1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks difference - access point, repeater, extender, etc

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by trixla, 17 May 2011.

1. trixla

trixla What's a Dremel?

Hi,

Can someone explain to me what the difference is between the following please (all relating to wifi). Are there physical, range differences or are they all the same but different terminology?

an access point
    a repeater
    an extender
    a booster

Also, if getting a separate modem and router, what would this be called? bridging? access point?

Help appreciated :)

2. tehBoris

tehBoris What's a Dremel?

Access point provides a wireless point of access to a network.

Repeater and extender are the same. They extend the range of the network by repeating it.

I've personally not encountered these, but I see no reason that they could not be used other than there is a legal limit of 500mW transmission power, probably amplifies the transmitting signal. other wise it's another name for the previous two.

3. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

you will normally find that an access point, can be setup as a repeater, extender is also an name used for repeater, as is a booster

a modem and router are bridged when the external ip address is passed to the router ( most ethernet modems will by default setup a local ip address for the router)

4. trixla

trixla What's a Dremel?

thanks for clarifying. You guys have helped me google a bit bette and found the following:

disadvantages to a repeater/extender/booster: the connection is cut in half
    cons to access point - must be connected to the router hardwired, and be placed in the dead zone. So this could lead to long ethernet cable from router to access point.

some more questions:
    1) will having an access point cut the connection in half?
    2) can a router be used as an access point

Thanks

5. tehBoris

tehBoris What's a Dremel?

Which connection do you think it will half the available bandwidth of?

A consumer router is an access point, switch and NAT router. Turn off the bits that make it a NAT router... you are left with a switch and access point.

6. trixla

trixla What's a Dremel?

i meant the access point connection. Thanks for the replies guys....appreciated :)