1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Best 120mm silent fans?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MiNiMaL_FuSS, 9 May 2011.

1. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Ah yes... I recommend the Noctua NF-P12 for heatsink (higher air flow), and the NF-S12B series for the front.

2. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Apprently basket limits referesh every hour, so u can just keep them in your basket and order another when the timer goes past an hour. I dont post there enough for free postage though, so yates are out!

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

75C is very good. I think you are seeking for cooling not quietness.
    You have to choose.
    What I would suggest is to drop the CPU voltage slightly. Reducing the voltage doesn't damage anything, just increase the error rate (so more chances of BSOD's). BUT, a slight drop in voltage is safe.. as usually Intel (and AMD) put it a high level to compensate CPU's that have trouble... to increase the production of successful CPU's yield. So, unless you are unlucky, you go drop the voltage a few levels. Also, dropping the voltage a tiny bit does reduce the CPU temp a lot. I am sure you can put it down to 65-70C, which is fantastic. And should not affect your system stability (unless you are unlucky)

4. Sponge12349

Sponge12349 (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ ︵ ┻━┻

I'm looking to replace the fan on my Titan Fenrir as its the loudest part of my PC by quite a bit. Although I have no idea what I am going to go for as of yet. :rolleyes:

5. law99

law99 Custom User Title

There is a 2000rpm version... it's loud. lol

6. bestseany

bestseany What's a Dremel?

Nope, the fans doesn't protrude at all. I use them as intake fans and exhausts with no issues.

The main issue I had was that I had too many fans to run from the motherboards built-in fan controller, so my old loud fans were running at full speed and therefore were noisy. The sharkoons can be run at their full 1000rpm all the time and they're still really quiet.

I run a GTX 570 and an overclocked i5 in a case with them and have no cooling issues whatsoever.

7. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Oh dear, got to disagree with you there!

Noctua fans are silent but they hardly shift any air at all. I have a Noctua air cooler and swapping the fans for Gentle Typhoons dramatically dropped temperatures.

My vote is for the Gentle Typhoon 1800RPM. It's expensive but the build quality is phenomenal, it's nigh on silent and it shifts a good amount of air.

8. Droih

Droih Your too close if you can read this

9. MiNiMaL_FuSS

10. MiNiMaL_FuSS

These two seem to be pulling out a lead from opinions here and my reading:

Gentle Typhoon 1850
    Sharkoon 1000

Although there must be something new generation that's better!

Last edited: 10 May 2011
  11. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I like the Noctua's for case fans (well, not the colour) because although not silent they have a pleasing sound at full speed. Some of mine do tick at low motor speeds though. I currently have 4 on a Quad rad cooling a QX9650 and although acceptable they're not as good for performance as the GT1450 giving 3ºC worse temps on a moderate heatload. However the GT's run at a faster speed and some of them have an annoying whine (which I may have mentioned once or twice before).

I've used the Zaward version of the Sharkoon Golf Ball fans as case fans and at one time they were my favourites for low noise. However all of them have various motor noise's that's got worse over the years. Initially they were a lot quieter than the Noctua's at full speed but I don't know how much air they shifted in comparison. They were OK as CPU heatsink fans on low heatloads.

For cheaper fans I like the the Yate Loon D12SL-12 and use them as case/rad fans in some builds now.

12. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

Enermax aren't awful, neither are Coolermasters new Scyth fans (think thats what they are called)
    If you have space though try to put a gasket between the fans and the rad, you'll get better results (dead zone behind the fan is reduced)

13. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

14. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I use shrouds (gutted fans) for rads, so far they've always improved performance although not by much.

15. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

These are so bloomin good! Without doubt the best fans I've ever used.

I have one on my Kuhler 620 and it actually gets me better temps than the stock fan even though it runs much slower. The icing on the cake? They are PWM.

16. Bobfoc

Bobfoc What's a Dremel?

Scythe Gentle Typhoons 1450 here!

Had the Sharkoon Silent Eagle 1000s and they're great fans, but the Typhoon 1450s are even better. They push a lot more air at the same noise levels, and are nigh on silent if you use Q-Fan on your motherboard.

They also work a treat on all of the rads I've tested them on. Currently got 6 of them inside my Silverstone case.

17. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I tried a Gentle Typhoon 1850 on my H50, worked great. Adding a second only dropped the temps by a couple of degrees so I think I reached the thermal limit of the rad.

I replaced the 1850's with 2 1450rpm Gentle Typhoons and my 4GHz overclocked CPU never went over 61C during a 2 hour BC2 session last night with a 26C ambient.

I have been using with Sharkoon Silent Eagle 1000rpm's in the front as intakes and am currently trying out 2 Silverstone Air Penetrator's @ 7v (12v makes them too whiney for me with the rig on the desk). I also currently have a Silent Eagle 1000rpm on the side as an intake due to my SLI setup.

I also have played with two Apache Black PWM fans on my H50 but they weren't great as rad fans, I needed lower temps with my overclock. That said, I used one on my Titan Fenrir for ages @ stock CPU settings, it was fantastic.

With your large case I would suggest two Silverstone Air Penetrators in the front and two Gentle Typhoons on your H70. The Air Penetrators come with 5v, 7v & 12v adapters so you can tailor it to your needs. If you don't want to go for the AP's, go for a couple more GT's in the front.

The Silent Eagle 1000rpm's are fantastic fans but if you have high ambient temperatures or are heating up your case (e.g. overclocking), you are going to need more airflow than they can provide.

18. MiNiMaL_FuSS

Excellent sounds like you've tried all the fans I most like!

One question which do you reckon if the better noise/air comprimise:
    Gentle Typhoon 1850 @ 7v or Gentle Typhoons 1450

Air penetrators are currently on offer at aria, so might pick up a couple

19. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Anyone know what 140mm fans are best? I'm after something that works better than Corsair supplied fans.

Sam

20. MiNiMaL_FuSS

on what? I thought the h70/60/50 all used 120mm??