1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress EXO-S: TRANSPORT CASE DONE!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Mystikal0412, 31 May 2011.

1. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Great work, will be watching :thumb:

2. Mystikal0412

Mystikal0412 Safety First, Think Twice!

Okay guys,

After another night of modding we have accompished the following.
    Created the raisers for the motherboard, finished the topbar in which we also included a CCFL.

And starting experimenting with the lights. As seen below this is a first test, but just putting the lights below the PSU cover. We will get better 'shine-through' results when we fix the properly.

Furthermore we have an idea, but we are not quite sure if we need to do it. We are doubting to create also a shielded cover for the graphics card and create the same effect with the CCFL.

Below a picture of the first impression with the lightning. It is starting to become something, but we are not yet there...
    [​IMG]

3. Nanosec

Nanosec absit iniuria verbis

Voted and sub'd good luck in the MoTM contest

4. (RFFN)-SqUeD

(RFFN)-SqUeD I eat dremels for breakfast

We have alot of work to do,

The todo list:
    -Usb bracket placement
    -IO backplate frame
    -drilling holes in psu cover - rest/power button / cables
    -shielded cover for graphics card
    -placing rad.
    -topbar for light in the front of the case
    -and a bunch things i'm forgetting right now!

We will keep yall posted!

have a nice weekend and till next week!

5. (RFFN)-SqUeD

Thankz Nanosec, very appreciated! and we need every vote we can get ;) The mod madness has got me :lol:

6. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

Thats some impressive metalworking you got there! Wil it be an open-air case?

7. (RFFN)-SqUeD

Hee Alpaca, thankz ( the metalwork process takes alot of time, we're doing everything by hand)

Yes This will be an openair case, We got an 19inch (audioequip.) flightcase as u can see in our worklog, but this will only be used for transportation to LAN etc.

We will be making the same cover as for the psu for the grapichscard! hope that will turn out as we imaging it would be :worried:

hope to post some pics upcoming week!

8. Mystikal0412

Hereby another update from our 2nd sponsor. I had the opportunity to visit their factory in Roosendaal (near my home village).
    [​IMG]

Pure due to luck I came via a company relation in contact with NDF NDF Special Light Products in Roosendaal. The solely company of Europe which can create certain CCFL's. In the past they belong to Philips, but decided to start by them selves. For example they produce 90% of all backlight CCFL's in 'airtraffic controller-screens' worldwide.

They are going to help us out to create custom CCFL with a diameter of only 2.4mm. This will be ideal to get the perfect light out of our PSU shielded cover and still to be made graphics card shielded cover. Both will have the same look.

Below some details regarding this company and in specific the possibilities of their CCFL products! We thank them on our bare knees that they are going to support us! :clap::clap:!

Last edited: 12 Jun 2011
  9. Nanosec

Nanosec absit iniuria verbis

Wow, that is just awesome. You got a good thing here, custom size/shape lights on your custom rig, what could be better?

10. (RFFN)-SqUeD

I don't know how he did it, but its awesome because know we've got some ideas from an expert on that ground!!! hopefully it will work out really great (otherwise we could have sticked to the standard CCFL's) But he as we say in THE tulip country 'never look a given horse in the mouth':naughty:

To keep you = Our log readers, informed - 2morrow we will begin with the Graphics card shieldcover. hopefully we will finish wednesday so we can give u some Pics of that!

then we will have te fix the rad on top of the case and build another topbar for front lighting and perhapse we will make some sort of nametag in front of the case - just small but stylisch -
    we've got some ideas (only the requier an watercutter or something like that)!!

We will then only have to grind, grind, grind, grind grind........:nono: grind and grind again, so this baby can go to the powder coater!

And again thankz to all who are intrested in our build :)

11. Mystikal0412

And another long night of modding...

Today we 'finished' the back of the Exo-Skeleton. We created an IO-bracket and the bracket for the PCI-cards.

And we started on the design of the graphics card shielded cover.

Some welding on the IO-bracket. Made out of REAL IKEA cupboard steal! No, we are not going to announce our 3rd sponsor... ;).
    [​IMG]

A little bit out of focus.. I missed, sorry guys!
    [​IMG]

Positioning the graphics card. No this is not the actual graphics card and motherboard, but we use these to measure. It is an 8800GTX :cooldude:.
    [​IMG]

Starting to work on the PCI bracket.
    [​IMG]

Almost frying the motherboard! :rock:
    [​IMG]

Solding the m4 nut into the pci bracket, so we can fix the graphics card with the tumb screws.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was a bit to deep, so removed the top and soldered it with a new 'top-cap'
    [​IMG]

Some end results of today's work. Again took a lot of effort creating those brackets out of nothing.. But we are satisfied with the result.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Furthermore a first look on the possible grahics card cover. Still not 100% sure if it is the way to go, but we are going to create it anyway this Wednesday, to see how it looks.

[​IMG]

Tnx again for following us! We appreciate it!

12. Theoroshia

Theoroshia What's a Dremel?

Are you worried that the metal could accidentally hit the motherboard and cause a short?

13. BLUEHORSESTUDIOS

BLUEHORSESTUDIOS I haven't lost a finger yet!

I'm always envious of those you have metal craftsmanship like this.
    I love this build so far and will be following.

14. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

This thing is going to weigh a ton :eeek: But that some nice craftsmanship there and a nice design :thumb:

Oh, and greetings to Etten-Leur. My aunt and cousins used to live there some ten years ago ;)

15. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

It has just occurred to me that this wouldn't look out of place on a Stargate SG1 set, the build looks very Goa'uld :thumb:

Top metal working talent guys :dremel: :D

16. Shael

Shael What's a Dremel?

I agree with 23RO_UK on that :hehe:

I have to say when i 1st saw thi log i was like :eyebrow: but now i am :clap::jawdrop::rock:

Totally amazing welding skills on the construction of the case and i love the design of the case throughout cant wait to see more - subbed

17. Richardbmx

Richardbmx What's a Dremel?

at first I did not like. but now I see this working wonderfully. . . waiting to see the end. Greetings

18. xXSebaSXx

xXSebaSXx Minimodder

This thing keeps on getting better and better...

I do have one small question though.

What kind of spacing are you going to have between the back of the motherboard and the structure that supports it?

I ask because I see that one of the diagonal alu bars that makes up the support structure for the Mobo goes right over one of the holes for any cpu cooler you plan on using; and that may give you some clearance problems when installing a HSF or your waterblock.

This is the one I'm referring to:
    [​IMG]

19. Mystikal0412

Tnx for the comments and the heads up on the motherboard!

No, we use standard spacers, which have enough space to avoid this problem.

No, it is not. It is not heavier than any other case (well not really..). We get this question often, but it really is not so heavy!

Give us a name, give us a name!!! ;) Maybe it's my neighbour!

Tnx Shael and RichardsBMX, we hope we keep you interested through the end!

This will fit without a doubt. Spacing is high enough to fit the Corsair H50 watercooling unit.

20. (RFFN)-SqUeD

Well JRS the weird thing is that this thing doesn't weigh a ton. My coolermaster stacker (alu. case) weighs more than this Metal baby :D, I will bring my scales this week so we can give u an answer on about how heavy this case is....... I'm also corious :rolleyes:

We're glad we CAN intressed you now :thumb: Hopefully the end will be near soon. This is taking for ever, so it seems!!! :lol:

Thankz M8,

We are using standard Spacers so those are about 9mm. + the hole in the mobo isn't completly coverd just about half..... so this won't give any problems!!!!