1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other L.A. Noire Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by GravitySmacked, 15 May 2011.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Oh I read the Guardian review on the train this morning thinking nothing of it :p It was extremely positive. Bloody console exclusives, I really wanted to play it too :(

2. zatanna

zatanna What's a Dremel?

this is the only game i've seen with any real potential to tap my addictive predilections. i don't own an xbox or ps3 or i'd be all over it.

3. b3z

b3z What's a Dremel?

Looks quite good and the reviews i've seen have been favourable, not sure how much replayability it will have though so will probably pick it up when it drops in price.

4. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Where's the bit tech review, and play.com posted mine 3 days ago and it's still not here!

5. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

That's one of the reasons I don't pre-order from play.com anymore.

6. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Play are slow to deliver, I don't use them anymore... just Amazon.

Talking of which my copy of LA Noire hasn't arrived yet either! But it was only posted last night and I went for cheapo delivery. :)

7. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I tend to stick the game.co.uk or gameplay.co.uk as pre-orders land the day before release.

8. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

As far as the detective bit goes is this anything like Heavy Rain? I keep hearing how great the game is but Heavy Rain wasn't really for me, and I'm afraid that this will end up the same way.

9. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Loving it so far! It's kind of Grand Theft Auto with brains! The visuals are great, voice acting excellent and it plays well. I have a feeling it could get repetetive though.

One thing is for sure, there is no other game like it!

10. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Come on postie....

EDIT: Dammit, still no sign. Looks like I'll have to wait until next week. Ho-hum, I'll have to play F1 2010 and Civ 5 instead.

Last edited: 21 May 2011
  11. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Been watching a walk through on you tube, it's not going to be on pc so nothing to spoil. (I don't have a console)

It looked pretty good, kinda like Mafia 2 to me....drive somewhere, little bit of a shootout then look for evidence.

Oh and lots of cheesy voice overs.

Walkthrough-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoUvEN2wvS0

DON'T CLICK IF YOUR GOING TO BE PLAYING THE GAME.

12. Professor Chaox

Professor Chaox What's a Dremel?

From reviews I had seen the detective part of LA Noire sounds a little like the detective scenes of Heavy Rain, but I am yet to play it so maybe someone else could confirm this? For me that sold LA Noire to me because I loved detective parts of Heavy Rain.

On the question regarding which console to get, honestly they are pretty similar. Multiplat games tend to look better on the 360, but in my opinion the PS3 exclusive are better.

13. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I have sunk a lot of hours into this over the weekend and its a great game. A couple of obvious flaws are the motion capture and animation for the faces is excellent, for the rest of the body its mediocre which gives a disappointing disconnect. The open world environment of LA is severely lacking in personality and is very sterile. I think I have been spoiled by red dead redemption as its world was so full of character and life. I pretty much auto-travel everywhere as the driving sections are so boring.

The interrogations are fun even if they are over acted to the extreme to make clear distinctions between lieing, and telling the truth. The latter characters do catch you out though. I also often find it hard to link some of the lies to clues and keep track of who's who in the larger cases. That's probably just me though.

IMO the hype about the motion capture and facial animation IS justified. It really does make the game more immersive and the characters more believable. If the next GTA can combine the facial animation of this game and combine it with the characters and atmosphere of RDR then it will be truly awesome.

Some of the characters remind me of the picture below.

[​IMG]

14. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

The facial animations are indeed very, very good. I am enjoying the game - it's a bit like GTAIV playing Cluedo on steroids!

I am not very good at telling who is lying and who is telling the truth though - maybe I am just gullable! In my current investigation I have got every single response wrong so far - don't know if you can fail to solve a case, but if you can I think I will! I would be a rubbish detective in real life I think!

I am enjoying the change of pace the game brings though.

15. fev

fev Industry Fallout

Love LA Noire at the minute, blasted through to disk 2 where I've just entered the Vice Squad (after a nice little twist mid storyline)

16. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I'm finding the vice missions poor compared to homicide. :blah:

17. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

I'm a bit behind you guys - no spoilers please ;-) Looking forward to the twist though!

18. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

Have you tried responding to any of the dispatch calls? They help break up the lacking environment while driving. I try to do about 2-3 dispatch calls during the course of an investigation by driving personally to a new location and then auto-traveling if I am going back to a prior location. Some of them can be pretty intense. Just last night I responded to a dispatch for a bank robbery with shots fired and pulled up to a war zone inside in the bank. Eventually fought my way down to the vault (the robbers had Thompsons, M1s, and Shotguns) in order to get them all.

I also read that some of the voice acting (including Phelps) has been done by cast members from the Madmen series.

19. daveh84

daveh84 What's a Dremel?

Very impressed with this so far, I believe I'm on the last 'Traffic' case with the actress and young girl in the car. I also like breaking it up a little by taking the despatch calls, they vary and it's good to break away from the story a little. It seems a little too straightforward at the moment but the interrogations, crime scenes etc. are amazing.

20. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

I've been very impressed with this game, looks great on the PS3, at times I WTF'ed and thought i was looking at a real picture or video like climbing a ladder onto a roof with the blue sky just looks stunning.

I also seem to have trouble with some interviews, i have got all right in some, others half right and one i got all of them wrong, but I cannot work out how or why, so i guess it is realistic in that sense, so what if I banged the wrong bloke up! :p