1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Redownload iTunes Songs?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Treacles, 6 Jun 2011.

1. Treacles

Treacles Minimodder

Didnt know wether to put this under Windows or Apple -_-

Anyway, a family member has recently had their Laptop die on them, with only the harddrive been salvaged before throwing it away... Im going to get an external enclosure at a later date to move over all of his songs, but for now im gonna ask this, Will his iPhone still have the "Purchased" tab on so he can simply redownload all of his songs? This is of course after it has been "Synced" with a blank itunes in his account.

Sorry if that didnt make sense, and thanks for any help :)

2. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

its much more likely for itunes to just delete the contents of the ipod instead, leaving with nothing. i would recommend using one of the ipod backup utilities instead to copy the contents before attempting to sync, or even before itunes is installed for that matter.

3. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Err, Apple literally just announced their iCloud service today, which enables re-downloading of iTunes songs. Its not out yet though.

4. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

^ This.
    The Apps litterally had this function turned on today, though in beta it's live on all iOS 4.3 devices.
    Music re-downloads at this point in time, again still beta, are restricted to USA only.

iTunes will however, determine the device as being synced with a new computer if you simply plug it into a fresh installation, and as such request that all music is removed from the device before re-syncing. If you can I would copy/salvage the data from the drive before connecting to iTunes.
    You will want the entire iTunes folder to preserve the DB and installation ID's to prevent this from happening.
    There are also of course applications specifically for copying all the music/data from the iDevice, but the ones I tried weren't all that grand.

Other than that if you are not in the USA then you can wait until later in the year and will be able to perform re-downloads of all music free of charge.

Hope that helps.

5. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

Exactly, why I've left Apple a long time ago and now avoid them like the plague. You never know in which direction the data will go when you sync, but generally you get burnt.

So like lysol said, I as well *highly* recommend using a free app like SharePod (what I use with my iPod instead of iTunes) to backup the device before you sync because most iTunes will just wipe everything out like the facking dumbass it is.

6. jethro

jethro Modthusiast

I recently had a complete storage death (thanks movers) and lost all my itunes purchases.
    I emailed apple support about the issue, and through a few very polite email exchanges they enabled a download of all previous purchases.

I have been buying music and audio books through the service for ages and was sent an email containing my complete purchase history, along with a list of some content that is no longer offered by itunes and therefor unable to be re-downloaded.

After support enabling this re-download I opened itunes on a new windows install and hit check for purchases to see "Now downloading 1/12513". Their support really blew me away with setting that up.

This might be a route to try if you really have lost it all.

7. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Wow. I thought you could redownload the songs already like steam.

8. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

It's always been their policy that you should burn all purchase history to disc to safeguard it. And as mentioned already, the cloud service now fixes this.

9. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

Itunes is simple. you just have to remember that the content is licenced to an Itunes account. You authorise a machine with your account to play your content. You can authorise up to 5 machines. When you try to authorise your 6th it'll remove all authorisations and you start again. Itunes warns you of this and tells you how many authorisations you've used when you authorise a machine. You do not authorise an Ipod device. you can have your content on multiple Ipod devices sync'ed from your authorised machines. If you plug an Ipod device that's sync'ed with another machine not auhorised on your Itunes account Itunes will warn you that it will wipe this Ipod to sync with your content.

I thought they enabled re-download of purchased music through Itunes a while ago. I definatley remember looking through my puchase history and seeing the download button on all the entries. Itunes support are really good from my experience. I once had an album totally corrupted during download and 1 email to Itunes support sorted it out and I could download again. This was in the days before they enabled re-download.

10. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

^ I understand how it works, didn't ask for a lesson but thanks it might help others. I was exaggerating the fact that I personally HATED the syncing mechanic and DRM crap, and when you're dealing with multiple devices, accounts and machines in a household it gets beyond tiresome. None of that BS with droid and I'll never go back.

11. donok

donok Every Little Helps .....

thats rubbish. just authorise a pc by logging into your family members itunes account. then snyc there ipod/iphone/ipad then a button will appear on the settings page saying download x number of available downloads. they will download all your recently purchased music and previous. everything ever got from apple including apps for ipod touch/iphone/ipad.

however if you had a cd that you uploaded then you would have to put that cd back onto itunes and back onto the device.

I had a break in once where my computer was stolen and i had all my purchased itunes music. when i got my new iphone i rang them up and stated this. they said they would allow me to re-download my songs again and all i had to do was log in and click on the xx no. available downloads to get all my music collection back. BUT i would not be allowed to do this again so to make sure i backed up my data.

now i have a nas-drive that backups all data in my house including my itunes. it also allows my other devices access to my itunes media including my tv, my ipad, all pcs etc