1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Duke Nukem Forever Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 13 Jun 2011.

1. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

They've definitely set it up. If you watch the guy die just before you fight the leech Duke says "Well, I guess he won't be in the sequel"

2. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

It seems like the jokes about the length of its development were more fun than the actual game. I'll give it a miss at least until its on sale for under £5.

3. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

I haven't got there yet, maybe tonight :D I'm really enjoying it, I want to finish it, It took 14 years to be here and I want to honour it :D

I'm trully happy with it, I've played lots of games, but they all get dull real quick for me, the Duke scared me at first with the RC Car crap, but then it got good.

And I'm curious about the DLC in the main menu, in 14 years of development there has to be looots of scrap levels and stuff that they didn't include in the final game, I hope that Gearbox releases those levels.

Bottom line, I'm happy with the game

4. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

50%... Joe you're off my Christmas card list...

5. Zero_UK

Zero_UK What's a Dremel?

I really enjoyed it. Played through in one sit in and was happy with it: Immature over the top humor as I was expecting, and it delivered. Take it seriously and you won't enjoy it at all, take it as the character: Duke Nukem and you'll love it.

Toploaded likes this.
  6. wardogz

wardogz What's a Dremel?

Ive played all the way through this and....i really enjoyed it too, I seriously think this game has been given an unfair, lets jump on the wagon and agree with other reviewers 'bashing'. As for you a**holes that haven't even played the game, yet feel its your right to comment anyway, well, no wonder the country is in the state its in morons

7. _Metal_Guitar_

_Metal_Guitar_ What's a Dremel?

I was expecting the graphics to be a little better than they were, but the game itself...it's a blast from the past that I wasn't even around for and I quite like it. The gameplay is fast and hectic, and not COD fast and hectic, but really run and gun no taking cover really, just move quick and pull the trigger quicker, as it appears Duke should be.

Toploaded likes this.
  8. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

So many differing opinions - truly a marmite game then.

I fondly remember DN3D, so I'll probably give this a go. I don't mind reviewers tanking it either, the price will drop faster. ;)

9. Havalynii

Havalynii What's a Dremel?

I know this will possibly cause a firestorm, but can anyone tell me if the game has parental controls? I actually enjoyed Duke Nukem 64 back in the day for the fact that it was a cleaner version of the game. Thanks for letting me know!

10. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

Too high or too low?

11. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

As far as I saw, nop... It is as it is... Full Duke

12. bennyjh

bennyjh What's a Dremel?

Finally a review I agree with. Still don't understand how PC Gamer gave it 80%, ridiculous!

13. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

I'd give it 80%... It's just a matter of taste or something, i liked it, i didn't have high expectations on it, and for me it does what he's intended to do.

As I said... I'm happy with it, it could be alot better, but to me is as good as ever :)

14. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

I respectfully disagree with this entire review and it's points.

That is all.

15. the-beast

the-beast What's a Dremel?

They lost my sale when they made the game steam only (My connection is so slow it would take months to download (No exaggeration!)), so I'm kind of glad that I'm not missing anything now. Saved my £35 quid

16. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

*double post*

17. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I'm a couple of hours in, and so far rather enjoying it.

The game it reminds me of the most is actually Unreal 2 - a bit pants but still good enough to make you play through to the end, so 50% is spot on I think.

I actually say cudos to Gearbox for actually producing a game that (so far) is bug free, stable and is all in working order, given just how much crap they must have found themselves with when it was handed over to them.

The levels are smaller and more bland than they could have been, the crassness is overdone (there actually wasn't that much in the original DN3D. A few pixelated titties and some heavy breathing in the final credits sequence), the two weapon limit is ****ing annoying, but in all honesty the second by second gameplay is perfectly good enough to keep me playing.

Also, totally agree about the boss fights. Good old fashioned you vs. them, no gimics or set sequences (ignoring the buttom mashing finale), just a quick trigger finger and lots of running away. :)

18. AlienwareAndy

Mate if you left it to me I would give it 90%. And I'm no spring chicken either I've been playing games for thirty years. Some one mentioned Marmite? It's *just* that.

If you spend your days watching South Park and going into fits of laughter then it's all yours. It's childish, stupid and really silly, it's Duke.

I clearly remember the 90s. I clearly remember the original being compared to Doom. I clearly remember two clear cut sides, much in the "PS3 vs 360" argument. You either loved it and Duke or you thought it was absolute tosh. However, some 'liked it' because at the time the only equivalent was Doom.

You really must have been a die hard who has been holding a torch for a decade to like this.

19. AlienwareAndy

The PC version is almost flawless in the technical department although I've met about three scenes that were a bit juttery. I run a single GPU so it's definitely not SLI/Xfire micro stutter and a friend of mine had the same issue (both SOC GTX 470 users).

Actually the fact that people are claiming you can only carry two weapons are quite wrong. Is it only me that has noticed that yes, whilst you can only carry two guns (or things that resemble them) you can also carry a variety of explosives and holodukes?

As for the crass being over done? absolutely. However consider this. The original had a fair bit in so any one waiting for this was expecting more of it and well, here it is.

There really was no way to win with this game. It was always going to drive a huge divide. I guess it just depends what people expected from it but I would say that for some of us it's delivered what we wanted. I mean come on, how many people here wanted to see the full booblies in the original and not the stars over the nips? And it's not like people didn't know what to expect. I mean one of the trailers was about throwing turds.

A
    Yup they're absolute aces. Love the way they don't go down first time either. It's been a blast watching the younguns playing it and being ripped to bits and getting all annoyed :D

20. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

Probably more about, just getting a game out , after taking on this hot potato. A Gearbox follow up would probably be infinitely better.

Tags: Add Tags