1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Selling a 4 year old camera?

Discussion in 'General' started by mystvearn, 19 May 2011.

1. mystvearn

mystvearn any-may

Hi,

I got a Canon S3 IS which is in very good condition but I seldom use it now since I use my SE C510 phones more often. I've learned a lot of photographing with the S3 IS but I can tell that I will not get another prosumer/dslr anytime soon or ever. Its just the size and the convenience of carrying it around. My wife has a Panasonic Lumix TZ-7 which to be fair exceeds in almost every area of the S3 IS I currently have. The only thing going for the S3 IS is the removable LCD viewer which is handy for taking movies. In fact, most of the time it is used to take movies and snapshots in movies.

I have all the box and cables, however I need to find in the stores for the boxes, cables and manual. The CD, sd card, transfer cable and instruction manual (soft copy), canon strap and canon case are available immediately.

So what do you do when your camera is as old as mine or where do you sell it?

2. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Try the marketplace and if it fails to sell there, try ebay.

3. b3z

b3z What's a Dremel?

Sticking it on ebay would probably be your best bet, however if you have a certain price in mind make sure you put a reserve on it

4. mystvearn

mystvearn any-may

I still need to get the boxes in order to increase the price right? That may take time...

5. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Before you go and put it up on ebay, look at the listings for a few of them that are selling right now. Someone's bid £50 on one listing, reserve not met, and in another someone has set the starting price as 50, and no bids yet. Personally, I would just keep it, as it's often not worth giving it away for next to nothing. Some people are happy to sell stuff for next to nothing, if they aren't using it, regardless of how much they forked over when they bought it, I can't and would rather have something collect dust, or just give it to someone in my family rather than feel outdone.

6. mystvearn

mystvearn any-may

good point there

7. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

The TZ-7 is a bloody excellent zoom compact as well, so I'm not surprised an older camera makes you wonder if you should upgrade. I bought my other half a TZ-6 two Christmasses ago - all it doesn't have compared to the TZ-7 is HD recording which we didn't need.

Having said that, checking a review or two it does seem your S3 IS was rated as a rather good bridge camera and as long as you don't NEED to move up from 6 megapixels to 12 megapixels, or a slightly bigger screen, you may as well just keep it!!

8. mystvearn

mystvearn any-may

I see as 3mp as enough for any general purpose picture taking. Only optics, removable lens and higher video recording resolution are more important than megapixels.

9. bnicholls195

bnicholls195 What's a Dremel?

Agree with that, there can be too many megapixels in a camera's sensor.

10. InSanCen

InSanCen Buckling Spring Fetishist

For most people's purposes, printing a 10x8" off of 3 million pixels is fine, given a decen enough lens. I say keep it.

11. mystvearn

mystvearn any-may