1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming The Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 17 May 2011.

1. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

How come you guys didn't a graphics benchmark? this looks like a beast to run and i wan't to know which settings sap the most performance.

2. b0ng0

b0ng0 Reddomitlum

As Claave said, they don't actually have the retail code which is optimised performance-wise from their preview code.

I was wondering how they posted a review when the game had only been out for 4 hours, unless there's some serious speed gaming going on :D.

3. fatty beef

fatty beef State Side

First game was a little clunky at times and started slow. After the 2nd chapter it starts rolling and you can legitimately irritate people so it gets more interesting and kick ass if you stick with it.

Hysterical dialogue options at times. But overall pretty engaging and fun. Way better than Mass Effect or DA if we are using those as the bar. Like not even close. No char customization but with the choices you can make or ignore that more than makes up for it.

I thought the cards were funny - total cultural thing - growing up in pretty Polish area stateside I get it (more of a joke than anything) but can see where some people would find it stupid/offensive. Some of the dialogue options as well were super Polish and amusing in themselves.

That Aurora engine looks better than the Unreal one used in the ME series (which makes me throw in my mouth) and the footage (will be waiting for me when I get home from work) from the Witcher 2 looks pretty glorious.

Playing the first one is probably worth it, cant say one way or another but it looked like you get to keep some items and gold which is boss but it takes a while to get through it. It's not like you can just run through it in 10-12 hours though so expect it to take a while.

Can't wait to give this a try.

4. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Ahh, relief it's a gooden :clap:, this & L.A. Noir could hold up my mod considerably :D.

Gonna buy it right now from GOG & get it downloading & hopefully get a good bit done on my mod while it downloads woo hoo :D.

5. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

So glad this game didn't suck, and I hope it goes on to sell very well. I really do think everyone, even the most die hard of Steam fans should consider getting this on GoG.com just to support what they are doing and own a truly DRM free version of a AAA game.

6. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

I played the first one recently after putting it off.

It's one of the single best games I've ever played, immediately made my top 10 along side the original mafia, original halflife, deus ex and the like.

Please go and play the first if you havn't...reviews dont do it justice as it was re-released with alot of fixes.

I've been looking forward to the second installment and it looks as though it wotn disapoint!

7. Apoptosis

Apoptosis What's a Dremel?

€49,99 in both Steam an GoG.com, glad I pre-ordered a physical copy from Play.com for less than €32. How can it be so much cheaper to manufacture a disc and package and ship it, than to download a digital copy?

8. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

I really, really want to play the first one through, but I just bored to tears somewhere around the second chapter, and I hate myself for that because the game really comes across like a labour of love and exactly the sort of thing I'd normally love. I just can't handle the slowness of those early stages. I blame the way the game lured me in though to be honest, I feel so compelled to wring everything out of it that I kind of get bogged down. I can't play a game half arsed, and fully arsed, well that just takes a long time, so I get stuck. Here's hoping the sequel warms up a little faster.

9. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

:( :( :(

Came home expecting to play this game only to find a bloody Royal Mail note saying the parcel was too big to fit through the letterbox! Aarggggggggggghhhhhh it's only the premium edition as well! Will have to wait until tomorrow before I can get my mitts on this :waah:

Edit: Actually after watching this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAxjqUYPJaU I understand the postie's dilemma... didn't quite expect all the "premium" content to come in more than a DVD box. Lesson learned - always deliver to the office from now on :wallbash:

10. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

95%, it seems the game will be as good as i hoped it'd be :D

i'm replaying the 1st one before i get my hands on the witcher 2.

11. mckoneds

mckoneds What's a Dremel?

I really want to get this and support people who are doing real PC development. Seems like CD Projekt, Valve, and Blizzard are the only companies we have left. Unfortunately I haven't finished #1 yet, and have a pile of games to play already on my steam list. It may be a while before I get to this.

12. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

So jsut played about an hour, and jesus funk me chirst its good!... but with only a single 5850 screaming its balls of to run it on max at only 15fps, im not playing till i can get a second 5850 to max the game...

13. Hardware150

Hardware150 Minimodder

Preordered this off gog.com, still working my way through the first witcher though.

Damned work and all.

14. knyghtryda

knyghtryda What's a Dremel?

Ugh... I really don't want to buy the retail version with DRM, but its $15 less than the digital version. Whyyyyyyy?

15. radziecki

radziecki What's a Dremel?

It makes me proud to be Polish :D

16. radziecki

radziecki What's a Dremel?

And for all of you who are wondering about the price difference between GOG and Steam - GOG is CD Projekt own distribution platform, hence the difference.

17. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D But I'm going to have to unsubscribe from this thread now so I don't get dragged into playing the game until I finish my mod but can't wait to play through it :thumb:.

18. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

I had 5 mins so figured I'd have a quick blast, and well, you can tell I'm not an RPG player :)

First issue was the pop on tutorials were very small and hard to read at a glace, and disappeared very quickly before I could read them all, and I was left not really knowing wtf to do other then hack and slash. This, I'm happy to admit his due to me being a total newcomer to these types of RPG, so I guess I'll have to read up more about it.

19. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

This is the big fly in the ointment with CD-Projekt's release strategy in my view.

If you want DRM-free, you have to pay more (and European users have to pay US$65.97 compared to the US/UK pricing of US$49.99) while missing out on the physical goodies like paper manuals and maps.

If you want the best price, a nice box for your shelf, a manual you can read while on the toilet (please don't offer suggestions on doing this with a PDF copy!) and a map you can ogle while waiting on the loading screens, you then have obnoxious online activation DRM to deal with.

If you want the most convenience, you have to buy twice (one physical, one GOG).

20. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Press J. The Journal has an expansive and easily accessible manual in it. Some of the stuff it fills in as you go, such as the spells, but it's overflowing with content and lore to start with.

Tags: Add Tags