1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TVs 28"+ monitor/tv recommendations

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GeorgeStorm, 1 Jun 2011.

1. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Hey,
    As above, am looking to upgrade from my current 24" monitor to something bigger :)
    Wondering what people's suggestions are?
    Looked at the hannspree 27.5 16:10 monitor, the hannspree 32" fullHD TV, and the 2nd hand 30" DELL 2560x1600 available on the forums.
    I've been using my AOC 416V for maybe 2 years now, and it's been more than fine, only reason I'm even considering getting rid of it is since I watch all of my films/TV/any media on my computer, a larger screen would be awesome.

So, any recommendations?

docodine likes this.
  2. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I had a Hanns-G 28" and it's a good monitor, but definitely in the budget sector compared to other big screens. Just make sure you get it new so you get a warranty with it should anything go wrong. The quality of the actual display is very good, even though TN panels of that size can be a pest given the limited viewing angles.

The Dell 30" is not only a size upgrade but a considerable resolution upgrade too, and it will likely have a higher quality panel (IPS or PVA) given the target market of these kinds of displays. If you want to spoil yourself I'd say go with the Dell. :)

3. GeorgeStorm

I don't mind being in the budget sector, it's where my last 2 screens were, and I have been more than happy with them.
    The DELL is really pushing my budget, and it is 2nd hand, so I dunno.
    And I'm not trying to spoil myself really, the purchase is self sufficient, I'm only using money I can get from selling bits and pieces, (some gpus and my current monitor in this case)

4. BitHeroes

BitHeroes What's a Dremel?

I've used HannsG monitors for the past few years, and my current 25" 1080p monitor is amazing for the price, £108 with 2 HDMI ports.

5. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

If you're going to go for a monitor that big then you really want it to have a resolution higher than 1920x1200 TBH. The Dell would certainly be a good choice but it's not ideal for gaming and would ideally need to be calibrated.

What about the Hazro HZ27WC? It's not quite as big as you wanted, but it has a higher resolution IPS panel and comes pre-calibrated so should look great out of the box.

6. GeorgeStorm

£380 for a 27"? And from overclockers?
    Not in my budget I'm afraid.
    I'll redefine the question.
    What should I go for in the 2-300 range, out of 28" monitors, or 32" tvs.

7. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I use a 32" Sony LCD TV as my monitor and it's honestly better than I expected. 1920x1080 res.

Connected via HDMI from my laptop, it's an easy step up from the 22" Acer LCD that I was using before. Low pixel density doesn't matter if you're gaming, and the size is great for movies and such. Color accuracy is probably not as good as a regular PC monitor, but none of my work relies on that. Might matter for you.

It took a few days to get used to everything being so huge, that's the only downside I can think of.

I have the TV set at the back end of my desk (fairly deep), brightness is fairly low, and I use this nifty piece of software: http://stereopsis.com/flux/

This setup is really easy on my eyes, and nice if I just want the screen playing some video while I do other things on my desk.

Speakers on TVs are generally better than speakers on monitors, for general PC use they're just fine. Not what I'd use for gaming or music, but I've got headphones for that...

Hope I helped!

8. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

WTF? LOL

Why would you want your screen to be a different colour at night? Correct is correct, which is why people who are doing anything colour critical calibrate their screens. That's gotta be the most stupid piece of software ever.

To the original poster. Go for the 2560x1600 option and get the used Dell. Using a screen of this size at 1920x1080 is mental. Even if you have a deep desk you will see the pixels and everything will look massive! Plus, TVs are just not as good as a decent monitor. They're made with brightness and contrast being the important factor, where on a computer screen, sharpness and detail and colour accuracy are the prime factors.

There's a reason a 30" monitor costs 5 times as much as a similar sized TV.

It was also mentioned that low pixel density doesn't matter when gaming. Who made up that rule? I game at 2560x1600 and I'm sorry, there's no going back once you've experienced that.

If ALL you want to do is watch DVDs, then fine, get a HD TV, but if it's being used as a computer monitor, even for gaming, then get the used Dell 30".... although when running at native res you may need a beefy GPU to game on it.

9. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

The software is for reducing eyestrain, try it when your eyes are tired.

Let's agree to disagree here. Your rig is worth around ten times mine, we have different priorities!

I enjoy my setup, it's clearly not for you, but GeorgeStorm might like it. :thumb:

10. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Hmm, just assumed it was since the asking price of the 30" Dell was £100 more than that. And unfortunately OcUK are the only retailer of that particular screen in the UK, but I know what you mean. Still, you won't get a better 27"+ monitor for the price...

If you're using it as a monitor, get a monitor. If you want a TV, get a TV. It sounds facile but it really is that simple - trust me, I've tried using a TV as a computer monitor before and it just doesn't work unless you only ever sit 6ft+ away from the screen.

11. GeorgeStorm

Mmm, well my budget has lowered since the purchase has to be self sufficient, and ofcourse, the only way I can afford to get a new monitor is by selling stuff, in this case gpus. So i probably wont' have a powerful enough card to run 2560x1200 anyways. Sold my 580 a while back, trying o sell my 480, will probably be left with a 4870X2 as my most powerful card, with no intentions of upgrading it anytime soon.
    Either way it looks like it was a pointless question, since no one has actually answered, does that mean there are no decent screens in either of the ranges I specified? Or merely that you all think I'm an idiot for wanting one?

smc8788, so looks like I'll be getting the 27.5 hanns g monitor then.

And docodine, any pics of your setup?
    Thanks

12. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Nah, I just though your budget was a bit higher so you could get something a little better, but in that price range the 28" Hanns-G should be fine. There's been a fair few people on here who have had it and been more than happy with it.

13. GeorgeStorm

Yeah fair enough, I didn't really explain myself, especially as the budget decreased from my original plan. A nice thought is that if I can sell an extra card, might be able to keep my current 24" aswell, could be fun :D

14. Pookeyhead

Just turn your brightness down. There's no need to change the colour. Daylight is the most relaxing colour for the eye, as the warmer you go, the less colour sensitive the eyes are, hence they have to work harder for the same amount of illumination. Warming the screen will actually cause more eye strain. Fact.

A neutral colour balance with the brightness turned down will be less fatiguing.

If you want to disagree with facts, sure :)

15. GeorgeStorm

Pookeyhead, just leave it.
    So at the moment it's looking like I should get the hannspree 28", no recommendations of 32" TVs, what one do you have docodine?

16. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

i've got a jvc 32" i use for the display on my media pc. its plenty fine, even for reading text. i do need to sit a little farther away than i would with my 23" monitor on my gaming pc. by a little farther i mean sitting 3 feet instead of 2 feet away. the larger pixels make reading small text more difficult otherwise. but its not terrible. we're talking 1080 over hdmi, not like back in the day trying to use a crt tv over s-video at 480.
    if your primary objective is media and gaming i would suggest going the tv route. you'll be able to get a bigger screen for your money. 1080 still looks as good on a 32" as it does on a 24" if you don't have your nose against it.

17. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Nobody made up any rules about low pixel density, even though you seem to be - it's entirely subjective. You find low pixel density harsh, others may not; it really depends on your experience with various screens, personal preference, and (to an extent) desired use. I used my 40" Bravia for a whole week two or so years ago and I didn't once think "gosh, these pixels are big," and this was for everything - browsing, games, MS office... you name it. And it was amazing.

You also mention that colour and sharpness are better on monitors, which is too much of a generalisation to be valid: our aging Bravia will blow any current TN monitor out of the water in every way. I'm not saying that all LCDTVs have as good a panel as a top-of-the-range Sony, but at the end of the day there's so much more to it than just "TVs and monitors" (eg panel type, year of manufacture, backlight technology etc.) and it's ultimately subjective anyways.

Even with my two NEC monitors I still like to put FSX on the Bravia for an immersive feel...granted, the TV is no longer streets ahead of my desktop displays now that I have IPS, but it still stands its ground. And what you say about 2560x1600 is, again, your opinion; that resolution is too high for most people's needs (imho). I'd love 2560x1600 but I don't need it (nor can I afford it lol).

Out of curiosity did you get your Eizo for work? That's quite a monitor... I went with NEC based on their reputation. :)

Watch videos of it first (my one was HG281D) and you will get an idea of the limited viewing angle. Example: when I was sitting square-on to my screen with a plain background, there was a definite gradient from the top to the bottom of the monitor. This annoys a lot of people, but it's the compromise when you don't get an IPS panel.

Last edited: 3 Jun 2011
  18. Pookeyhead

Well.. you're comparing one of the best LCD TVs with a poor monitor, so that's a bit different. The OP mentioned choosing between a TV and a Dell 30" (although I think he's changed his mind since). That would have been a different thing entirely.

Most don't NEED it, no. Most people who have a high end GPU don't need it :) You don't need SSDs either, but they're nice.

My advice in here was based solely upon the OP saying it was a choice between a 32" TV or a used Dell 30" panel. Come on... that's a no brainer for ANYONE.. surely? "Hmmm... 2560x1600.. IPS.. loads of inputs... Nah.. I'll get the cheap ass 1920x1080 TV instead."

Which would you do? :)

Yeah. I may well have bought it anyway even if it wasn't, but it's easier to justify the price when it's something that earns you money.

19. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Granted, a 30" IPS will always better two budget TN or [cheapass] PVA displays - the superior quality is a no-brainer, but budget requires consideration :)

Without financial constraints, I'd imagine most of us would follow Al Gore's lead and use three Apple Cinema 30" displays for web browsing LOL

[​IMG]

20. GeorgeStorm

I've stated several times that my budget has changed, therefore the DELL is out of the question.
    And if I'm honest, even if I still had the budget, I wouldn't want to pay double for a 2nd hand monitor, rather get two screens, or get one and put the remaining money towards something else.
    LennyRhys i'll try to find some videos of it.