1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking Phenom II 965BE OverClock

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheLegendJoe, 9 May 2011.

1. TheLegendJoe

TheLegendJoe Syntax error

Hey all,

I've been OC'ing my CPU for the past week or so, but I can't get past a rather poultry 3.8Ghz, max temps at that speed are ~44*C running prime95 (I'm using a titan fenrir cooler) with stock voltage.

However even when I up the voltage to 1.5 from 1.4 I cannot get any higher! With this being my first OC besides my graphics card I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong, does anyone have any pointers? My hardware is listed below incase its something there messing me up:

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1810171

the 5850 (when I turn the OC on) is @ 925/1200 1.22V and I have a 850watt Corsair PSU.

2. trig

trig god's little mistake

really you have to look at it like this...you actually got a 1ghz overclock out of it, but you paid amd extra to get 600 mhz of it for you...ie the 925 to the 965 lolz...
    anyway, can't say what is really holding you back...haven't owned an amd rig for years...good luck getting more out of it...

3. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Sometimes one core will just not go further regardless. Sadly not all x4 / x6 will go to 4ghz sadly.

4. TheLegendJoe

Ah cheers, I'll probably just leave it at that then, seems to suffice really!

And in response to the other post, its my first system build, I didn't know any better :p haha, AMD aren't that bad anyway it just seem'd to be a better option at the time of my build & budget :)

5. law99

law99 Custom User Title

:(

Still, compared to the original phenoms, you're kicking ass and taking names! :rock:

TBH, I doubt there is much extra performanc to be had anyhow. Currently mine is faster than I need or expect during usage. It's only heartbreaking when you see benchmarks vs the iCore range. <I just don't look (as much)... damage control!!!

6. trig

it's all good...at least you didn't buy a dell...
    and ur having fun seeing what you can get out of it...:thumb:

7. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Lol hard! No offence OP but unless you wanted to overclock your AMD to be a chicken, I think you meant paltry. I say no offence as I really don't mean this to be nasty it just ammused me imagining a chicken choking your overclock.
    I would be interested in what you achieve as I have a 955 with an unlocked core which I will OC when I get a cooler better than the stock POS. Assuming the wedding planner/fiancée havent got other ideas

8. Publ!c Enemy

Publ!c Enemy or Richard for short

I got 4GHz out of mine but now i'm more bothered about overclocking the CPU-NB ratio because i heard that there was some performance to be had their.
    Link:http://www.overclockers.com/the-importance-of-northbridge-overclocking-with-the-phenom-ii/
    Also I found i could get about 3.7/3.8 on stock volts but from there it needed alot more, and TBH my Titan Fenrir was hitting 57 in gaming so i've clocked it down although it was all still stable at 4GHz it was getting quite hot in Prime95, now it only gets to 55.

Last edited: 9 May 2011
  9. TheLegendJoe

Haha I didn't even notice! Damn android auto correct :p and thanks to the next poster , think I will just keep it at 3.8 it seems to be running quieter cool and smoothly ATM so it'll do haha.

10. trig

smart..

don't get me wrong i love to see what i can get out of a new chip...super pi and all that...
    but once i get my e-peen done, i back it off to acceptable volts and such...

11. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

To get my 1055t stable at 4ghz, i needed to put 1.475v through the cpu and 1.4v through the Northbridge. The Cpu was maxing out at around 56, 57 degrees which is just about acceptable, but the north bridge was up in the mid 80's according to the bios, which i wasn't too keen about, so i stepped it back to 3.82Ghz. I must say, i really can't tell the difference between 4ghz and 3.8ghz in games or normal use.

12. DarrenH

DarrenH What's a Dremel?

I tried to overclock my 965 BE when I first got it. I got to 3.6 at ease then 3.8 I had problems. After a few weeks of tweaking I came to the conclusion that the gains will only ever be small so why stress out the hardware?

My AMD is as fast as anything (easily the quickest PC I've ever used) and handles everything I throw at it. I too built mine for budget and it was the best option at the time. I love my PC and it is a dream to use. My 3.4 quad-core is a beast and I won't need to get a new PC for a few years yet. Instead I'll upgrade my new build for the next 2-3 years.

13. TheLegendJoe

I agree, its a very good cpu, I doubt I notice the difference in games really, the cpu had never really reached 100% use in any game, the GPU OC helped though.

Also we have the same mobo btw, I up'd the FSB to 212 (with the cpu at x18) thats given me the best perfomance increase in benchmarks etc, my RAM's even at 1,800Mhz now haha

14. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I think I've now had 7 fast quad Phenoms around, and only two of them have gone over 4 GHz (4,2 GHz), the 975 and 980. The 970's and 965's have all hit 4 GHz, but at such high voltages it wouldn't really make sense in 24/7 use.

So 3,8 GHz at stock voltage isn't half bad! And really, what do we even need all the CPU horsepower? REALLY? Gaming? Naah, general surfing, music, media, etc would work just fine on the earliest dualies/quads, which leaves me to think that REALLY any faster CPU is only needed for extremely demanding video editing/rendering... and ofcourse e-peen growing and willy waving. Neither of which I'm too keen on :D

I get all sorts of fancy new stuff dropped at my door, and while it's always good fun messing around with them and seeing just how far they can be pushed, I just don't see any reason to upgrade my everyday working/gaming PC any time soon. (currently running 1090T at some clock speeds.)

15. jakobfrimmel

jakobfrimmel What's a Dremel?

hehe ive gotten my phenom II 955 to 4 ghz :p

16. trig

have you actually tried willy-waving? i'm pretty keen on it...:naughty:

not really...im just kidding ... i swear ... :worried:

17. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Sure, but it being related to CPUs or hardware in any way, shape or form is just damn disgusting.

Now carry on, nothing to see in this derailment :D

18. DarrenH

DarrenH What's a Dremel?

We do have the same CPU, Mobo & both have G-Skill 1600 Ram but I went for the Vapor-x 5770 while you opted for the 5850. You did go mad with the 850W Corsair!

The gigabyte bios was a real pain with so many wierd defaults. I eventually got it O/C by upping the NB and HT as well but not taking the CPU voltage to 1.5. One reason why the overclocking wasn't worth the effort was the heat of the chip was upped too much. If I had better cooling then I may have been more adventurous but I never bought the PC for O/C - was just playing around to see what it would do.

I may look at your settings and try and tinker to get a stable 3.8. Let me know what defaults you left in the bios (i.e. SB, NB, HT, etc). I have not tried to up the RAM any higher. I set it to 1600 initially as it defaults to 1333 and it works 1,000% stable even in Crysis! You sound like you know what you are doing, I'm just an amature.