1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Revisiting Morrowind

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 10 May 2011.

1. Tyr

Tyr Minimodder

I always have it sitting on my hard disk in case I get the urge to play it.

It has to be my favourite game of all time.

2. jhng

jhng What's a Dremel?

Mmmm... Morrowind. Such a good game. I bought Oblivion on the strength of Morrowind's brilliance and will buy Skyrim on the same basis. So actually the ROI isn't that bad...

3. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

True, you can play the game for hundreds of ours, and never start on the main quests, or any quests for that matter.

That is how a RPG should be.

4. bpdlr

bpdlr High-frequency bogon emitter

Brilliant post Craig. I remember the anticipation before Morrowind's release, and being absolutely blown away by the opening scene. It really was a game to get lost in, and the plot was secondary, really. Wish more games were made this way, and sadly I doubt Skyrim will be able to match it for immersion and detail. We can but hope...

5. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I played through Morrowind at Uni, great fun.

My favourite Morrowind memory is ragarding Bit's very own Games Editor. Lets just say that until Morrowing, I didn't know Joe had it in him to spend three days alone so engrossed in a game he didn't shower, didn't dress and couldn't even drag himself away from the PC long enough to turn on the heating in the middle of winter.

6. Torin

Torin What's a Dremel?

Morrowind was my first RP game and what a great introduction to the genre had everything in my opinion many hour within that game more side quests and exploration than could of hoped for keep me hooked.

7. exexs

exexs What's a Dremel?

Morrowind is in my top3 of favortie game ever! An amazing world, free movement, real rpg, not like what we get these days...

8. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

I used to get bored swatting the flying dudes. But I might give it a punt again. PC couldn't really hack it back in the day.

9. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

I played morrowind after playing oblivion, and still think it's a better RPG, so it's not just nostalgia, it is a better game.

10. CharlO

CharlO What's a Dremel?

11. Digibull

Digibull Stealth Geek

:thumb:

12. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I think Morrowind is probably my favourite game ever. I haven't played it in so long, kind of because I banned myself from it, because I know if I install it, I will not stop playing...ever.

13. Helz

Helz What's a Dremel?

The word "hardcore" gets thrown around a lot in gaming, but I honestly think it applies to Morrowind. I remember reading the entire manual (which was a decent size), starting the game about 5 times and still not having any clue how to create a good character. Then I printed out a 20 page long character creation guide and read that about 5 times before I finally started to get it. Then I created about 5 more characters and I felt like I had a decent grasp on the mechanics. Not great, but enough to get by.

I started out with only the rags on my back, but soon amassed a decent sized fortune funded by my raging case of kleptomania. My early travels brought me to a friendly looking village. I stole everything: crusts of bread, farm tools, an old lady's spectacles; if it wasn't nailed down I took it. I even made myself a cozy home in the close knit community after I murdered the former occupants and hid their bodies in a chest of drawers. Eventually I knew I had to move on, but after dozens of restarts, I felt that I'd finally figured out a formula for success and was prepared.

I spent many months wandering lost in the wilderness. I completely lost/forgot/missed the main questline, and so just walked across the continent. Nevertheless by the end of my travels I'd crafted a powerhouse of a character and I had him decked out in that gold armor that I got from being real sneaky about breaking rule #1. Unfortunately I was now at a bit of a loss. I'd succeed in becoming the ultimate survivor, but what was my purpose? I certainly didn't fit in with the hoity toity elite who ran everything in the big cities.

Then the werewolf expansion came out and I was in my element. People struggling to survive in a rugged frontier aren't concerned about someone's shady past. I cut a paradise out of that forest, completing every dangerous quest that anyone could think to give me, and I positively glowed from the adulation I received as it reflected off my new impenetrable ice-armor.

With every task complete, I had no choice but to move on. In the end, I found myself in the capitol city of the last expansion. Unfortunately it was more of the same classicism I thought I'd left behind. No real storyline that I could make any sense out of, just a bunch of confusing politicians and fancy lads who looked down their nose at a half orc in crystalline armor wielding a legendary obsidian axe with a +100 fire damage enchant. So I said "**** it", killed the emperor or whoever that was on the throne, his royal bodyguards, and then declared war on the rest of the city. Come to think of it, it was just as I was waded waste deep through the red gore that the first portal to hell opened up.

Sorry all, I guess I was the cause of Oblivion. *embarrassed*

14. Helz

Helz What's a Dremel?

15. Helz

Helz What's a Dremel?

wow sorry, tried to edit and quoted myself instead. I guess I'm an idiot.

16. thEcat

thEcat What's a Dremel?

Morrowind, stupid game, even some of the good bits are best described as 'clunky'.

Did I just call it a game? Stupid me.

After starting it up I 'played' for over 10 hours just trying to find 'the game'. More stupid on my part, my brain addled by FPS corridors and scaled encounters handed out on a plate, I spent those 10 hours throwing out the Cracker Jack in search of the plastic toy, diligently searching through the Lego bricks looking for the 'instruction book' and basically, totally missing the point.

Trapped at a foyada cross roads I'd accessed by finding a small gap in the surrounding hills. Surrounded by mobs of all shapes and sizes, armor ruined and out of arrows I determined to restart one last time.

'You're on your own now. Good luck.'

On my own, and that's exactly how I felt. The penny dropped and I began to realise just how cleaver this stupid game was. Did I say game? Stupid me. A stranger alone in a foreign world, and it was a world, an intricate, functional world and I was. I was, anything I wanted to be. The game found me.

17. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Good times, Morrowind was the one game that you could get lost anywhere. But probably the best moments of the game come from the first time you found something, be it the huge city of Vivec, the fact that Balmora had some sketchy figures in it, finding Tel Fyr and then of course becoming engrossed in all the lore.

Anyone here tried collecting all the books? Now THAT was a quest.

18. Toka

Toka Minimodder

*must re-install Morrowind*

19. TeenGeek

TeenGeek Worst touch typing ever.

Morrowind, the first time i ever heard about the game was after oblivion came out... got it instead of oblivion because i didnt have enough money at the time... probably the most wonderful game ive ever played, which is kinda funny im saying this, because im only fifteen. not all kids these day are into flashy graphics...

P.S. i currently have the morrowind goty edition on CD, for win 7 64-bit on a laptop, but it wont work, ive installed it about ten times, never worked, tried installing the expansion in different order... can anyone help?

20. Zayfod

Zayfod What's a Dremel?

One thing you can try is not installing it in the "program files" directory, as it likes to alter files in the program directory as it goes, and windows 7 and vista don't like that much.

The unofficial patch couldn't hurt either LINK

Tags: Add Tags