1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Ficky Pucker, 23 Feb 2011.

1. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

I've had that bug too, leaving a dungeon and still seeing only that interior's map when I pressed 'M'.

I find the rotation of the minimap confusing especially since there's no indication of which direction is north. Am I alone on this one?

2. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

Yeah, oops! That is indeed what I meant.

Yeah, hell I'm even considering buying it again for my Steam account and simply letting someone else take over my GoG account with this attached. I'm just that impressed with how they handled all this and how fun the game actually is I kinda wanna donate to a worthy cause for PC gaming like this.

My only real beef with it is that at the very start, you have a kinda 'level' select in the form of a dialog tree. I didn't know this, so selected the 'dragon' option at the bottom, taking me right into the part where the Dragon is trying to cook ya and you have a pretty hard first battle within seconds of starting.

This would have been fine if I had played them in order no doubt, but it caught me out at first and it was not until after I'd cleared the prologue that I came to see I pretty much played it in the wrong order. Dunno why they did that really, they would have been far better off making everyone start in the tent with Triss and easing them into the game.

So yeah, if you're reading this and have yet to buy or try the game, for the love of god during the very first dialog tree options, select them top to bottom and you'll have a much better time ;)

3. TheLegendJoe

TheLegendJoe Syntax error

The Metro Review only gave it 6/10, saying it was badly voiced over, the animations are awful and that it has a bizarre difficulty curve... I completely disagree (apart from the latter, but that makes it more challenging anyway, easy is patronizingly easy, normal is more like hard), the voice acting is brilliant! The environments you walk around feel almsot real! Who the hell reviewed this!? Not a gamer :S

4. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

the metro is a free newspaper, of course they're going to know sweet FA about gaming.

5. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Probably the same guy that gave CODBLOPS 10 out of 10? xD

TSB

6. knarF

knarF Noob

It's hard to tell which reviews to trust these days. On one hand the bigger sites tend to just want to please people giving inevitably big games high scores regardless and people like Jim Sterling on Destrustoid just seems to bash games for the hell of it sometimes.

I tend to ignore scores and just read the descriptions to make up my own mind if it's my type of game.

The Witcher 2 certainly does sound like my type of game, just need a computer to play it on.

7. glan

glan What's a Dremel?

I downloaded this last night. Only played the Prologue so far, but I am enjoying it alot. Plus i think it is a visual feast.

8. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

Voices are indeed superb. No doubt about it. But from time to time you stumble upon a discrepancy. A paragraph that a character is supposed to deliver continuously, is recorded in two sessions, making the second part sound very different in intonation and volume from the first part. This is unacceptable for lines of dialogue so short (less than a hundred words), especially since it's not some insignificant chatter you overhear, but the conversations with the main NPCs like Tris or Dandelion. They should have just redone those. Plus, from time to time you get the feeling the actors were fed the lines probably in random order, as their participation in certain conversations is done in a very different tone and speed one line of dialogue from another. But still, these don't occur that often, and calling it a "badly voiced over (game)" is an injustice.

Anyway, what level would you say is required for the Letho encounter on normal difficulty? I'm level 11 and find it ridiculously challenging.

9. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Blame yourself on that one. That dialogue was you telling the story, why would you start with the dragon? :p

That's probably because you can skip each line separately in a dialogue. I guess it would have been better to record the lot in one part and then split it later, but meh, understandable. Though i didn't even really notice those little inconsistencies.

10. Toploaded

Don't blame myself at all, it was an odd design choice that I hope they learn from, does not take away from the fact it's an amazing game, but I can see it putting some off.

It was not very clear that there was any real importance of the order until afterwards, and there was no reason I should have been really. Was just silly for them to offer it, reading others who did the same as me on other messages boards, all were also unaware and wish they had just started in order too. Everyone's first impression of the game should be a naked Triss and slow build up to the first battle not getting killed time and time again by a Dragon whist still figuring out the basics :)

11. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

I just have no idea why someone would choose dragon right off the bat, unless they explicitly want to get to a dragon ASAP.

I guess CDPR had too much faith in the PC gaming master race :p

12. Toploaded

Well, it was a dialog option, and it's really not clear that it's a direct level order choice, I figured at most it would take me on a different game path, not mean you had to play through the events in the wrong order and therefore change the difficulty curve somewhat. Maybe it is common in RPG's and me being pretty new to the genre I guess it was not that obvious to me. What can I say, I saw 'Dragon' and thought 'oh cool!!' and didn't really think about it much beyond that :)

Faith in PC gaming master race aside, I'm just baffled as to why they would even give the option to do so, at least as one of the first things you do when you start playing the game. Anyway, I don't want this rather small issue I have take away from the fact the game is outstanding :)

13. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

I thought it was pretty neat, though if i had started with a dragon instead of a nekkid Triss i might not have appreciated the mechanic as much. Not really something i've seen in an RPG before, but then i don't play too many RPGs either. It's basically like any other dialogue tree, except they replaced Geralt's dialogue with gameplay.

I've posted a lot more gripes about the game, but none of those things detract from how outstanding it is either.

14. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

one thing I love about this game the more I play it, are the timers on the dialogue choices, it makes sense, and forces you to act quickly. So damned cool.

Also, I hate wraiths.

15. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

For the love of Bob, why!? What is it so cool about the fact that the most important decisions you have to take in the game are time-constrained? If anything, they should warn you that your choice will change the game story from that point on, not rush you and automatically take the first option for you after a few seconds. Ok, that's not going to happen, it's The Witcher, I get it.

Yeah, they hit unbelievably hard.
    Hint: set traps before triggering them.

16. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

By the time i notice the spinning hourglass at least half of the time is gone, then it startles me and by the time i regain my focus i have like half a second to make a choice.

PEBCAK though.

17. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Wraiths really aren't that bad, just keep dodging them so they don't get behind you or surround you. Simples.

18. b0ng0

b0ng0 Reddomitlum

Did they end up releasing patch 1.1 last night?

19. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Just completed my first play through, great game, although I felt it wasn't quiet as 'epic' as the first witcher, it is notably shorter.

This is the first ever game though where what you do makes a REAL difference, I mean you get a completely different ACT 2 depending on who's side you choose. Not like other games where the end credits or paths vary slighty. Very brave of them, as the majority of people will only play through once and will is out on abotu 20% of the content.

I'll start my second playthrough tomorrow, and it'll be the first game since deus ex that's earnt a second go!

20. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

wtf. the patch that has to be downloaded requires the whole build to be re-downloaded. :wallbash: