1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling HD 4870 cooler

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by malikdrako, 2 Jun 2011.

1. malikdrako

malikdrako Minimodder

Lately, the fan on my 4870 has been spinning up more often (more demanding games?) and its starting to get a bit annoying. What aftermarket coolers for it are good, without costing too much? (US prices please) its this model if it makes any difference
    Or would it be worth it to sell this card and buy a faster/quieter one? How much can I expect to get for it? Screen resolution is 1920x1080, I can run most modern games at mid-high to high settings

2. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Have you blown out all the dust?

Aftermarket cooler: http://www.mwave.com/mwave/SKUSearch.asp?px=FO&scriteria=AA77254

Not absolutely sure if your card has the reference design, but if it does, the linked cooler is as good as it gets. Bit large though..

The 4870 1GB is still a pretty good card, if you're happy with it you can just get the cooler and wait for the next generation (or the one after that) of graphics cards to come out.

3. SouperAndy

SouperAndy To Bumble or not to Bumble?

Hi malikdrako,

I currently use two HD4870s (HTPC and wife's PC).

On both of these, I've installed aftermarket cooling from Thermalright. One has the HR03-GT and the other has the T-Rad (link) These are fairly old now, so check compatibility on the current models!!!

Never had an issue with either, but the recommendation is for separate VRM coolers (so gets expensive)...

Therefore, I second docodine as the Arctic Cooling has equivalent review scores / fans, etc.

Honestly, I wouldn't think the resale value would be very high TBH. Maybe US$50-75?!.

In an ideal world, I would recommend an upgrade... With your desktop system detailed in your specs and monitor resolution, a DX11 card (6950 or GTX560 Ti) would suit?

Thanks,

SouperAndy :worried:

4. balatro2005

balatro2005 Minimodder

As docodine said check for dust build up. I have two toxic models which had similar cooling before going to water and when one of those got blocked with dust it started to rev up. Was much better after I took it apart and sucked all the dust out of the fins.

5. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

Yeah 4870's still have alot of pep left, as you say they run most games at 1080 and I still use two of them... Unfortunately you can't expect to sell them for much so an upgrade would be mostly out of your pocket. Best bet is to give them a good dusting, and if you still want aftermarket I recommend the Accelero Turbo as well.

6. malikdrako

malikdrako Minimodder

I havent had a chance to clean out the dust in a while, but the fan does still get loud when its clean
    I may just get the Accelero Turbo, it looks like this person has the same card and it works fine (with a bit of cutting for the VRM heatsinks) I may even overclock it a bit