1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows Home Server 2011 Problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by TheStockBroker, 12 Jun 2011.

1. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

"Goddamnit!"

This was my exclamation, when having installed WHS 2011 yesterday; it didn't appear to do what I wanted it to straight out of the box*. Now, having already googled my arse off, it seems this version of Windows is so obscure there is next to no information available about it - even its wiki page is back from before it was released. Knowing there is a hack/mod/app/regedit for everything; I come to you my fellow forumites with my latest problem!

So! I am running stock 64bit WHS 2011.

What I would like to be able to do is:

1. Access the server in the same way you are able to access and assume full control of the other windows clients on the network through WHS itself over the remote desktop type tool.

2. Do the above to both the server over the network without needing to go out over the internet and back through the online domain (so for example through the dashboard, as you are able to with the clients)

These seem like basic things for what is supposed to be a headless, simple to use and manage home server, and I'm sure they must be able to be enabled somehow! Reasons being there are certain tasks I'd like to farm out to the server, while I go out/sleep/am away and have my main rig shutdown - mainly simple downloads, but other minor things possibly too.

Any help appreciated.

TSB

*Please note I am still trialing the OS, and have not yet committed to buying it. As such I am open to trying alternatives if need be.

Last edited: 12 Jun 2011
  2. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

I'm not sure I'm understanding what your trying to do.

sounds like you want to Remote Desktop into client PC's and the server over the network?

3. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

That's one half of it yes.

The clients I can manage fine. The server however can only be accessed through the 'dashboard' and not controlled. Additionally, the option to enable remote assistance is greyed out/disabled on the server.

Will clarify the original post.

TSB

4. Edge102030

Edge102030 Son, i am disappoint.

Use teamviewer or tightvnc server on the server. You'll need an install of teamviewer or any vnc client on the other machines to access the server this way. I recommend vnc.

5. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Evening,

Well this was the obvious fall-back option for internal LAN use - But i just figured as it was the default and de-facto out from the server, it would be cleanest and simplest (or well, not) to use the same method inwards. I was also extremely surprised with the quality of the connection - there was no lag, or 'drawing' of onscreen items, as I've previously experienced with VNC over lan.

EDIT: Also, as my girlfriend will also be using the server - it would be much simpler to just have one application do everything.

The possible problem with that is, I've never used teamviewer (at all) or VNC over the internet - how good and secure is it?

Many thanks for all input so far.

TSB

Last edited: 12 Jun 2011
  6. Edge102030

Edge102030 Son, i am disappoint.

Well, if you are going the simplicity route then i would definitely recommend using teamviewer since it requires little configuration, is designed in a secure manner and the program can act both as server and client. I would say that you might have some speed issues but i've never had any trouble myself (and it is used for remote assistance in customer support situations, which must count for something right?).

7. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

This is the point at which I mention Linux, as it is the best for all server solutions. SSH access? Done. File server? Done. I don't know why people actually use Windows for servers - they don't have the same functionality or ease of use as a Linux box and cost infinity times as much. No, its more than that. More-than-infinity times as much.

8. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

have you tried remote desktoping into the ip address of the whs 2011, to get to the underlying winserver2008r2?

from there, you might be able to check the whs console properly and change settings

9. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Well Remote desktop is automaticly enabled in WHS2011 im pretty sure just as it was in 2003.

Just fire up RDC and type in the IP.

I never use the dashboard I always RDC in.

Beacuse there easyer to fix when it all goes wrong :)

You could try using logmein if you don't mind sharing your login detials with your girlfriend :)