1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Minimal Frame - Updated 14th July

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Herculess, 9 Jun 2011.

1. Herculess

Herculess What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

Hi all

After several days of designing my new pc case, i would like to present you some photos from Sketchup. I would like a case which would be impressive by its size, with edges and simple minimal design. The lighting of the case will be the most important part of the construction, as the lighting effects will reveal the additional dimension and complete the minimal frame. The above idea and build i was planning to publish it in Coolermaster's competition but due to lack of time i couldn't finish it on time.

Materials:
    Mostly i will use "warm" materials such as wood (for the frame), plexi glass or mat glass and aluminum for the details.

System:
    As I don't have any sponsor, the system will be my one year old desktop computer with the following parts: :)
    MoBo: Gigabyte GA-770TA -ud3
    CPU: Athlon II X4 2,9GHz
    RAM: 2x2 GB Kingston and Corsair
    GPU: Sapphire Radeon 4850 1GB
    HD: WD Black - 750 GB

Cost:
    With concept work of pc case, i will try to give an opportunity for those modders who are not able/or want to spend a lot of money but want to have a handmade creation, learning how to choose low cost materials and build it with less than 100 Euros. :D

Photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 14 Jul 2011
  2. BLUEHORSESTUDIOS

BLUEHORSESTUDIOS I haven't lost a finger yet!

Very cool, I really like the window design your planning. I'll be watching.. Mod on dude

3. Shael

Shael What's a Dremel?

I too love the widow design and the clean lines of the design cant wait to see more

4. Gtek

Gtek Doesn't raise the bar; he IS the bar.

Simple but very nice design. I'm watching :D

5. Mystikal0412

Mystikal0412 Safety First, Think Twice!

The window is definately original with the lines seperating the parts! KUTGW!

6. Herculess

Its time for the first update, as i had many photos from the workload from the previous weeks.
    Also i would like to thank you all for your support of my effort :clap:

Photos:

8mm thick wooden board were used to make the frame. Its lighter than the MDF and cheaper (just 6 euros for all these)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

0,75 mm thinck natural oak layer (plywood) were glued to the surface of each wood board by using glue for leather/plastic. The layer should be handled with care as its very easy to break! In the market can be found many plywood with different "shapes" even artificials.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The glue have to be spread all over the surface in both pieces and after 15-20 min will be dry enough, we keep them in contact will little force, and thats it! Be noticed not to leave the glued pieces in environment with a lot of humidity, because after some hours you will see the pieces curved and with creases ( i "lost" the 2 inside pieces and i had to make it again).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had to add one more wood piece to fill the gap between the fan and the up/down layer.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

36mm hight wood pieces have been glued (with glue for wood) around the inside box, to give the appropriate thickness (50mm) of the design. Inside the gap will be fitted all the cables.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Because of Merfy's law, nothing can be cut straight, i used wood based putty to fill the 1,5 mm mistake.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

See you soon mates with the next update of LEDs installation and PSU box !!!:cooldude:

Last edited: 11 Jun 2011
  7. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Good project name...

8. Herculess

Hello again!! Afrer a month of constructing i am really to reveal the second Update of the project :clap: . I had some difficulties during the construction, cause I have to take care a lot of things, like cables, fans, screws and more, as i have to enclose all these inside the 2 chipboard wood without forget anything. After the 2 pieces come in place, I will not have any access. Anyway lets see what have been done until now!

Photos:

On the top of the Frame 24 white and blue LEDs installed, after i drilled the chipboard wood. Between the 8mm diameter holes and the 5 mm LEDs, I had placed aluminum tube so the face would give neat result.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After some hours of soldering, the LED grid was completed :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next step was to construct the box where the PSU will be mounted. I started with some pieces of clipboard wood connected with screws and wood glue. After this the box covered with the same natural oak layer (plywood) and in the bottom of the box i left a big hole for the fan of the PSU.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The same procedure had been followed to install the LEDs (6 pieces) under the PSU box.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To keep stable the PSU inside the box, i designed a backplate on aluminum piece and cut it to shape. I didnt polish it yet as I am thinking to cover it also with plywood.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The result after the PSU box been in place!
    [​IMG]

I have done more work on the project but i have to organize the photos and make the project log, so be patient! See you in 1-2 days!

9. Fuganater

Fuganater What's a Dremel?

Very cool design!

10. ColdzeroTeam

ColdzeroTeam What's a Dremel?

very nice work :)

11. Paintstar

Paintstar What's a Dremel?

Nice start my friend, looking forward to see this finished :)

Ela Greek patenta !

12. Herculess

Thanks a lot guys! Be prepared for tomorrows update!

Xaxa, dont you have the copyright for the name, right? :D

13. Herculess

Thanks my friend! I am also looking forward to finish it, but i need a CNC now and i dont have access to my university laboratory yet :worried: , that's delaying the process

14. Herculess

Time for the 3rd small Update!
    During this update you 're going to see the completed top of the construction, plus the 24pin extension cable sleeved with metallic mesh (cable sleeving).

Photos:

I wanted a mesh for the 140mm fan on the top of the frame, so i thought it would be good idea to make one with alloy withe (dimensions 2mm X 15mm). So i cut some pieces and I started to make the connections with an electric saw.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As i wasnt satisfied with the result, actually i had to use milling machine for this work, i decided to make a new one with balsa wood.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The fan were mounted and connected with the extension cables.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The metallic mesh to cover the cables extracted from RF cable! ;)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The result is pretty good, isnt it?
    [​IMG]

See you soon with the next update! Thanks for watching :clap:

15. Stem83

Stem83 Addicted to modding.

love the work that goes into these wooden cases.