1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Dirt 3 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 20 May 2011.

1. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

That's odd. I could have sworn it said "Purchase Now". I guess I must have missed the "Pre-"

2. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

$60??? ya no thank you... I will wait until it drops to the sub $40 dollar range before I even consider picking this up.

3. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Agreed, from the looks of it its nothing more than the previous Dirt Games with a expansion pack added, so it really shouldn't be a full price title.

4. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

Well, ok. Let the question stand til the PC version is reviewed.

5. mystvearn

mystvearn any-may

I have Dirt 2 which is 80% complete. Is this better than Dirt 2? I'm not buying anything anytime soon until I finish Dirt 2 and NFS S2U first.

6. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

@frojoe - disagree - there's plenty of sites on the web that go into multi-page reviews. Bit-Tech's reviews arent as to the point as they are in CPC (or the old CPC website for that matter) but they're still much better in length. All that matters is how it compares to the previous game and whether it's worth buying.

On that point, I've yet to see a physical PC DVD release for Dirt 3 in the UK - Amazon UK have some DVD copies from 3rd parties but all seem to have imported them from Europe. As it took 4 nights to download Tron: Evolution, it's quicker to order online and wait for the postman - anyone know if we'll get an official UK PC DVD release?

Last edited: 21 May 2011
  7. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Nope digital distribution only I'm afraid. I have no idea what made them decide that was a good idea.

thewelshbrummie likes this.
  8. Ciber

Ciber Minimodder

The DRM in steam that stops you buying and selling it second hand?

9. mystvearn

mystvearn any-may

Wait one year, then get it at <£5. Bought my Dirt 2 OEM for £3

10. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

Hmmm... Was just reading up on the lack of a retail DVD for this game and think it's absolutely disgraceful that it's not available as the price for download is highway robbery. €30-€40 for new pc games on the compared to €50-€60 on the net. I know that this is an ongoing discussion point but there should be a 20% reduction in a games review score for value if distributors try to force sales through a chosen medium. This is worse than drm as far as I'm concerned as it's monopolising the market. I call BS on Codies reason which was that retailers don't want to give them shelf space.

Sigh... Off to learn german so I can own a physical copy of the game that isn't price fixed...

11. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

But why only in the UK? If they wanted to prevent second hand sales entirely they would have done it worldwide, surely?

12. Ciber

Ciber Minimodder

Maybe it's an experiment. They did this with F1 2010 as well. Maybe they liked the results from F1 2010?

13. VaLkyR-Assassin

VaLkyR-Assassin Minimodder

Making it download only on PC means no sale from me. I'm not wasting possibly a quarter of my months bandwidth on just one game, neither do I want to mess about downloading it over a number of days.

14. Sagman76

Sagman76 What's a Dremel?

I believe it's down to good timing to buy digital downloads and pre order seems to be the best option. Dirt 3 was on offer 2-3 weeks back on d2d for £26.95 there was a code on the site for 20 odd % off pre orders plus you can get 8% quidco. I paid approx £18 I'm not bragging but you shouldn't be paying £30-£40 for it anyhow. I just keep my eye on Hotukdeals and usually a pre order deal pops up on most games. One thing that is annoying is g25 steering wheels on eBay have shot up I'm sure with the imminent release.

15. fozmcfc

fozmcfc What you looking at ?

I just wrote my thoughts on the forum about the PC version, before I read the review.

Whilst I hate to see Dirt 3 get only 75, that is all it deserved, yes it's pretty much a variation of Dirt 2 which was an excellent game, but with only a few tweaks and worse presentation IMO, nothing groundbreaking and as with Test Drive Unlimited 2 I can't help feeling a little let down.

Got my retail DVD PC version from coolshop by the way, think it is a bad decision by Codemasters not to provide DVD copies to the UK and don't believe for one minute it wasn't their decision.

16. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Nice price on Steam 35,99€, with Dirt 2 as a bonus, giftable.

17. Rich_13

Rich_13 What's a Dremel?

Thats totally true, I dunno why but I have some unfounded sympathy for codemasters and try to always buy their games first hand and at decent prices... lol I don't get this for any other publisher... I used to for Edios as well...

Anyone playing it on PC with an xbox controller? I imagine being GFWL it plays almost exactly the same as the console version?

18. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Well, it should be AMD lovin' as the development partners were AMD! I played a demo at the gadget show live on the Sapphire Radeon stand and it played really well.

19. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

Thanks for this.

A sad state of affairs tbh. The same happened with the aforementioned Tron game, which I ended up downloading (at a painfully slow 90kbps average) and paying £30 for the privilage to buy a 6ish month old game that would have usually dropped in value if purchaseing a physical copy.

I've been a happy PC gamer for nearly 20 years - having 300+ CD/DVDs game discs, digital distribution won't ultimately replace my collection. The dropping of physical distribution is simply disgraceful, especially when it's discrimination purely on being in the UK.

Message to Codemasters - don't expect me to but online at a fixed price. I like to shop around, in part as physical copies are usually cheaper too. I won't be buying an xbox or PS3 anytime soon & unless a physical release is available I will simply vote with my wallet/credit card.

I've got plenty of 10+ year old games that play perfectly well on Win7 with or without patches, and some even older than that via DosBox. It saddens me that systems like Steam and GFWL are destroying the 2nd hand market PC game market & that playing games 20+ years down the line will be all but impossible if either system was to go offline without patches.

Sad times indeed to be a PC gamer.

20. fozmcfc

fozmcfc What you looking at ?

thewelshbrummie.

You can buy a retail DVD version via Coolshop. I did and got mine yesterday, 4 days before the digital release and it was cheaper too. Basically they have EU versions, but everything is the same as buying a UK version of the game.

Tags: Add Tags