1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics To Crossfire or Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Puk, 10 May 2011.

1. Puk

Puk (A shrewd and knavish sprite)

Good morning gents. For the first time in a while I've a few spare quid so was pondering with the idea of upgrading my graphics, I'm thinking about getting into some eyefinity love soon.

My current rig is doing well:
    I5
    Gigabyte P55A-UD5
    4GB ripjaw ddr3
    120gb m3 crucial ssd
    Xfx 5850 black edition

All I do is game with it of late. Do you guys reckon it's worth getting a second 5850 or selling the one that I have and chucking the cash toward a nicer card? I know it's not like it's a **** rig but thought it a good idea to act whilst the card is still worth selling, I'm looking forward to eyefinity on battlefield 3!

2. MrGumby

MrGumby CPC 464 User

If your wanting eyefinity why not get the monitors now? Something like 3 Dell u2311 perhaps?
    Try it with your 5850. For a graphics card upgrade id hold off until the next die shrink to 28nm. Should be a worth will performance increase without the multi-gpu headaches.

3. Puk

Puk (A shrewd and knavish sprite)

Thanks for your reply mate.

I guess your right, not worth an upgrade before any new tech comes out. I managed to sort eyefinity on my 22" asus with two 17" each side, pity you can't rotate the two 17s during a game to portrait mode as it defaults to the lowest res and I lose the sexyness of hi res.

I think the misses would actually remove my testicles if I were to spend £600/£700 odd quid on three new monitors. Best sell a couple of cars first to fund this project!

4. Bobfoc

Bobfoc What's a Dremel?

Or... pick up a cheap 2nd hand 5850, as there are loads kicking around auction sites and other forums.

Just depends on how much you wanna spend overall, but two of these in crossfire are quite powerful.

Just be sure your power supply has the necessary connections AND is powerful enough to deal with it.

Oh, and then overclock the nuts out of your CPU and your GPUs and you're laughing :)

5. Ronaldo 9

Ronaldo 9 Minimodder

Well OCuK are selling HD5850's for £107 so you could get a nice upgrade there and buy the monitors later. But as the post above has stated make sure you're PSU is adequate. Also you should seriously look at overclocking that rig as you gain a nice little bit of performance. This article should help you Clicky