1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant What is it with car insurance and being so high!?

Discussion in 'General' started by mars-bar-man, 19 May 2011.

1. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I got my first premium down by having a few years no claims on a motorbike (under 125cc) that only cost 200 to insure at the time. Direct line took those 3 years NCB resulting in a premium of under 400 coupled with me being over 21 helped

2. Bhuvsta

Bhuvsta Minimodder

I am also thinking the same thing. 25yo, 3 years NC, Civic Type R - £400. I assume like everyone else it will double next renewal time. Like everyone else when I first started out it was bum rape.

3. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

pmsl ..at Bhuvsta .. class comment toward the end.

Just shop around you will get a better quote don't just rely on comparison web sites

4. bestseany

bestseany What's a Dremel?

Postcode makes a massive difference http://www.motorcarinsuranceuk.co.uk/post-code-ratings.php

I put my missus on my policy as a named driver, which knocks a bit off the price.

I'm 27 with full no claims and no convictions, and my 2004 2.0 petrol Avensis is £350 to insure fully comp.

The insurance companies are blaming the current injury claims culture and credit hire through claims management companies for the increases.

5. murraynt

murraynt Modder

I had to sell my Mark 2 golf 1.6 because i couldn't get insured on it, now i see it going trough town and it makes me cry a little inside :waah:

I was getting quotes for 5000 euro when the car was worth a 5th of it. In face the wheels were probaly worth more than the car its self :hehe:

Time to buy another now me thinks since i'm 18

6. WR1989UK

WR1989UK What's a Dremel?

7. Wozzname

Wozzname Some random guy

Elephant and Admiral are worth checking out I've found when it comes to insurance - I've got a 2004 Toyota Celica 1.8VVT-i "Red" insured for £1100 and I'm 20... for another week and a bit.

I'd got my licence when 18, but didn't get a car (or even drive around) until September/October last year. That was a really nasty Vectra estate, which I rid myself of for the Celica in February.

8. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

My 03 1.6 focus is £2200~ a year, no NCB, only had my license since.. Err. September last year, and that's with the additional option for "Driving for work", too. I'm 23, nearly 24.

It's a "new driver" tax, because we're in a higher risk bracket compared to someone who's actually had road experience outside of an instructors car.

Basically, lack of experience (Regardless of gender) + young age = Risky insurance proposition. We get stiffed because the minority ruin the roads for the majority ;)

9. Threefiguremini

Threefiguremini What's a Dremel?

Yeah I stuck my mum on as a named driver which slashed the price I had to pay.

10. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Didn't you get the memo? Insurance companies are all robbing *******s :p

My dad's pickup truck ['04 plate Nissan Navarra] cost him just shy of £800 to insure [it's just gone up by about £100]

If i were to be put on as a named driver [assuming i passed my test tomorrow because i currently can't drive] it would nearly triple [£2200 i think was the quote]

11. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I'm not the named driver on my insurance (which is actually the case since I'm not the main driver) and my insurance is £1500 p.a which is pretty good.

12. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

I'm sorry, but I'm sure when young male drivers stop having so many accidents the insurance companies won't have to charge such high premiums.

You like to drive fast right? Think you're a good driver? Believe you're a better driver than many others on the road? You're not alone

Some tips:

http://www.theaa.com/insurance/young-drivers-car-insurance.html

Some facts:

Road safety is increasing for older drivers, it's doing the opposite for younger drivers.
    Young men are more likely to be involved in accidents than young women.

So Young + Male is the big driving factor.

13. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

lol dont be daft.

the reason premiums have gone up 40% in just the last year has nothing to do with young drivers its accident claims.

not saying young drivers are safe but generally at least ion the last 10-15 years ive noticed premiums have always been high for young male drivers.

its the no win no fee claims that have ramped up insurance premiums for everyone but young drivers have had the worst end of it because they are the one most likely to crash into someone.

this is then followed by oooo my back hurts you hit me (at 5mph) i need to go to hospital and have to take a month off work. "thanks suckers that was an easy £3000 i made"

last 2 crashes ive had both have claimed whiplash and injury !!! even after not wanting to go through insurance company initially.

1st one was a woman which stop abrutly at a roundabout and my old car with none ABS in the heavy rain skidded in to the back of her. 10mph crash only scratched her bumper mine needed a new bumper and bonnet. She agreed for us to pay for the repair then several days later changed her mind and we got a letter from a solicitor claiming injury. her story changed saying she was fully stopped and with handbrake on !!!!

luckily it was dismissed but it was a blantent lie.

2nd one which was recently (xmas) i accidentally "bumped" a van at 2-3 mph at a roundabout which was my faulty as i set off a little quicker than he did. Everything was fine no damage to his van at all. only the number plate had crack on mine. he said he was fine we exchanged details just in case. Next phone call i get is that ive damaged his door it wont open. hmmm bit odd i thought but i guess i could have bent a hinge maybe. offered to pay for repairs then was told "its not really about the damage" my back hurts !!!!!!!. Next thing i know letter trough the door claiming he went to hospital needs physiotherapy and has damaged his back, neck and shoulders.

Ive spoken to solicitors and my insurance is most likely going to pay out even if its such a blatant fraudulent claim because there is no evidence.

hang on a minute because theres no evidence i get shafted !!!!! The only piece of info they have is him saying his back hurts and a doctor says could have been a result of a accident !!! (he attended the doctor 3 months after the crash)

sorry for the rant but thats why premiums are so high because in general people will try to screw you with these no win no fee claims regardless of whether they are actually hurt or not.

14. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

LOL. I love the way you contradict yourself. Yes, young male drivers have it worse as they are more likely to crash the car!

That's my point exactly!

P.S. You call me daft and yet you talk about your:

Sounds like you could be one of those statistics pushing up the premiums for everyone else. Your fault or not, you've still had the same type of accident twice. Where you've approached a roundabout too fast and not been able to stop.

Sorry dude, but people do play silly buggers on roundabouts and stop suddenly, start to pull out then bottle it or simply just act like complete tits. If you drive into the back of someone, it's technically your fault, pure and simple.

And young male drivers make more of these "mistakes" then other groups.

Last edited: 24 May 2011
  15. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Your both right. Young male drivers have more crashes and pay high premiums. Adam is also correct that everyone else is paying higher premiums because of insurance pay outs.

My premiums also went up because of the ridiculous use of statistics by the insurance companies. A village close to the one I live in has been labelled the 'car crime capital of the UK' by Admiral based on the amount of thefts compared to the amount of cars it insures. I've lived in the area for over thirty years and have never heard of anyone having their car stolen.

16. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

im not contradicting myself

yes i agree that young male drivers are a higher risk and so pay higher premium but that doesnt explain why premiums have risen dramatically over the last couple of years. It isnt because young drivers have suddenly had 1000% more accidents over the last couple of years its because any any crash now involves a no win no fee injury claim involving 1000's of pounds of compensation

When i passed my driving test at 19 it was £1000 to insurance on my 1.4L honda civic now that figure would be closer to £3000 but young male accidents haven't risen dramatically to justify that price increase.

That is my point your blaming ONLY young male drivers for high premiums when this is not the case.

ive only cashed twice in 8 years of driving 1 when i first past and the other at christmas nice 7 year gap so id hardly say im daft. They were only minor and 1 was because i was inexperienced and the 2nd was because i just had a small lapse of concentration resulting in a 2-3mph BUMP.

id hardly say im pushing up premiums for others now am i.

i have not had the same accident twice 1 was because i was unable to stop in time but i was not tailgating. The other was from a standing still at the roundabout itself.

I know they were my fault i did not say otherwise but the people fraudulently claimed injury which is my whole point of why premiums are so ridiculous now

17. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

No, I don't think I'm Lewis ****ing Hamilton, no I don't want to tear through a street at 50mph/ What I do want to do is be able to actually go food shopping without having to lug back a few days worth or food in bags because it's a 20min walk. I want to be able to go home visit parents, gf etc, and not be forced to rely on the crap train network.

18. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Actually I don't think our insurance has actually increased, not that I've noticed anyway. Other insurers were wanting about twice what we got offered for renewal though.

The big saving is that it's in my GF's name and I'm the named driver, otherwise it would cost a pretty penny.

19. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

It has increased, massively in fact. Skoda Fabia 1.4, would have cost me £1200 TPFT, after having just passed my test. Now, 6 months on, it's £2500. Why? Probably because of the No win no fee BS.

20. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Just checked, ours went up a tenner. It is only a Polo mind but just a tenner nonetheless.