1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Revisiting Morrowind

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 10 May 2011.

1. moshpit

moshpit What's a Dremel?

Morrowind was one of my all time favorites too. I also introduced my eldest daughter to RPG gaming through Morrowind, so it has some generational bridging for my family as well.

2. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

I've been following the Morrowblivion project on and off since its inception but never felt tempted to try it out until now as it seemed more like a tech-demo than anything playable, but apparently that has changed.
    http://morroblivion.com/
    It's still an early beta and with Skyrim on the way I worry for its completion, but I'm really impressed by the progress they've made since I last checked the site.

For those who aren't familiar with it, it's a project to port the entirety of Morrowind to Oblivion's engine.

They've released a new beta version which now supposedly contains all of the core game's quests in a working state.
    Seeing the Morrowind areas rendered in Oblivion's engine is something special.

Last edited: 12 May 2011
    Blademrk likes this.
  3. Jediron

Jediron What's a Dremel?

Best RPG to me is still "betrayel at Krondor", by now a true classic RPG. RPG at it's best, as you not only play with the main character, but also with some others. The story was based from a great book, and the game chopped up in chapters. With many ingedridients which made it so special, so good. For me anyway. The story was the heart and soul, it was played like you are experiencing the story from the book; but also with much freedom. Alliences, spying, betrayel etc.etc. it was all there. That's what made in unique.
    Morrowind have some of the above, aldo not as convincing as the Story of "betrayel at krondor". In Oblivion however, the story may be interressting; it does't come together when you play it; you never feel very "involved".
    The problem lies, i think, is side quest. The quests that actually doesn't matter. While it is fun to do some and while it does add something, it distracts from the main story. When you overdo the side quests and put hundreds of them into the game, with a much smaller "main quest" als red line; you soon end up with a game, of seperate quests and a small piece, not so enjoyable, not so interresting main story. My idea of
    the best RPG" is a RPG where you can achieve suc6 with different paths. Just like real life, there are more roads leading to rome. There are more ways to get there. So get rid of that linear style of the main story, and make different paths possible.

4. SazBard

SazBard 10 PRINT "C64 FTW"

Well that was a major Anti-climax... I grabbed my GOTY Edition Morrowind. Began installing, and two bars later "Cyclic Redundancy Check Error" :-(

Gonna try a different drive now, hopefully it works!

My best memory, was getting completely lost, and had some assassin in fancy black armour after me. He must have killed me endless times, I kept reloading and trying. I stuck with it and somehow managed to kill him though more through luck than judgement! I donned his black armour and was so proud. Everywhere I went and people I talked to always commented on my "Fancy Armour".

It is a great game, but I think a lot of "normal" gamers didn't get it. It was just too huge for them to comprehend.

EDIT: Just put a really old crap 4x CD-ROM drive in and it is installing like a good'un!

Last edited: 14 May 2011
  5. karx11erx

karx11erx What's a Dremel?

For me, Morrowind (Elder Scrolls) was a broken, half-finished game with awesome graphics and little more. The fights were a joke, and I accidentally managed to break the main quest when actually exploiting the game's openness. I deleted it from my hard disk in deep frustration after around 200h of game play with a level 67 rogue that could kill and survive everything, but get me nowhere anymore. One of the most-hated games of all the games I have played in my life, because it looked so promising and beautiful and was such a hell of bugs and flaws. As I am looking back right now, I have to correct myself: It was *the* most-hated game in my life.

6. TeenGeek

TeenGeek Worst touch typing ever.

One thing you can try is not installing it in the "program files" directory, as it likes to alter files in the program directory as it goes, and windows 7 and vista don't like that much.

The unofficial patch couldn't hurt either LINK[/QUOTE]

ok, thanks, this helps alot!

7. SazBard

SazBard 10 PRINT "C64 FTW"

So, have any of you been playing it again?

I followed the "Morrowind Expanded" guide and it has really increased my enjoyment. I think I've got further than I have ever done before and am beginning to understand how things work and where places are.

By accident I ended up at Ghostgate, its the first time I've seen it and wow, so eerie I had goosebumps over my entire body!

I have to say the Lore is so in-depth and it really does make a big difference to the immersion and game-play, its a big shame that no one makes an effort to include that sort of depth of story any more.

8. knownballer

knownballer What's a Dremel?

Ahh I remember the Morrowind.... I first bough this game for my xbox and became entranced in a wonderful world in a way I never was before and probably never will. My friends and I would share stories about our experiences in the game. The Morrowind was able to create a place where you exploring wasn't just possible, but encouraged and rewarded, and to me created encompassed the sandbox genre better than even grand theft auto. Hundreds of hours of play without even touching the main quest. To me this game was a shining example of what video games are really about.

Oblivion wasnt necessarily better or worse than Morrowind, but a very different game. Morrowind's sandbox play was also its biggest weakness as there was no focus, and it was easy to get lost in all the stuff to do. Smaller, more focused world, more streamlined gameplay to attract casual players, a better focus on the main quest. I still enjoyed it, but my heart still keeps coming back to Morrowind...

After my xbox copy broke I was disheartened for quite some time (I think I put in like 200 hours at that point.) and it took a while to come back. Eventually I picked up the goty addition and was treated to the construction set. It's been a staple of my install software for every computer I've built. Thank you Bethesda

Tags: Add Tags