1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming A New Golden Age of Gaming

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 1 Jun 2011.

1. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

nice freelancer pic at the end =]

2. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

‘It brings out the hidden gamer in everybody. That’s the magic that iOS has brought to an entirely new gaming market.’ I got that far puked then gave up.........

3. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

A bunch of sh;tty I Phone games is not a golden age of gaming.

4. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

I'm doing my best ;)

(oh and the Samsung Omnia 7 is great)

5. countstex

countstex What's a Dremel?

I've probably played more games on my Android devices in the 18 months or so I've owned one than I ever did on a dedicated handheld console, even if I add it the time from back when I had an Atari Lynx (old I am!). The convenience of being able to play on a device which you are going to always have on you anyway is without question.
    For those saying games on phones will always be casual you are missing the direction things are going. Sure any game you play on the device directly needs simple controls and stop/start game play. But the latest devices already have HDMI 1080p output options, as the insides become more advanced they will quickly become capable of running full console level gaming when you are at home via this and a bluetooth controller of some kind. The mobile phone has become the true meaning of Personal Computing. Whether that's for serious use, idle internet stuff, casual gaming or 'hardcore' gaming these devices will soon be delivering on all fronts.

(Phew, managed to make a whole response whilst staying objective and without slagging off Apple! Achievement Unlocked!)

6. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

uhm, I still think mobile gaming = nintendo .. if i wanted to play games that's what i'd buy.. I don't buy a phone for it's game capabilities.

7. malcolm

malcolm What's a Dremel?

Mobile gaming only appeals to children. It's not a golden age, it's a dumbing down, not good for gaming at all.

8. knownballer

knownballer What's a Dremel?

I'll say that this is a golden age in the sense that yes it has opened up the genre to many more people, but also because it has allowed so many more developers to make and distribute their games. This whole market place concept, and remember Msoft did it first with their xbox live (funny how they couldn't extent the idea to other platforms), has made the entry point so much lower.
    But their is something that scares me. Right now we see a lot of innovation because of the sheer number of ideas thrown at these platforms, but I wonder if as the power increases there will be a push to go the "graphics route" instead of focusing on gameplay.

9. hirezo

hirezo Minimodder

problem with that is you end up with pockets full of gadgets. wouldn't you prefer one gizmo in your pocket that did it all?

10. knuck

knuck Hate your face

it may be intuitive but it also looks much slower. I think whoever invented the mouse and keyboard decades ago simply hit a homerun and came up with the best possible solution on their first try because all the alternatives we have been shown over the years have nothing on a good old mouse/keyboard combo

Tags: Add Tags