1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Major Audio Issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Agosen, 18 May 2011.

1. Agosen

Agosen What's a Dremel?

Hi guys, I have a "Music Window Soundsystem" speaker system, it is 5.1 I think and used to work flawlessly on my old setup, I recently bought a new Pc though and ever since I cant get it to setup properly, I know very little about audio and consider myself a complete noob.

Currently I have 3 cables from my speaker sub that go to my PC, one is from the rear, one from the center and sub speakers and one from the front, I first plugged them into the corresponding colours on the back of my PC (Designated by my speaker properties window). This produced no sound at all, infact the only way I can get any sound out of my speakers is by plugging into the green audio jack, that only plays whichever cable I plug in though, so if I plug center in it plays music out of center and sub.

How do I set it up so my music plays out of all the speakers?

My mobo is P67-UD3-B3.

Sorry for how vague im being, I currently can't walk or move very well so getting to the back of my speakers is a major problem, however if I need to then I can work something out.

Thanks in advance :)
    http://www.made-in-china.com/showro...A/China-5-1-Home-Theater-System-YT-5015-.html

These are the speakers I am using ^^

2. Deders

Deders Modder

I presume your using on board sound?
    Is it enabled in the bios and are the correct drivers installed?
    Does the speaker icon next to the windows clock have a cross through it?
    Are you using XP, or Vista/7?

Sometimes Vista/7 will default to (and stay with) Spdif out if there is no other connections plugged in. Right click the speaker icon, select playback devices and make sure that Speakers is set as default.

3. Agosen

Agosen What's a Dremel?

Sorry I should explain im an audio noob but im fairly proficient with Windows and pretty much everything else, Speakers are only enabled when I use the green audio port, the correct drivers are installed however I have no driver UI to play with only the default Windows hardware control panel. Im using 7, it does default to Spdif however if I disable Spdif nothing happens anyway as it doesnt detect speakers as plugged in when using the black, orange a lblue inputs.

Ill try checking if its enabled in BIOS now however I dont see why it wouldnt be by default.

Thanks.

4. Deders

Deders Modder

You don't have to disable SPDIF, you can just set Speakers to default.

If the drivers are installed then it is most likely enabled in the bios. which drivers are you using? the ones that came with windows or the ones from Gigabyte's website?

When you say the speakers only work when in the green slot does this mean you are now getting stereo sound through the front 2 speakers with all 3 jacks plugged in?

If you right click on the speakers you can configure them through windows.

5. Agosen

Agosen What's a Dremel?

I get sound through whichever speakers are plugged into the green port, IE If I plug the rear cable in I only get sound via the rear speakers...

The speakers count as "Not plugged in" UNLESS I plug a cable into the green port which results in only 1/3rd of the speakers being used ^

Speakers are currently set as default, the drivers im using are the ones that came with the mobo (IE the driver install disc from gigabyte).

How would a "Normal Configuration" of 5.1 look like in the rear of the PC? Because as I said, when I plug Rear into Grey/lt Blue, FL/FR into Black and Sub/center into orange I get NO sound whatsoever and speakers count as "Not Plugged in".

Thanks again.

6. Deders

Deders Modder

From what I've seen and use, standard colour coding is:

Green - Front L/R
    Black - Rear L/R
    Pink (or orange I guess) - Center/Sub.

By default windows expects to output to stereo, so you have to configure it to send 5.1 signals.

Right click on the speakers icon in the playback devices window and select configure speakers. Follow the wizard from there.

7. Agosen

Agosen What's a Dremel?

Hero :) Just needed configuring and some fiddling with the audio jacks, thanks alot mate - All working well now :D