1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Apple tries harder to prevent upgrades

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 16 May 2011.

1. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Have you seen how much Apple charge for hard drive upgrades? Have have to pay £80 extra on an Macbook to get a 500GB disk compared with a 250. Not to mention having to pay about twice what RAM is worth.

Apple's computer business model works off doing simple stuff for you and charging you a lot for the privilege. They don't want people upgrading HDD's because they could be doing that for you and charging you a huge sum for it.

2. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

There. Fixed that for you.

3. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

This is exactly why I fill with rage at everything Apple, they want to kill my baby, if Apple received a monopoly like microsoft did the world we live in would be very different. I will protect my baby to the end, home built PC's forever!

4. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I've said it many times before, and I'm sure I'll be saying many times again: it's ironic that Apple were the ones who started the whole Microsoft anti-competitive thing in the 90s, and they've now become far more controlling than Microsoft ever were.

You have to give credit to their marketing department, though - I've heard their next job is to sell sand to Saudi and ice to Alaska!

5. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Apologists incoming in 3...2...1...

(Oooh it feels fuzzy to be 'that guy'. Normally it's a mac fanboy predicting a wave of uninformed criticism!)

That's not a world I want to live in. :(

6. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

Wow! That brought a tear to my eye :rock:

7. MajorTom

MajorTom Minimodder

8. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

TBH, I couldn't give a toss about Apple screwing their iMac customers.

If people insist on paying over the odds for a computer that is little more than a fashion item, they deserve to be fleeced at every turn. :p

[edit] *Shamelessly nicked from another forum*

:hehe:

9. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

When are the tech-Nazis that are Apple going to understand that the product we bought from them belongs to the customer, and that we aren't renting it?

Apple make utter ***** nowadays as far as I'm concerned; no innovation, and iOS has been behind the game for a while now. And let's not go near what will be wrong with the next version of OS X...

Sent from my Desire HD

10. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

ah yes but you are missing this "The cable-free, direct-attach drive solution lets you install and remove drives in a snap. To install a drive, you connect a simple drive carrier to the hard drive, then just slide it into place -- no cables or connectors to hassle with. Removing the drive is just as easy." - see. they have hotswap bays. see thats good.

11. Odini

Odini What's a Dremel?

12. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

@ spreadie: i prefer this one

... personally I still think Charlie Brooker is an annoying prat

It's no worse than when MS charging £80 for a 250GB HDD for the XBox 360

13. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I agree but, every now and again, even prats say something quote-worthy. :D

14. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Yes, but a single hotswap bay for an extra £200? For that price, I'd want it to install itself! :lol: :D

15. KiNETiK

KiNETiK What's a Dremel?

Apple desktop computing is a complete fail imo.

16. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

I know this has already turned into an Apple bashing exercise. However, I only look at Apple computers as Laptop components anyway whether it be the Macbook or iMac. How often to most general users upgrade or make changes to their Laptops? Other than Ram, I don't think I've changed anything else.

Is this really an issue?

As for comparing it to Microsoft charging £80 for an Xbox HDD, that's a completely different topic and it isn't a normal HDD in the first place.

17. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

nazi's!

thank god you can still change the hard drive in the new mbp's that's all i can say, or i wouldn't bother buying one

18. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Really? I thought it was just a bog-standard 2.5" HDD with a custom firmware - in fact, just like Apple are doing...

19. misterd77

misterd77 What's a Dremel?

last yr my mother wanted more memory, she took her mac to a mac dealer, got a new hdd installed, the price including labour, £326, I went mental, sure she got a 2tb drive, but for xxxx times the price a pc one would have cost, I phoned a local pc shop and enquired for the cost of a hdd replacement for a pc, for a 2tb drive, £65, with the same warranty as apple, so apple made over £200 profit at LEAST on a simple hdd upgrade. I am angry at apple ripping off my dear old ma, but at the same time impressed at the ability to do so, I have now bought shares in Apple Corp. (my dear old ma, bless her, now hates Steve Jobs, and swears when she see's him on tv, when footage of him at the ipad2 launch appeared, ma belted out, "iv paid that scum so he can prance about in his vneck, I hope he catches something terrible", I didnt have the heart to tell her..., so steve, even grannies are pissed off with ya..!

20. ./^\.Ace./^\.

./^\.Ace./^\. What's a Dremel?

Apple started up as a computer company that was friendly to users and alowed them to tinker with there computers because IBM was locked up and un-friendly. Now IBM is open to upgrades and mods and it is Apple that is locked up and un-friendly. They tell us that OSX is locked up to save us from hackers and people that want to break our computers, really it is so the developers have to pay Apple to support there programs. what harm can a hard drive upgrade do to a computer, nothing. Apple just wants to be the only one that can sell and install the hard drive for you that way they make even more money off you.

Apple will continue to do stupid things like this as long as people alow them to. I think it is wromg and that is why I don't use Macs. So people should stand up an tell them to be open again, with hardware and software.

Tags: Add Tags