1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows BF3 boycott due to preorder DLC in Full swing

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by AcidJiles, 13 Jun 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

I didn't specifically mean you being petty, i actually noted it might have seeemd a little insulting at the time but forgot to change it so i apologise. However of all the Exclusive DLCs that have been released (e.g. Dragon Age extra chars.) this is one of the least affecting ones - it's petty in comparison.

IMO i just view things in a more neutral light, but yes, i can seriously play online FPS's and not be pissed off about the fact that he's got an LMG that's exclusive to him, but similar to my LMG (if they announced it would be OMGWTF OP then sure, i'd be pissed, but at the moment it doesn't look like it'll make a difference).

As for being an EA Apologist, i assume that's a stab at me calling you petty. Apparently the definition for an apologist is to defend something controversial, of which i personally don't find this particular piece of DLC that controversial at all... the only difference now is that this is "your game" that "you want".

Like i said previously, people are inherently selfish and complain about something that doesn't benefit themselves. That's not meant to be an insult to anyone, it's simply my opinion, acting in one's best interests is innate.

However just because i can see your point of view with regards to the principle (and were it something serious, like i said, i'd agree), this particular instance just doesn't make me all that annoyed. Disagreeing with your boycott doesn't mean i don't agree with your stance, just that i feel that this particular instance/context makes the campaign seem rather... lame.

Anyhow, i wasn't deliberately trying to argue or provoke you or anything, just stating my opinion which happens to differ from yours.

2. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

tbh i see no issue with this. half the time preordering the game saves you a bit cash? Why would you not? if i want it ill buy it and if I can save money by getting it early then win win. Or is it just me...

3. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Thing is, unlike a lot of games you can pre-order (*cough* CoD *cough*) there's going to be a beta. I played the BC2 beta from (early access I think I had, or it might have been extended, I can't remember) start to finish, and apart from a few balancing issues and glitches it remained exactly the same as the final release.

When BC2 got fully released it needed little fiddling with as it had all been sorted out during the beta phase (as it should).

I probably will pre-order the full game once I've had a crack at the beta and like what I see but until then I'm keeping that money.

Also, this: http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/bat...k-and-back-to-karkand-questions-answered.aspx

4. tennisball

tennisball [Insert witty comment here]

5. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

The Maps (Karkand Pack) are there if you've pre-ordered, no matter where you do it from.

Also, i heard/thought that Karkand will actually be more similar to Bad Company 2: Vietnam, in that there will be new weapons and vehicles. Hence why they called it an "Expansion" and not "Map Pack"... also why it's a different team at DICE developing it.

6. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

So nice to see the dead horse of manufactured internet statistics being flogged again. I hear 87.1% of dead horses do not like being flogged, and that 45.9439439% of internet users do not like made up stats.

7. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

I heard it was 32.33% (repeating of course).

8. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

well i give apox 0.00001% of a **** about this, you will all get better ammo and weapons withing 3-4 hours of game play anyway... so who the **** cares

Last edited by a moderator: 14 Jun 2011
  9. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

Erm no you don't. Of the 4 items only one is unlockable the rest are exclusive to preorder. Look it up.

10. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

So in the past when the original information about the boycott was being floated including the screenshot that is always used several members of the boycott came forward with more screenshots and proof that only about 90 out of the boycott group bought the game. This was rougly a week or 2 after the game came out. The boycott group was 800+ members so this is just over 10% so infact not thrown around too much. I can't link to that old thread as it was couple of years ago but I know that the idea the boycott failed is a myth in terms of how many within the group bought the game at least as a preorder.

11. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Im going to pre-order this game and when it comes out im going to shoot the bad guys all day long.

12. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

DLC is part of all games these days, with the amount of DLC that DICE is planning for bf3 like 3 times that was in BC2.

Maps/guns its all content to extend a game's profits and sales. You will find what ever the weapon dlc it will be balanced against the core weapons in the game.

I do not really see the big argument against it- its more content that you will be able to purchase or will be given free- proably find alot of it will go for cheap as it usualy does a few months after release.

More life to a game- that you can choose to buy or not.

13. Kenny79

Kenny79 I own a Dremel!

****ing bell-end's!

14. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I may join in on a pre-order boycott. It's not exactly new for expansions to add content which has to be purchased, but when it's legitimately an expansion there's some room for compromise. Afterall, all of the weapons in a Battlefield game are supposed to be equal with each other overall but tailored to excel at different roles so having access to more items should, in theory, only give the advantage of having more choice. Ranks already give objective advantages, it's a slipperly slope. (such as 2142 sprint duration/recharge unlocks or BC2 perks like magnum ammo. 25% more damage than a rank 0 with no perks at all, quite a difference)

However, giving incentive to pre-order with game changing exclusives? That's money grabbing and hurts the sportsmanship in the game. It's already hard enough ensuring that all items, even unlocked ones, are balanced with the starting ones, this will only put on more and more pressure as everyone will be looking to see how the exclusive items provide an objective advantage. BF2 (and expansions) should also have already shown that map packs only serve to divide the player base. If there's one thing that should absolutely be available to all players regardless of game edition or rank it's maps.

3lusive likes this.
  15. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

ERM ...read what i said again..... i didn't say i would get the same ****, but get better stuff in a matter of a few hours of game play like every other game ever made in the history of ever

16. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Why is it cool these days to defend corporations who don't give a **** about you?
    Why is it cool to act as though buying the game and pissing on someone's attempts at getting a better deal for the consumer (for once) is worth ridicule?

Why should we feel okay about having to pay more for content that is trivially easy to produce yet has significant effects on the gameplay experience as part of a clearly very cynical marketing/promotion campaign?
    Why do we just accept DLC these days instead of giving the finger to publishers and telling them we're sick of being milked and price-gouged?

I'd love to know.

Sure, those who care about these things are in the minority, but I'd rather be a proud gamer than a person who plays games, as specofdust puts it; and standing up to this kind of ******** is the only way we will ever have a chance of living up to that pride and taking the games industry back for the gamers.
    Have a bloody spine and a voice for once, people; otherwise all of you die-hard Battlefield fanboys who so often proclaim your superiority to the CoD-children are no better than them. This is BF3's stimulus/resurgence pack and you know it, you just don't want to admit it because OMG BF3 IS AWESOME.

Last edited: 14 Jun 2011
  17. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Amen to that, too many people defend faceless corporations these days, like they are defending their sisters honour. :jawdrop:

18. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

19. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

+1

I wont be bothering with the preorder tbh. It'll come out when it comes out. Perhaps a demo EA, I like demos and am saddened that most studios do not release them anymore. Seems to be flock mentality (OMG ITS OUT SPEND MONEY NAO!!!!1111oneone) Cheeky cop-outs....

Anyhoo, I hope that advancing through the ranks dosnt take 3,000+ hours. Because even though I put in over 350 hrs into BF2, I never fully ranked up. It was a pitiful point system that was impossible to get through. And that being said I never even unlocked all of my weapons either. So if BF3 has the same BS as that, Im going to spew profanity at my screen and EA tech support.

20. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

The only thing I found really stupid in the BF2 medal system is the 400 hours required to go for the expert armour badge. I have played for nearly 1600 hours and still only have 160 hours in armour, really stupid seeing as the jet and heli only require 150 hours.

I have only 3 bagdes/medals left to get and I am rather embarassed as to the amount of time I have played this game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.