1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News LulzSec takes aim at Brink and Bethesda

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 13 Jun 2011.

1. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

But they don't understand it anyway as proved by the recently passed DEA, so whoever is serving the best tea and scones will win regardless.

2. infered101

infered101 What's a Dremel?

I do agree with the fact that there are bigger threats out there but this isn't just "some folks mucking around." This is people that have the ability to screw people over. Yes they are targeting "soft" or small targets now, but what happens when they target your bank, or your insurance company, or the defense network for any country. Things like this are VERY VERY bad.

Im not disagreeing with what you say im just saying think a few more levels deep. Not what these people are doing but what they can do. That is what scares me. That is what makes me want them to be found now.

On the topic of this though. Im skeptical that these people are just getting info and then doing nothing with it. There has to be something in it for them. Not just the Lulz (stupid). What is this groups endgame. That is what truly engages me in this topic. Makes me curious. AHH 3rd coming of the antichrist..... ok i put that in there for a laugh to lighten the mood some...

3. specofdust

specofdust Banned

You think the actions of Lulzsec have anything to do with the impending restrictions on our internet freedom? Those guys are small fries. You want to know about restrictions on the internet, look at what the RIAA, MPAA, and associate organisations want the internet to be like.

Those are the fascist scum who seek to restrict our freedom in the name of maximising their own profits. Those are the people who are invited to conferences on the future of the internet. Not members of the electorate, not experts on the internet, not telecommunications company employees, not philosophers or experts on rights, but suits in the recording industry.

You want to know why the internet will be screwed up in the next couple of decades? It's not because a few guys are hacking whatever company leaves it's backdoor unlocked. It's because the media industry has failed completely to adjust to the 21st century realities, and know that their business model is leading every single media sector to destruction, and will continue to do so unless they can put regulation restricting the internet in place across the glove.

4. ffjason

ffjason What's a Dremel?

They are the first set of hacktivists to publically humilliate so many large companies. And good on them. Should make companies reconsider how secure their systems actually are.

Nothing bad has happened to the user's so I'd rather they break into the systems as warning to the company's before someone with malicious intent did the same thing.

5. Kojak

Kojak Who loves ya baby

Maybe I should be removed from society specofdust, and I'm the first to admit I blow off steam every now and then. But like I said I'm not giving my time to this anymore, I won't comment on it anymore than I have already, ...ay there's a knock at the door, it's the people in white jackets come to take me away. :)

6. ffjason

ffjason What's a Dremel?

Duplicate

7. Centy-face

Centy-face Caw?

I don't see why they are attacking Brink or Bethesda I mean what have they done to earn their wrath? If it was for a valid reason I support these activities to publicly humiliate large companies but if, indeed they are, just doing it for the 'lulz' then I see no point.

I don't agree they are terrorists. I think many of the American users here might want to buy a dictionary and a gram of common sense before coming up with these wild accusations. This isn't a cause I can support or rile against without more information. Anonymous is something else something with a purpose and I have yet to see them do something I have a major issue with. It's good in many ways to let these corporations know we do have the power to fight back against things they choose to do, I just want it to be a worthy cause.

8. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Think though, What people? They aren't after "you" per-say more the firm which poorly holds your data. "They" who ever they are can go after my bank all they like frankly, as spec says its not my problem just like its not my problem if some one robs the local RBS or even if some one knocks over the local Sony center.

What they can do is a slight worry but my comment is on these guys doing these hacks and reaction from some of the comments, some days the news comments sounds more like the daily mail... "Won't some one think of the children!!"

Maybe they're after "something" but I'd wager at the moment its just a laugh, why do people climb mountains or bungee jump? Personally I don't understand it but they still do.

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

if they want to hurt companies and help their "friends", they might want to address how exactly hacking a game is going to do that.

i don't like bethesda myself, they're a bunch of shitty programmers who only make games to make money. although i don't support the company or their horribly made games (with the exception of graphics), targeting an online game is not going to hurt the company very much - it is more likely to hurt the customers more than anything.

10. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

I 100% agree that these guys are getting annoying.

11. r8bwp

r8bwp What's a Dremel?

In the end more time will be spenty on security and this cost wil be passed down to the customer. I leave my front door open sometimes does this mean you should steal to prove how easy it is or does it say more about the person who does.

12. Material

Material Soco Amaretto Lime

News article updated to reflect the fact that Bethesda have released a statement confirming the hack.

13. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

Perhaps true enough, but the actions of dimwits like Lulzsec will be used as the thin end of the wedge for bringing in restrictive legislation like that. Things like true investigative journalism seeks to find out about sloppy things like insecure data storage, and then exposes the weakness to the world by reporting it to news sites. It certainly doesnt mean seeing the security hole, entering it to steal stuff or bring things down, and then posting 'laughs' about it - and this latest one where they 'threaten' Bethesda, or whoever - 'threats? Since when was this viewed as a wholesome way forward? Seems to me whomever these individuals are they believe that they are some untouchable and omnipresent internet deity. Very sad. I am very much against tight controls on the internet but I would certainly shop these morons if I knew who some of them were.

14. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

Specofdust - I mean this with the greatest of respect, but I doubt that very much. I have been a first hand victim of my bank account being stolen from by fraud and identity theft, and whilst yea, eventually the money is returned, it is a very distressing and difficult period of time before it is resolved. First of all, the banks require proof that it wasnt you that perpetrated the account withdrawals, and then they have to 'investigate' the matter, during which time you are very likely left with sod all money for at least several days. So I doubt very much that you would 'feel very little'. Sometimes the bank has done verything they can do to protect themselves. Are you saying that all burglars are justified because people didnt brick up their windows and steel enclose their doors everytime they go out?

15. enciem

enciem Minimodder

UPDATE: All brink account information has been taken, the 7 forum members/players have been contacted individually

16. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

To be honest I'm kind of pleased that it is comparatively harmless grounds like Lulzsec and Anonymous that are causing all this havoc. I mean sure what they are doing isn't exactly helpful, but at the same time simply telling these companies that they are not secure would not have provoked action from them. And suppose rather than a bunch of juvenile pranksters some people with a real agenda, intent on real damage, were to start employing these tactics?

I think if anybody is going to show internet security to be a farce, then I am glad it's a group that aren't looking to do too much damage to ordinary folks.

The real outrage ought to be directed at the companies that insist on creating accounts, on taking our names and addresses, on collecting personal data, and then not protecting that information. If they can't keep our information safe they should not be asking for it.

17. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Well, I believe you when you say that it sucks for you, but honestly I think you just either got unlucky or your bank sucks. One of my flatmates had her account emptied (twice) last year, probably due to either fraud or ID theft - both times she had the account fully returned to it's normal balance within a few hours of calling them.

I didn't say people who hack banks are justified, I said that banks without good protection are stupid. Just because it's wrong for some guy to shoot a lone wussy european teenager walking around somalia holding bundles of 500 Euro bills, doesn't mean that the teenager isn't an idiot for walking around in somalia holding 500 Euro bills. Capiche?

18. breakspirit

breakspirit What's a Dremel?

No you won't.

specofdust likes this.
  19. alf-

alf- Minimodder

have to love the mentality of the people who defend lulzsec, they're only doing it to highlight the security lackings of these companies.

i can just imagine using that defence in court "yes your honour i did break into a bank, release its private data, but don't worry i only did it because i wanted to sure how easy it is."

if all lulzsec did was hack into these various companies, then that wouldn't be so bad, but they don't they release user data, and because of that users suffer.

20. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

This attack is seemingly pointless, although with that said I still believe (perhaps naively) that this hacking will result in companies cowering in fear and actually securing their stuff. But what most likely will happen is what spec described, the regulation of the internet because of all the executives regulating it rather than changing.

What really bothers me though is the future of the internet, it seems pretty doomed as far as I can see. Then again so does the future of the gaming industry. Perhaps now is the time that everyone consumer or company alike re-evaluate what's really going on, the current model of the internet vs the media magnates simply isn't working, the dynamics have changed rapidly compared to twenty years ago, and sadly most aren't willing to change and those who are are suffering because the rest refuse to move.

Tags: Add Tags