1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Lian Li shows radical new case design

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 1 Jun 2011.

1. dragonthc

dragonthc What's a Dremel?

My v1200 is the same, the heatpipes are struggling while inverted. I've always wished the case weren't inverted.

2. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

My board and graphics card really liked the V1000 when i had it. Everything was much cooler than it is now (aka heat rises thingy).

And what is the point of having the back of the board on the front ? There is none, really. They just have to come up with some crazy stuff when they seen the Silverstone rotated layout with the back of the board at top :).

3. Xir

Xir Modder

Well, rotating 90° does allow the hot air to rise easier as your cards aren't in the way anymore.

4. Webby63

Webby63 What's a Dremel?

Probably the coolest and worst idea I have ever seen in a computer case... I might just get one :D

5. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Of course, but Lian Li can't just copy that. That wouldn't be innovating :D.

(yes, i'm a bit sarcastic).

6. balatro2005

balatro2005 Minimodder

Like the way the hard drives are mounted. Could be a replacment for my current case.

7. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Lol how awesome to see a past idea I implemented in a case now, I mounted hdd's like this on side panels about 4 years ago when I didn't used to share my modding antics :D so hell yeah it's cool to see this being done by Lian-Li, it's absolutely true about it saving space, that's why I did it, was at a time when I was trying water cooling out for the first time & had to do some major modding to make room for it all even though I did remove the water cooling & never returned to it as I didn't like the constant thought of water flowing around my pc lol this is good weird tech news to me :D:thumb:.

8. bobwya

bobwya Custom PC Migrant

I'm a die-hard Lian-Li fanboiii all the way - but this is just too far! They will probably bring it to market too (given their past record)... :)

9. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Gotta agree really though even though the idea of them doing something now what I done 4 years ago in an infinitely more ghetto look is a funny thing but really Lian-Li have the resources to make it work excellent I think if they use sata backplanes effectively with some nifty wire work to keep it all tidy, those pictures must be in prototype stage I'd expect, really is like a blast from the past :D, was feeling kinda down & this article really cheered me up :clap:.

10. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

Nooooo!!!! That harddrive design is almost EXACTLY what I was planning for a mod I'm still designing! Daaamnnnn yyouuuu Liii Liiiii!!!!

11. BitHeroes

BitHeroes What's a Dremel?

Say goodbye to case windows I guess?

12. wonderer

wonderer What's a Dremel?

Every case that comes in to test in PC Advisor labs is checked how the hdd-s are placed in gages and then there is lot of talk about how mounting disks sideways blocks the cooling of disks and how mounting them other way would give much better cooling and more points in test.
    Now those disks will be mounted against side panel, so about what cooling we talking here?
    Not impressed at all.

13. TAG

TAG What's a Dremel?

We're talking case cooling, with the drives not impeding airflow whatsoever.
    Hard drive cooling is overrated.

14. kzinti1

kzinti1 What's a Dremel?

These concepts are so incredibly stupid it's hard to figure out where to start.
    Exhaust the hot air into the room, where the majority of air conditioning is concentrated? You'll never get enough cool air fron the wall side of the case. The hot air, exhausting directly into your expensively air conditioned room will raise your A/C costs. I bet you'll really feel cool with all that hot air blowing out the front and rising up to the vicinity of your face.
    Block access to your internals with a "wall of hdd's?" That's really bright! Hinge the wall of hdd's? Where are you going to bunch up the extended sata and power cables? Right up against your cpu heatsink & fans? Create a snakes pit of worthless insulation? Fried cpu's on toasted mobo's anyone?
    Make the cases smaller? That's exactly what LianLi is after. Cheapen their costs to manufacture that will never, ever be passed on to you.
    Smaller cases tend to be extremely hard to cool. I have just switched over to all full tower cases because of this, plus the much easier access to the internals. I've also switched over to watercooling. Absolutely impossible with these completely retarded concepts.
    LianLi, you're engineering staff really needs to quit guzzling those gallons of sake' they appear to be consuming all day long at an ever increasing rate. Your "concepts" have been going straight down the crapper ever since you were bitten by the spider that made you hallucinate the most stupid, ugliest case(?) I have ever seen. Your spider m-atx platform. Do yourselves a favor and sell out to Chenbro before you lose ALL of your money and pride.

15. TAG

TAG What's a Dremel?

This doesn't make any sense. Hot air rises whether it starts its journey under your desk or in front of the pc doesn't make any different to your AC system.
    The only difference would be if you were stupid enough to sit in front of the exhaust AND crank the AC up because you're feeling hot sitting in a hot spot.

16. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Oh my God... the cables!
    Particularly in the the 3rd picture of the P90 and the 2nd picture of the P100, they just look appalling with those cables all over the place.

Anyway, now I've moaned about the cables... the actual layout of the case just doesn't look right with me. It's slightly interesting, but many of us like to add a window to our cases and having a wall of HDDs showing through is really going to kill off that idea. :\

Could you imagine doing a water-cooled setup just to cover it all up with that wall?
    I'd guess by the grommeted holes that they intended to support water-cooling, so I would have thought that they would automatically assumed that people would like to see their intricate loop routing.

I'd agree with others that putting the drives behind the MB tray would be a better idea, although that could gimp cable management somewhat (unless perhaps they extend the back back panel out a little further to accommodate the space required for drives and cables).

Lian Li have done one of my pet hates in these cases as well... top-mounted PSUs.
    I don't mind them at the top if the case has some unique exterior design that makes good use of it, but for something in a very plain box style case I just can't seem to force myself to like the power supply at the top of the case.

I really hope these cases get some serious alteration before getting sent to retailers.
    They just don't look well thought out from those images.

17. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

It's actually an excellent idea if implemented well as I'm sure if they go forward with this they will, instead of warm hdd's allowing warmer than ambient air pass over to the system parts like most cases, the hdd's & system parts will all catch enough ambient air all the while compacting the size of case, honestly people who can't see that & talk about engineering around pc design are quite closed minded, I highly doubt they are thinking water cooling for a smaller case also, they already have a massive range for that.

Next to the expansion slots on most cases is a lot of unused space when a big fan is expanding the width, they could make those internal panels so they simply unscrew & swing out to allow access to the system, it will require some form of anti vibration & custom sata backplanes with cables routed through the internal panel with flex so it can function correct, I have faith they can crack doing this right & look forward to seeing it happen, I think it would be quite awesome, a good compact air cooled full atx case, if I hadn't come so far with modding I'd be very interested in buying 1.

I know what they need to do to make it work excellent & without hassle & they are not far off the mark with what I see, I done a very ghetto version of this either 4 or 5 years ago when I started modding for performance, then the x2000 case came along with the 3 seperated sections which with the price of I think £300+ convinced me to try making my own like that :hehe:.

Anyway I'm glad to see an old idea I tried finally come to a quality case manufactuer, I know it could work especially with Lian-Li's build quality.

Many think Lian-Li cases are overated, I see them as nice simple very well made cases & perfect for modding with the plain but nice looks they usually come with, not much fun in modding a case that is full of manufactuer mods of what they think we want.

But yeah a normal window mod wouldn't be so good on this but a top front 1 could & so could the hdd panel, a good enough or brave modder could manage a cool mod on something like this :D if they implement custom sata backplanes & the right wire work, I think it's essential else I doubt people will like it much.

I'm sure they could put them behind the mobo tray but it wouldn't be optimal & the case would need to be wider.

18. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

I could care less about making the cases smaller but I like the idea of being able to fit more HDDs. Over the years as I have been going for larger and larger RAID arrays on my main system space for more drives is always needed.

19. TAG

TAG What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

Learn it

20. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Maybe he means he already cares so little he doesn't care to care less :p

Anyway, the PC in the middle of my living room is like the 100 - flipped it around because the case doesn't have front panel connectors. I'll have finished the new scratch build before I get around to moving the power switch to a pci cover on the back. So lean over the table to hit the button and away we go. Not that easy to get to the ODD, but it doesn't matter - it's rare when I need the ODD on that one at all. It's got two installed, but only one hooked up - I couldn't find the blanking plate for that bay, so I just shoved an extra drive into the bay.

Like everyone else, I thought not a bad idea on the 90 when I thought the HDDs were behind the mobo. Since they're not...in the words of Dib, 'This is stupid. This is stupid stupid'. Even in that case, though, I'd be concerned about heat.

I like the look of LL cases, but they're a little rich for my blood. Nice to see the designers coming up with unusual ideas, but maybe they shouldn't make them all public.

Tags: Add Tags