1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Google Chrome tops 160 million users

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 12 May 2011.

1. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Since putting Windows 7 on my laptop earlier this week, I've been trying IE9. To be fair, it doesn't seem to be that bad - it doesn't bring any new functionality to the overall brower market, but then again, it does what it says on the tin. Explores the internet. Not lot more though. On a plus point I've not managed to kill it yet.

Naturally I await the flaming that comes with not changing brower within the first day of upgrading.

I was put off Chrome in earlier versions when I found it was taking up local profile space. On a network like the one I use on a daily basis, profile size is to be kept as low as possible, otherwise logon / logoff takes the best part of half an hour. I remember it being fairly snappy at loading pages up though. Might have to give it another go

Looking at Firefox 4, there seems to be a definate improvement for me over FF3.* - much more responsive, although the default UI is a bit crap. 5 minutes of playing around fixes that though.

2. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Ok, trying Chrome.
    What addon allows to personalize the UI? Tabs on bottom, always on status bar, etc.
    What addon offers more buttons? Similar to Toolbar Buttons.
    How to disable the spelling?
    How to make Chrome use the "I feel lucky" behaviour? (This is strange, behaviour gives an error on spelling... :eyebrow: )

3. Hereisphilly

Hereisphilly What's a Dremel?

I am an avid Firefox user, and have been for a while, but i admit, i am drawn to the speed of chrome.
    The only thing however which is preventing me from switching over is the lack of a separate search bar on the right of address bar, which in Firefox you can even customise with additional search engines! If anyone knows if this is possible to have in chrome, i would gladly switch over, as i use that bar all the time!

4. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Chrome Rocks!

5. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

Guess I use my browser in strange ways as I can't stand Chrome. Just doesn't feel right not to mention issues encountered personally and by companies I support.

6. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    It just feels weird. It is fast but I cant tweak it to my own taste.

7. runbmp

runbmp What's a Dremel?

I personally enjoy Opera and Firefox 4. Chrome although fast, just feels like its too simplistic and doesn't offer the user customization that firefox has.

8. Stewb

Stewb What's a Dremel?

With chrome that is unnecessary (at least in my experience) you can have keywords for all the website searches you want (it autofills them the first time you use them though with a default keyword) that you type in the url bar and then press tab. Then whatever you type next it will search on that website. I personally find that quicker than the firefox method where you have to change the search it will use with the drop down box (unless I am missing something).

9. Kenny79

Kenny79 I own a Dremel!

Chrome+adblock=Cheesecake

10. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

What's everyone done to their firefox to make it so slow? Comparing mine to chrome they both load pages almost instantly.

11. Daedelus

Daedelus What's a Dremel?

Why do you need it? Just type your search in to the address bar and it will do a Google search.

12. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    And it will show a google page with the results. How to make it work so that you are taken to the "I feel lucky" result?
    Type imdb scarlett and be immediately taken to Scarlett Johanssons page in IMDB.

13. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

14. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I'm happy enough with Firefox so I see no reason to go to Chrome. I did try it when it first came out to see what it was about, but that's as far as I got.

15. Hereisphilly

Hereisphilly What's a Dremel?

I find it really useful to google something, then see more info about said topic in wikipedia (without having to go all the way back to google), then see what the price is on amazon or ebay, or if there are any videos on youtube, all without typing anything extra! As for the keyword search, i might give that a go, but i think i'll still have to type it out...

I also came across rockmelt, which seems to have added in the search bar to chrome, but you cant customise the engines. It sdoes have some really awesome features tho!

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/2011/04/22/rockmelt-google-chrome-only-better

16. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

I started using Chrome on my netbook as it seemed to be lower footprint than Firefox and just carried on using it on my desktop PC as well after I got used to it.

I have to use Firefox, IE 8 & 9 as well as Safari at work for testing and support purposes but I always point customers towards Chrome as it's by far the easiest to use from the user's perspective as you simply don't have to do anything to it.

17. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

spelling: http://www.askvg.com/how-to-disable-google-chrome-built-in-spell-checker/
    felling lucky: http://blog.stevehorn.cc/2009/02/google-chrome-feeling-lucky-search.html

as for the others... try searching the plugin database for something similar...

18. coliea

coliea What's a Dremel?

Been a FF user for years but I'm now a Chrome convert both at home and in the office. The clean interface and support for Xmarks, Adblock, IETab and Last Pass appeals to me. Tried FF4 when it was eventually released but by then it was too late... I'd been Chromified.

19. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

FF4 user, tried chrome, didn't like how slow it felt, went back to FF4. I don't use any addons or plugins except for silverlight and adobe flash. FF4 blocks ads and popups just fine.

20. GeneGenie

GeneGenie What's a Dremel?

Same here. Google chrome also seemed to crash a lot more than FF4 and kept losing all my preferences, something that becomes tiresome quickly!

Tags: Add Tags