1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Apple tries harder to prevent upgrades

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 16 May 2011.

1. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Without excusing apple they do tend to use mobile parts in their computers which put price up a bit and like all shops take a cut of a service charge. Yes they do overcharge for both and it is stupid you cant upgrade yourself

2. j1o2h3n4

j1o2h3n4 What's a Dremel?

Apple is milking the apple community.

3. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

Hmm... well, glad I dont own any Apple products at all. And simply put glad I never was able to get into them (and by able I mean my parents couldnt afford the darn things, hence why PC users are more common imo).

Hi, I'm a PC. :)

4. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

Fixed! :thumb:

5. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

sales must have started dropping off due to consumers tightening their purse strings, hence they would rather upgrade than buy a whole new iMac. So obviously they want more control and money over that process.

I'm sure the most tech-savvy Mac users will find a way ;)

6. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

I really would like to know why Macs are kiddies toys. You obviously sporting a Mac makes you computer illiterate....would love for you to explain that one....

I have a MacBook Pro and it is one of the best things I have ever bought. Its BSD with a beautiful GUI in top why would I not want it. Its about 10 times better than the mess that is windows 7 anyway

Yours sincerely loving Mac User. xxx

7. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

I wouldn't say that the initial price for some machines is too high.

However, those of you that are using the excuse of mobile parts and labour are missing the point. The fact is, you can't upgrade your own system. It's really as simple as that. The fact is it's a basic part that should be user replaceable.

And we can upgrade our own drives in many laptops. To me, that finishes the argument altogether. It runs hot? Design around that, like every other all-in-one out there.

Desktop processor? Laptops running desktop processors fair fine hard drive replacements...

Sent from my Desire HD

8. Ergath

Ergath Giant Zombie Pigeon Photographer

The most annoying thing about Apple for me is the feats of hyperbole that iFans reach in describing their precious investments. It's like there's a commandment " thou shalt not speak of the works of the blessed JOBS without using the word beautiful at least once"

In fairness I think this article is a bit of a non-issue, in that most iMac users just want a nice computer and see Apple as the premium choice. Like most people they will very rarely think about the spec until something goes wrong, which it probably won't (for a few years.)

Personally I'll stick with "the mess that is Windows 7" thanks.

9. veato

veato I should be working

I just bought an iMac and genuinely did not see it as a 'premium choice'. My thinking from the outset was that I wanted a 27" IPS monitor. That meant the Dell Ultrasharp. If I added onto that the Bit-Tech "enthusiast" base PC plus the few bits it's missing (OS, webcam, speakers, etc) as I need a whole new PC the price difference was nothing or near as makes no difference.

On that basis I could choose a custom build which a) I expect would perform a little better even though the specs are extremely closely matched and b) would allow incremental upgrades OR an iMac which can't be incrementally upgraded but will be silent, small and I hate to admit it a lot better looking in a modern lounge than a PC.

The so called premium product or increase cost were found not factors and/or false.

I'm not daft though. At no point did I think once I had an iMac I'd be pulling the screen off to get to the innards. I'd be amazed if anyone buys an iMac on the illusion they can upgrade/replace the parts to be honest.

If you want to tinker/replace/upgrade then you'd be stupid to buy an all-in-one regardless of brand, Apple or not IMO.

10. Guinness

Guinness What's a Dremel?

That's a careless comment. Not even the most die-hard Apple fan would dare to claim that an imac offers value for money!
    Building your own pc to a greater spec than your imac would save you £300-400. Plus it would be overclockable, graphically more potent (enabling you to actually play games at that res) and be upgradable!

And on the topic of upgrading, who gives a monkies! If someone is happy to spend over the odds for a slice of apple iPie, I doubt they want to/know how to upgrade and will probably be happy to take their broken mac to an authorized repair centre.

11. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    You are not factoring the... "locked" aspect.
    If you had bought a normal PC you would be able to upgrade it for years. With the iMac you are locked to that configuration, unless you pay what Apple wants.
    With a PC you would be selling your old parts for 100 and buying new better parts for 200, keeping the PC updated. With the iMac you are married to it.

12. veato

Do the math then. You build a Core i5, 4GB, 6970M (6850), 64bit pro OS, and all the rest of the bits to make a full PC the same spec as an iMac (remember the monitor).

Like I said I used Bit-techs enthusiast build + the additional stuff to make it up to a full PC + a Dell Ultrasharp 27" IPS. Price came out the same. I'm not lying! :hehe:

An admittedly quick calculation shows (prices from Overclockers)

Dell U2711 £665.99
    Bit-Tech PC £645
    OS £114.98
    Logitech Wireless Keyb/Mouse MK520 £35.99
    Logitech Speakers X-140 £16.99
    MS LifeCam 720p Cam £36.76

= £1515.71

Which is more than I paid for the top 27" off-the-shelf built and supported iMac (with discount) or not a great deal less than the full RRP.

Feel free to do better. Build a like-for-like spec.

13. veato

But I dont need to keep it updated. I'm not a gamer who needs to upgrade my gfx card every year. If I decide to upgrade in 3 years time it will still be worth more than £500 which will go to the cost of any upgrade. The only difference is I'm replacing the whole system and not a few individual components.

**edit

although after three years with technology moving on like CPU socket types, RAM speeds, etc a fuller upgrade might be required for a PC. e.g. my Q6600 isnt all that old and I was resigned to a full upgrade this year

Last edited: 17 May 2011
  14. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    So you see a computer as any other electric appliance (a dish washing machine, a vacuum cleaner, etc) you replace it when it gets older\stops working for another one?

15. veato

A laptop, tablet, netbook or all-in-one.... yes of course. And that's got nothing to do with the brand or the OS it's running. They're simply not designed to be upgraded for the most part beyond RAM/HDD upgrades.

A desktop windows based PC.... possibly not. Depends on the current spec, who's using it, what it's for and how far technology has moved on since it was bought/built.

I used to regualrily upgrade my own retaining as much as possible but at some point the whole lot had to go e.g. when I moved from Opteron 146 to Q6600.

16. will_123

Im not a "iFan" i just like OSX plain and simple. You stick whatever you want I really don't give damn and ill describe my purchases wherever I want tbh and if it annoys you ill do it even more.

17. will_123

Im not a "iFan" i just like OSX plain and simple. You stick whatever you want I really don't give damn and ill describe my purchases wherever I want tbh and if it annoys you ill do it even more.

18. will_123

Sorry for the double post. Phone went mental.

19. Deders

Deders Modder

iPhone?

David likes this.
  20. will_123

Haha. No fortunately not. Its a Desire HD with CyogenMod

Tags: Add Tags