1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IMF chief arrested

Discussion in 'Serious' started by thehippoz, 16 May 2011.

1. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

http://www.businessinsider.com/imf-chief-arrested-in-sodomy-investigation-2011-5

man what the heck most powerful guy and future french presidential candidate attacks a maid? that's sad

I hope his high paid lawyer chokes on his chicken too.. wouldn't be surprised if the girl is paid some crazy amount of money

first the guy from wikileaks and now a old french guy.. what kind of family values are being taught over in europe nowdays :hehe: j/k

2. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Judging by the above two cases, how to rape Americans.

Seriously though, everybody is human. I don't really see the reason to be any more surprised and outraged about this then about the same from any random on the street. Just because they're in the news doesn't mean they're not people, and people do bad things.

3. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Yeah, I mean who hasn't sexually assaulted a maid while in a hotel, right guys? ........Guys?

eddie_dane likes this.
  4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

No, that's people for you. As Spec says, power and status does not make you more or less messed up/evil, it just makes it easier to live in denial and avoidance of the consequences.

You travel more than me. :p

5. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

Replace maid with chimpanzee and hotel with petting zoo........

OT: Some people treat other people like they don't matter.

6. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Fixed.

7. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

Technically he's innocent as things stand. (Granted it doesn't look likely to stay that way for long..)

But yep, I agree with the sentiments of earlier posts that being in the public eye more doesn't mean that someone is less (or more) likely to do this sort of thing.

8. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Everyone has a dark side.

9. Nexxo

Have you been watching the Star Wars trilogy back-to-back again?

10. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Not at all. I've always believed that inside everyone (read, vast majority) there's a rapist, murderer etc. Normal people from normal backgrounds, placed into situations which allow certain elements of their psyche to come to fore.

11. Pieface

Pieface Modder

I'm sorry, I know it's suspicious and all, but what happened to Innocent until proven guilty, yet the talk in this thread is he's guilty immediately. It's what got some papers in trouble over the Joanna Yeates murder, where the landlord got victimised, and treated like a murderer, when in the end he was found innocent. Especially as the OP blames the guy of Wikileaks, on a dodgy case as it is.

12. genesisofthesith

genesisofthesith complete spanner

Until this goes to court I'd be very careful to come to any conclusions - but I have to wonder if there is a chance this is an orchestrated attack at a political opponent/ potential presidential rival.

A case such as this could come down to two opposing stories and no forensic proof of guilt - yet as soon as the story broke a reputation was damaged, probably beyond repair.

13. Nexxo

That is true, although he does appear to have a track record. A French writer has come forward stating he assaulted her in 2002, when she visited him to interview him for a book she was writing. Her own mother persuaded her not to file charges at the time "because he was a friend of the family" (yeah, that old chestnut).

He also appears to have left the New York hotel in a hurry, leaving his mobile phone and some personal possessions behind.

14. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

Well said. Have to admit I was sucked in by the reporting of Yates murder. First the headline, then the little build-up, and then the image of him, and I thought "yeah! he looks a bit weird and murderer-like".

None of us can draw conclusions on this either. I find it very suspect that the IMF guy had a couple of days to get back to France and lodge his bid for elections as French president and was the favourite to beat Sarkozy. Just saying.

15. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Assuming these allegations are true, that looks pretty damning. I heard on the radio yesterday that DNA evidence has been gathered as well.

Time will tell.

I know people are people... but seriously.. does he think he can get away with stuff like this under some immunity law?

He may well be innocent, but if not, he's clearly an idiot.

16. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Power, status and wealth. I'm sure he lives a life isolated from the rest of us and within his world who would believe one of the plebs over him?

17. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Innocent until proven guilty anyone? Anyone? No?

18. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

No, damn you!!

Drag him behind a car, chop him up with an axe and burn him!

If we're wrong, we can always apologise. That'll make everything all better. :lol:

adidan likes this.
  19. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Well, that did work with Afghanistan and Iraq...

20. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Not sure I'd agree that it 'worked'. :lol: