1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nintendo announces Project Cafe as Wii U

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 7 Jun 2011.

1. enciem

enciem Minimodder

Looks like a 'My First Tablet' device by Fisher Price

2. veato

veato I should be working

Erm.... what bit-tech? The controller IS NOT the console. There's a box under the TV too with an optical drive and HD output, etc.

Still, I don't fancy holding that thing for extended gaming sessions.

3. Artanix

Artanix Minimodder

Don't really like it myself, but fair do's to nintendo. No point trying to compete with juggernaughts like Sony and Microsoft, just keep their own little part of the market. I found it amusing that most say the wii failed, when pretty much everybody I know has a PS3 OR Xbox, and a wii.

4. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/07/the-wiiu-controller-revealed/

i dont like this at all, if im going to use a controller, i want one that fit in my hand comfortably not sit on my lap like a book with a screen, besides with all this 'tech' (read xbox killed us with kinect so this is all we could come up with) surely there will be a fairly big price? and i cant really see it improving over current consoles by much BUT that is just my opinion, others out there will like and thats fair enough but at the end of the day i have my pc and xbox, wife and kids use the xbox for kinect (apart from my son who thinks blowing things up in any fps is cool.....he's only 4) and we have a ds lite and a psp so were covered on all angles and i know quite a few people who have at least 1 console and 1 portable copnsole in there house especially considering you can pick up an xbox and a psp or ds with games for around 100quid these days.

5. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

we had an xbox and a wii as-well.....the xbox is still there 5 years on and the wii....well that went when we bought kinect, we had for 2 years and used for about 3 months and most of that was the kids playing it, my wife saw this new wii and the first thing she said was 'what the hell is that thing? i think ill stick to kinect thanks we aint getting that chris' how many more families will say that if they already have a wii or ps move or kinect?

6. bothaus

bothaus What's a Dremel?

Oh God. Change is bad, always. I'm with a lot of people here. Nintendo offers something different. I'm a PC gamer so Xbox and PS3 are not on my radar. Too anemic in regards to graphics and power. They hold back the entire industry. Upgrade your components already so I can have better ports!

7. StoneyMahoney

StoneyMahoney What's a Dremel?

Ok, so the screen on the controller can also be the game screen, that's kinda cool, stops the kids monopolizing the TV. Hope they streamline it a bit before they release it, like they did with the Wiimote. I think it's success will depend on how expensive that controller is. Gyros are cheap, touch screens aren't. I still maintain the extra screen is a good idea, let's just see how well it's executed in the final product.

8. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

5 minutes with that and id expect massive cramping and sore arms. fail nintendo.

How about slimming it down a bit, like an xbox/PS controller but with the screen out the top?

9. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

This seems like familiar territory, news of Nintendo's revolutionary new console is met with ridicule and bemusement...

So I guess it is destined to become a world wide best seller, no?

10. Stelph

Stelph Minimodder

11. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

This article has been updated
    This article has been updated to reflect the fact that the Wii U controller has a base unit with which it communicates to the TV. Apologies that this wasn't clear before. I used the line 'The controller is the console' merely as a shorthand impression of the Wii U device, since it is both where the game is played and displayed. This mistake has now been corrected.

12. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I think the controller needs to go back to the drawing board. It looks to wide to be comfortable and would you trust a 6 year old with something this expensive. Heck with my record for smashing stuff up in frustration I wouldn't even trust myself to have one and i'm 26.

13. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

How are you supposed to play tennis with that thing? It'd be like Wimbledon with dinner plates!

14. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

To @SMIFFYDUDE and @Bauul
    You give them/use the Wiimote controller... simple.

I think the size is perfect... look at your position of your hands on your keyboard when you play a game.. it's WAAYYY over the size of the controller.

Nintendo invests a lot on controllers design to be comfortable... like Sony PS3 first design, and end up with the PS2 controller because it was too costly to get it right.

While Nintendo has no problem with that.. and they did that with the Wii more from the 2006 E3 and the final product (longer, wider view camera on the remote, and other improvements)

15. dactone

dactone dact-one

i can not wait to play final fantasy on that thing :)

16. DBA

DBA I do my modding with a spoon

WTF people?!! How can anyone not think this is the best news in console gaming since ever!?!

It's a new console which can play HD games, nah! It can play HD nintendo games. It doesn't focus on motion control and it can be played, while you watch TV! This new console most certainly get me back into console gaming..
    Also I can't see why people complain about the controller being fragile and too big, it's not a much more different than your iPad or whatever gadget you have..

17. Nanu

Nanu What's a Dremel?

Um... I hope you're right but i don't see how. When i play on a pc my hands are flat, which is natural and comfortable, but it's not holding a controller is it?

To hold a controller comfortably the lower palm supports need to be further apart than the buttons, that way your wrists are in line with your arms and not twisted into a wierd angle... which I think is the first thing people were see when they look at this... ouch.

probably why the basic shape of the playstation controller has stayed so long...

18. Nanu

Nanu What's a Dremel?

virtual boy anyone???? am i the only one thinking that?

19. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

Lol at the negative posts. This is nintendo people... Regardless if it has longevity or not one things for certain, it'll work and well. Kids can game when the tv is in use, probably do a hell of a lot more as well, then jump back on the tv when it's not in use. Wireless integration made simple!

20. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Tags: Add Tags