1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Find IP of wireless bridge

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by I'm_Not_A_Monster, 14 Jun 2011.

1. I'm_Not_A_Monster

I'm_Not_A_Monster Hey, eat this...

i have a WRT54G router running DD-WRT set up as a wireless bridge on my desktop. it is paired with my main router which is also running DD-WRT. i'm trying to upgrade my security because i never got around to setting up WPA2, but i've run into a problem because i don't remember the IP address of the bridge. i could have sworn it was either 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.1.2 but those aren't working.

i've googled a bit looking for wisdom, and a couple different search results recommended angry IP scanner (which i subsequently installed) but i must be using it wrong because its not helping. traceroute starts at 192.168.1.1 (my gateway) which doesnt help me much either because what i'm looking for is on the other side of the gateway.

basically, how can i find the IP address of the wireless bridge directly connected to this computer i'm typing on?

2. tehBoris

tehBoris What's a Dremel?

If you aren't on the correct subnet you won't be able to reach 192.168.2.1

3. andrewbarke

andrewbarke What's a Dremel?

give Axence Net Tools a go,

Clicky

Has always worked for me, just enter your ip address in the scan network option and it will show all the devices within that range!

4. I'm_Not_A_Monster

i've scanned my whole network with angry IP scanner from 192.168.1.1-192.168.6.254 and only found three live hosts, the IP of my desktop (go figure the computer im using was on lol) my router, and for some reason my brothers ipod touch.

i decided i'm gonna quit trying to do things the "simple" way because its taking too long. if i just bit the bullet and set up my bridge from the ground up it would be working right now.

for future reference, if i set the bridge to 192.168.1.2 would i be able to access it normally?

5. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

This. If your subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 (which it normally is for 192.168.x.x based networks), you'll only be able to access 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254.
    Yes, although you'll need to set your DHCP server to start handing out addresses at 192.168.1.3 (I usually start at 192.168.1.10 to allow for things like printers and servers at the bottom of the subnet range).

6. I'm_Not_A_Monster

i like to start DHCP at 192.168.1.200 so i know just by looking at the IP if it's DHCP or static IP (if it's 192.168.1.2xx its DHCP, 1 for static)

7. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

if you have a linux rig you can use nmap.. should be able to get you the whole network layout.. angry ip scanner should also- I never use it though

here's a quick script I wrote when connected into a network to map it out with some basic information for the rigs connected to the gateway.. that should get you what your looking for- I never use angry ip scanner but it should be able to do about the same.. what are you seeing in the gui of angry? (why so angry lol)

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

gateway=$(route -n | grep -v Gateway | head -n 5 | tail -n -1 | awk -F " " '{print $2}' | cut -f -3 -d .)
    if [ "$gateway" != "IP" ]; then
    pool="$gateway.1-254"
    nmap -sC -p22,111,139 -T4 $pool
    fi

Last edited: 15 Jun 2011
  8. I'm_Not_A_Monster

that script says:
    Code:
    /home/ryan/Desktop/script.sh: line 3: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `)'
    /home/ryan/Desktop/script.sh: line 8: syntax error: unexpected end of file

9. thehippoz

sorry bout that.. fixed the cut.. typed that in by hand and always typo seems anymore :duh:

that should work

10. I'm_Not_A_Monster

DD-WRT's control panel started freezing at the apply.cgi page (page would time out on 192.168.1.1/apply.cgi) so changing a setting started getting difficult. i just decided to reflash the firmware for both routers with the most up to date builds.

then i read online that DD-WRT's control panel works best with IE. once i started using IE instead of Firefox everything worked the first try. way to make the power-user firmware only work with the noob browser

11. thehippoz

I use firefox for my ddwrt routers.. both windows and linux

maybe try chrome and see