May 2011
  13. Kroy

Kroy Minimodder

Hi,

awesome work on the torches. I don't think we want to cover the entire sphere with torches in the same intense pattern that has been done. The shadows help give it a sense of scale, i think.

What I do think looks great is the vertical stripes up either side! If you could make them all four symmetrical, that would be awesome. Like these two which are (at least to my eyes) symmetrical

[​IMG]
    the Sphere might've been Cubit, but the torches are all set by hand (thanks to Jr and SpaceBaby) by KroyMortlach, on Flickr

It would be good to have a some torches in the quadrants between the intense bands. But of lesser frequency, in a gradient fashion so that at the point of the sphere in each quadrant top and bottom there is a small area without any torches?

IDK how to describe this any better :( If you get what I'm on about, or have a better idea, crack on. If not, I'll be on later to discuss. I think maybe a flying mod would be useful to get to the top half?

I made a start on clearing out the last of the earth debris in the centre. So I should be able to complete that today and lay the path along the inner circumference.

Should we keep it purely a aesthetic exercise in geometry? Or should we endeavour to put some human touches in to the inner? Trees? Floating platforms? Waterfalls etc?

14. Xtreme_Machine

Hello fellow minecraftians,

As you might have noticed by the lack of a forumpost, i did not get the server online yesterday (Saterday). My house threw a wrench in my planning. The drain for the kitchen sink sprung a leak so i had to fix that. It took away most of my Saterday-morning on which i had planned to configure the server. Because of mothers-day i had to leave to go to my parents, so i took the server with me and i'm configuring it here :) (My parents house is close(r) to my old home so that was the plan anyway...)

By the looks of it, it should be up and running this evening, but i'm having some database issues. I made a copy of the raw database files and now i just found out i made a configuration mistake the last time. So now i can't use the database files from the old setup and i need to import the data :(
    Therefore i think it's best to keep the minecraft server off-line till i get home later tonight.

I will make a post when the server is placed so you guys know survival is imminent :p

15. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

next time i'm on i'll continue work on filling in the bedrock underneath the sphere.. purely aesthetic reasons. any protests let me know :) I just though a flat floor beneath the sphere at the level of the highest bedrock would be nice :)

16. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Cool!

17. Xtreme_Machine

Good news everyone,

The survival server is back online!!

Did not have the time to make a post when i was at my old house, but i think this makes up for that ;)

The IP is the same still, and so is the link to the Overviewer render (although that's down for now, did not have the time to get that running)

The specs of the server are as you might know (a lot) less so expect some lagg.

Status update: :)
    • IP still the same
    • Overviewer down for the moment
    • Back-Ups running same as ever
    • Expect some lagg
    • Running 1.5!
    • Updated every plugin to the latest version i could find
    • Added a plugin so lightning does not cause fire (so no forest fires i hope)
    • Dumped old MySQL database and imported that so:
      • LWC protections should all be up (check them please!)
      • Big Brother logging is NOT lost this time :x

As soon as i have some internet i'll join you guys again!

Like i said, my internet access is still is very limited so if there is a problem, post here or send a PM and i'll do my best to get it sorted as soon as possible...

18. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Yaaay

EDIT: Woooow, i got killed by a lagspider and i spawned near the old spawn village.

Last edited: 8 May 2011
  19. Xtreme_Machine

fffuuuuuu, forgot about that, i believe i need to set the spawnpoint after server restarts.
    Will do that tonight and then it should be fixed :)

20. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Any sign of the griefers returning to the creative server yet?