1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Crucial M4 256GB Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 16 May 2011.

1. kzinti1

kzinti1 What's a Dremel?

I sure am glad I didn't wait on this review to order one of these. I bought it for $320 USD with free shipping! I should have it here by tomorrow.
    Even if the C300 is a little faster it's EOL. I prefer the latest version of hardware when possible.

2. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

The Vertex 3 is £80 more which just isn't worth it.

3. aron311

aron311 What's a Dremel?

Bought this drive last week, miles faster than a hard drive and for £325 also a good deal better value than the Vertex 3 256 at £415.

At this size I don't need to run a noisy hard drive in the system either, no brainer!

4. bobwya

bobwya Custom PC Migrant

Is it true that the non-Intel controller/built SSD's have a much higher failure rate (like double I think I read - 2% vs 4-5%)? Sways me towards getting another Intel drive. Especially their new tech. to map out damaged parts of NAND pages... I'll never forget seeing that ZDNET video where Rupert Goodwin's irradiates an Intel SSD with an Alpha source - no CRC errors and no drop in transfer speed!

What I like about SSD's isn't the speed but the smoothnes (500 Mb/s sounds great - but does the drive stutter with some workloads). My Intel 160Gb G2 SSD served me very well (till I had to sell it on due to poverty). Never had a glitch when I was gaming and it still had 99% wear-levelling capacity...

Intel fanboiiii or just being prudent??

(NB I would get an OCZ drive purely for their diligent work with Indilex on the original Vertex :) )

5. aron311

aron311 What's a Dremel?

I'm not sure alpha particles are something to worry about, they can be stopped by pieces of paper. I thought it was things like gamma rays which could cause the problem, most passing straight through but occasionally being absorbed and causing errata?

Intel drives do seem to have the lowest return rates as you mention, I'm not certain about percentages but I think I read Intel 0.5%, Corsair 2.1% and OCZ and most other manufacturers about 2.5% on AnandTech, so none are really that bad.

I've had the occasional stutter on my 256GB m4 after transferring all of my data with Acronis from a Raptor. Only other experience with a SSD was a 64gb Vertex 2 I tested briefly that I bought for somebody and I have to say it felt slightly snappier, though that was a clean install and this one is some what weighed down with software on boot... anybody else have any experience with several different SSD's?

6. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

You guys used to have windows7 loading time graphs on SSD and HHD. Whatever happened to that?

7. aron311

aron311 What's a Dremel?

Updated the BIOS, disabled SMART and it seems a bit less jittery :)

I think any remaining is due to having two other hard drives in the system which Windows will inevitably try and look at when you do certain things..

8. kzinti1

kzinti1 What's a Dremel?

I do believe that if bit-tech would review this ssd again, with the latest firmware downloaded to it or a new one with the latest firmware preinstalled, that the score for this ssd would be far greater than what is now shown.
    The performance increase with the latest firmware, Revision 0009, is actually unbelievable. It matches or beats anything put out by OCZ plus it's far more reliable than any of the other ssd's I own.

9. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

please delete

Tags: Add Tags