1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning First scratch built case

Discussion in 'Modding' started by DoctorWho05, 27 Apr 2011.

1. DoctorWho05

DoctorWho05 What's a Dremel?

Hey gang

OK so I've been having this idea in my head for my first computer case build. It definitely won't be my first computer build, but I saw all the craftsmanship on here and I wanted to have a go. Since I am not well=versed as some in the art of Sketchup, to get the concept down of what I wanted to convey, the drawing is based off a Lian-Li PC-V2010. I scavenged a few parts from another computer, specifically the mobo tray and the rear PCI/ IO frame.

I took a model of a lian-li PC-V2000 from the depository and added on some paneling which will be covered in a black wood veneer. This panel will be elevated slightly off the main chassis body to allow for accent lighting on the front and top.

A window will be added, and ventilation for 3x120 rad. I wanted to go with simple and elegant instead of a really wild design. I still feel my design is unique. Hope to hear from you all about what you think!

[​IMG]

2. cchr

cchr Minimodder

In my opinion it still has a few details that need to be sorted out.
    a cover/mask for the dvd drive, maybe some ventilation at the top, power/reset buttons.
    also, because of the fact that you are going to use wood, maybe you should rethink the design of the silver rad grill, it doesn't quite fit in with the concept.
    cheers
    chris

3. DoctorWho05

I'm not worried about ventilation at the top as I plan on have a WC system.

The silver rad covers were just a temporary thing I plan on doing mesh there or a black cover.

I definitely will put a cover on the DVD drive, I just didn't feel like getting into that on the model lol

And I plan on using the vandal resistant buttons with the ring light for power and the dot light for reset.

I will also include a front panel set either at the bottom or on the top

4. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

A top exhaust fan could be helpfull to get rid of the hot air kept inside the case. Every single electronic componant (resistor, capacity, memory, chipsets, etc.) is heating up the air. I think a single rear exhaust fan is not enough, plus warm air tends to go up, so top fan could help a lot.

5. DoctorWho05

[​IMG]

hey guys, here's an updated version. I added a 120mm exhaust fan to the top, added a couple anti-vandal buttons, swapped to black grills and just did a little tidying up. What do you think? I'm going to start building it not too far from now and so I'll work on a project log when I do actually start working on it.

6. DoctorWho05

7. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

looks really good, though it seems to miss some defining feature that sets it apart...

8. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

9. DoctorWho05

I know it's really similar to that one, but it's sort of where I got the general idea. I just wanted to do something a little different compared to it by doing a wood laminate instead of the white. So on mine it'll be all black with wood laminate over the front. The laminate part will be raised out a little to allow for accent lighting behind it and ventilation. On the inside, I'm going to have only the res and the mobo visible with the window to allow a super clean look. There will be a cross (floor) and under that will be my pump/rad/HDD racks. This is my first build and I hope to have it lay the ground work for future builds.

10. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

Very nice idea dude, should be a good one

11. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Intersting choice of materials! That could be the identity-thing i was still missing in the renders... I hope you will show us the real pictures real soon! :)

12. DoctorWho05

My dad ordered some aluminum for me and I have a few pieces cut up already. I'll start taking some pictures when I start doing some more work on it. I also have been trying to think of a different idea for my hard drive bays. I want to have a hot-swappable set up because I may want to add HDDs in the future. I was thinking of making a sort of box and have a fan blow up from the bottom and exhaust from the side. Similar idea as on the Corsair Obsidian 800D only on the bottom. I also like how the drive bays are on the Cosmos. Also does any one know a place where I could find just the backplane boards cheap? Or a site that has the layouts for one to make them?

13. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

14. DoctorWho05

Thanks confusis. I think that would be perfect! No if only this order of aluminum would get here...

15. DoctorWho05

Oh, and any of you have some ideas of what I could name this thing for when I start the project log?

16. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

I'm not good at naming things .... maybe "First build V1" or "Tardis05" :D