1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unwelcome Parents

Discussion in 'General' started by Astrum, 3 Mar 2003.

1. Astrum

Astrum Dare to dream.

[rant]
    Alright, I'm in college, so I don't see my parent's much. So I went over there this weekend to write some scholarship applications and visit. Well I did all of the work and stuff like that. Then, when I was sleeping, they actually took my papers, rewrote them, and did all this other CRAP. I mean come on! I don't believe that letter read "To the parent's of ME!". Actually, it was addressed to the Sherrod Scholarship Foundation. They read through my personal essays, which I do infact find very personal. And you can't retype things withour reading the f*** thing. So needless to say I am uber-miffed. I just love parents who have nothing better to do than invade my personal life. Why don't they just search my damn house next. They might find a term paper or two they can rewrite!
    [/rant]

P.S. - Shoot me

2. KMS-oul

KMS-oul You think you know me.

That is a bit out of order its an invasion of your privacy but they had your best interests at heart. I'd have a word with them.

3. Astrum

Astrum Dare to dream.

I believe two words are in order. Starting with f***, ending with off.

And I believe they had their own interests at heart. More scholarship money, less they have to pay. It's been that way.

4. miss_d_bus

miss_d_bus What's a Dremel?

I dont blame them wanting to pay less money.
    My parents are putting both my brother and I through university and it is not cheap. We both have a lot of debt ourselves as well and I reckon I should graduate with about £17,000 or so.

5. Astrum

Astrum Dare to dream.

Point being they invaded my privacy. I did all the work, they don't need to add their touches. And what really pisses me off it that I have to use this crap because they threw my papers away and replaced it with this!

6. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

What worries me about this is the way your parents went about it AP. They must have known it was underhand cos they waited until you were asleep. I think that's pretty bad IMHO.

I've had similar experiences with my parents. They decided which classes I would take at GCSE and also tried to force me to do the A-Levels they wanted me to do. It didn't happen... the way they went about it ended up with me walking out of 6th form and enroling at college. Just as well I did, they were the best 2 years of my life. :naughty:

They also did it with the Census form a while back. I'm 26 and still living with my parents (albeit in the converted attic and only share a kitchen with them) because it's too expensive to live round here. I've been saving for a mortgage for years. Anyhoo, I get back from work and find that my Dad has filled in the Census form for me as I'm "too stupid to fill it in"... gee thanks :rolleyes:

It ended with a HUGE argument as they'd put me down as Christian and I've never been Christian. Mum decided that I'd have to get a denouncement from the ArchBishop in order to not be Christian anymore as she'd had me Christened (when I was 18 months old).... sometimes I think that my parents may be insane....

7. eaterofpies

eaterofpies What's a Dremel?

im 19 and my parents put me down as christian in the census and i dont think ive ever believed in god :grr: also they decided what gcses i would do but i just got another form from school and filled it in. i think they got the message about my education then cos they didnt even ask me about my A -Level courses. but the thing that really really really annoys me is that my dad sometimes opens my bank statements and other mail :grr: even tho it says private and confidential on the front :(

8. miss_d_bus

miss_d_bus What's a Dremel?

Being christened doesnt make you a Christian! Going to church doesnt even make you a christian! There is a lot more to it than that. I wont explain on here but its about living a Christian lifestyle and having God in your life. No bishop can decide who is and who isnt. Its not like joining a club and then wanting to have your subscription cancelled!

My mother opens my mail but I have asked her to as I am at uni. I trust her and anything i dont want her to see will come to the uni anyway.

Some parents find it hard to accept their children are no longer children and are turning into adults. They do things because either they dont want their child to grow up and leave them, think they are still babies, or they get selfish and want what they want for their children.
    So if dad didnt get a chance to do O Level Latin at school he always wanted to do, forcing his son to do it even though he is crap at French and hates it, is a bad move.

9. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

Exactaly.

Anyway, my parents are a little invading, but I think every one's parrents are just a tiny bit, otherwise I would worry ;)

10. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

Can we refrain from religious discussion? From my experience (and without tarring anyone), I find most people are too stubbourn, too arrogant, too pathetic and too selfish to open their tiny brains to religion for a single second. They find the idea that anyone could possibly follow religion a totally ridiculous and hilarious idea.

I'm stopping now.

11. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

My parents are rather invading also... eg... comming into my room to "tidy" when I know it's a mess but it's an organised mess... also they have a habit of comming into my room without warning and standing there while I talk to people on IM clients for a while and keep reading what I'm saying and who too with a lot of who's this, who's that, are you giving them details about yourself... HOW DO YOU KNOW THEY'RE NOT PEADOPHILES

ARGHHHHHHHHH if i gave a ****e i would do something about it!!!!

I at least got to fill in my own census.... *grins* I'm a jedi *grins some more*

May the force be with you:D

12. eaterofpies

eaterofpies What's a Dremel?

completely agree

EDIT removed stuff that might eevntually have caused flame war

13. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

my parents have always been fiarly cool but I just couldn't live in the same house (make that within a half hours drive) as them.... and haven't since I was 18 (now nearly 24) I now just tell them as little as possible about my life if they wanna know what I'm up to they generally just ask my sister (and she gives them edited highlights)

me and my 'rents get on so much better that way.... I now just live in fear of the day they both ritire and decide they wanna move back down south to be closer to me and my sister:sigh: :sigh:

EDIT: and as for the census... I think I must have missed that (or someone else filled it in for me.... not that I care.... flippin' marketing questionaires for the government)

14. Jaz

Jaz Banned

i own my parents

15. Stew

Stew Disgruntled Postal Worker

My Parents were great.

16. samuelellis

samuelellis What's a Dremel?

my parents generally cant get near my stuff as i keep my music at too loud a voluem for them & only i know what is & isnt live in this room, i think thats enough inscentive to stay out dont you

17. micb

micb Minimodder

WTF I can't believe how out of order that it to invade you and you personal space like that.

I am totally shocked that some parents could do that.

Damm I am very lucky, I have always got on brillantly with my mother, she respected my personal life when I was a child.

I have been granted total freedom of choice for my life since I was 15 years old (I'm 22 now).

We still live together as a family with my twin brother and younger sister.

18. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

I don't understand how they could sneak in at night, alter all your essays and expect you not to notice. :eyebrow: Could they not have asked to proof-read them or something? (that's what my mum does). Did they seriously expect you to just accept "their" version of the essays and hand it in as your own. I would have said that if they wanted to the thing for me to just hand it in themselves and not waste my own time doing something they're just going to rip up. Or if they do give you something they think is better then just don't give it in. :rolleyes:

19. Astrum

Astrum Dare to dream.

The thing is when I sleep, I can hear everything, but I can't wake myself up.
    I actually didn't notice they changed some of my essays until yesterday. They were due today and I had no time to un-revise them. They did ask me if they could proof read them. I told them no, I am capable and do not want help from overbearing parents.
    I actually threw a few scholarships away. I would rather take out a student loan than turn in work that has been altered without my permission. Of course my dad threw a fit when he heard I threw some essays away. Now I have a broken phone that I threw at a wall.
    I can't stand either of them. But what am I going to do? Nothing I suppose. Maybe I can just move to Japan. I've always wanted to live there.

P.S. I hate Windows.

20. SilverBullet

SilverBullet Banned

Exaclty the same here, My mum has always granted me my personnaly space and life, and always said "children shouldnt be grounded, should be out playing" she always had me on a loose leese, but whenever something did go wrong or i did something bad, she would yank me back again.

On the essasy subjecti find it very hard to believe parents would do that, only on very important pieces of work i ask my mum and sister to read them, but still i can not believe your rents did that.

Sorry Dude