1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics MSI GTX460 OC weird problem

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by keith_j_snyder2, 12 May 2011.

1. keith_j_snyder2

keith_j_snyder2 What's a Dremel?

Hi all,

I recently changed few things in my rig. One of them is MSI GTX460 OC. It works fine in safe mode. Now i m getting some weird problem, Everytime i boot the system, it gives bad 3D performance. I see some spots on the screen & frequent crashing of drivers & eventually BSOD & error of nvlddmkm.sys
    Now i 've googled around & found that this is pretty old error & tried every possible way mentioned. So RMAed the card & the same card came back. I thought may be something wrong with my system so i checked it on my buddy's system too & same thing happening there. I even bought & installed a fresh copy of 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium & installed the latest drivers again.

http://yfrog.com/6691458692p

I installed the latest drivers & the problem remains. I even used driver sweeper to remove the older drives & installed new drivers in safe mode. If i use my 7200GS on same drivers, it works perfectly fine.

My pc specs are:
    AMD Athlon II X3 445
    Gigabyte M68M-S2P
    Corsair 2x2GB XMS2
    WD 640GB AAKS
    Corsair VX450W

Please suggest me some solution to this.

2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I wouldn't have considered the Corsair PSU you have too little at 450W but given the problems you listed I'm leaning towards a lack of proper power to the GTX460. If it's possible to try the GTX460 in a rig with a higher rated quality PSU then do it. If it works then you'll almost certainly benefit from a beefed up PSU.

3. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

What was the PSU rating of your mates PC thought?

4. keith_j_snyder2

I don't think it should be a problem as the reviews & the box's requirements mention 450W & 24A PSU. Besides one of the friend also have the same GPU & he's using Corsair CX400W & his system is running fine.

5. keith_j_snyder2

He's got Cooler Master GX650W with him.

6. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

If it were me I'd try disconnecting all non essential stuff such as DVD-ROM and any additional non-boot drives. Also other devices that draw power such as flash drives and case cooling fans. Then simply test the card out again with a gaming session. If it works then you have yourself an issue with too much power being drawn from the PSU when everything is connected. At least this test could rule it out if your unsure.

7. keith_j_snyder2

dude i can totally understand the idea of me removing all extra items but when i hooked it to a 650W PSU that can run a GTX590, i find hard to understand the concept.