1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice 1st Build Advice Much Needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zyvisu, 17 May 2011.

1. zyvisu

zyvisu What's a Dremel?

Hi, I'm about to purchase the following generally based on the recommendations I've read:

CPU: 3.3GHz Intel Core i5-2500K (£156)
    Mobo: Asus P8P67 (£118)
    Memory: Corsair Memory XMS3 Classic 4GB DDR3 1600MHz (£40)
    Graphics: MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II/OC (£185)
    PSU: Antec TruePower New 650W (£90)
    CPU Cooler: Dark Rock Advanced (£41)
    Case: Fractal Design Define R3 (£80)
    Drive: Samsung DVD Writer, SH-S223C/BEBE (£15)
    Storage: 1TB Samsung SpinPoint F3 (£40)
    Cooling Fan: 120mm Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 RPM (£13)
    Sound Card: M-Audio Audiophile 2496 - 4-in/4-out Audio Card with MIDI and Digital I/O (£66)
    Monitor: Viewsonic VX2239WM 22" (£119)

My main uses would be gaming but i also need an audio soundcard capable of being used with music programs (Ableton & Reason), which is why I've selected the M-Audio, rather than the Asus Xonar DX. Will this be a problem for gaming in relation to sound issues & would it be ok with this motherboard? Because of the music production I'm also wondering would I need 8gbs ram instead of 4?

When it comes to a monitor I need on that's cheap but good!! Does anyone know if the Viewsonic VX2239WM is any good or should i go for something else? (I've been using my ever faithful Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 720 which has out lasted my more modern monitors!)

With the Define R3 i heard extra fans maybe need, if so how many & which ones?

Finally should I get the Dark Rock Advanced cooler or the Thermaltake Frio?

I'm dying to get building so your advice is much appreciated. Thank you.

2. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Will you be overclocking? If not, then you will not really require any additional fans in the R3, espcially as the CPU you have chosen runs nice and cool anyway.

Again, if you are not overclocking, i would opt for a Gelid Tranquillo as the air cooler.... Why? Performance is good, its very quiet which fits with the ethos of the case you have chosen, and if your not oc'ing, then you wont really need the additional performance of the Frio/dark rock. The tranquillo will also place less stress on your motherboard.

If you are overclocking, then perhaps yes, additional fans would be helpful to get the airflow up.

Also, my personal preference would be to go for a 1450rpm GT, as the 18050's can sometimes have a 'whine' to them. Again, if your not overclocking, i would play to the strengths of the case you have chosen, which is quiet running.

3. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I use 1 extra 120 mm fractal fan as an intake but with the hdd cages in the way I don't think it makes a lot of odds.

I have bought 2 140mm but I haven't had to use them, temps are fine and I like the whisper quiet :)

4. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

While the Dark Rock cooler is great it is also, without exaggeration, EFFING BLOODY HUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE! Just something to consider, i knew it was big from the review/pictures but i saw one mocked up in a display case at the retailer who should not be named a couple of weeks ago and it really is stupidly massive.

For the cooling it gives (and its price) there's no reason to have it over a Frio or a Tranquilo in my opinion.

Other than that i really don't see any problems at all, however an extra 1450 GT as suggested wouldn't hurt in the case, belt+braces approach and all that. I, personally, like to have the case as cool as possible before considering specific coolers and a GT in an R3 will do nicely

5. markbrett64

markbrett64 thanks to denial I am now immortal

You could consider the Corsair H-50 as an alternative to the Dark Rock.

This motherboard has also had good reviews and could be a slightly cheaper alternative.

6. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Yeah i had a H50 in my R3. Brilliant cooler. Much neater, easy to fit, keeps everything cool and quiet. I would recommend changing the fan to something else on it though.

7. Sponge12349

Sponge12349 (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ ︵ ┻━┻

8. zyvisu

zyvisu What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the advice. I like the idea of the Corsair H-50, but i am considering oc'ing but its not a priority.

Just wondering if anyone can help me regarding my needs on the soundcard and monitor?