1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Competition Win next-gen hardware with Asus and bit-tech

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 1 Jun 2011.

1. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Apparently there's this really amazing ship that travels between Britain and America. It's called the Titanic. Totally amazing luxury, and it gets you to the UK in just a week.

You'll be totally safe as well - they say it's unsinkable...

:p

PyrO_PrOfessOr likes this.
  2. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

I would get in touch with them and see if something can be arranged. It would be a great shame for you to miss out because of the circumstances of health, be that your own or your sons.

I'm not sure what but see if they would be open to a video call, it would give them more recognition for being accomodating to those with diabilities etc. Just a thought.

3. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I needed a laugh about this.

I've got the rep's e-mail to RSVP about this, I guess I'll drop them a line. While it would be nice if they did something for me, I really don't think it will happen.

4. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

I would go just to see london.. sorry to hear about your heart condition

if you sent your wife, she might get snatched up by one of those smooth talking brits :hehe:

5. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Tell them about the massive amounts of positive press they'll also receive from the bit-tech community (and therefore any other communities that people here also use)

6. KayinBlack

I just sent my RSVP back stating that I'm terminally ill and not able to attend. From here, I expect approximately zero response, but at least someone else can get their chance to go.

There's no sense in my being an ass about it. My health and my son's health is not their fault, nor really their concern.

7. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

You git, thats was first thought when I read the post....lol

8. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Auction it on here and give them profits to charity.

9. KayinBlack

Like I said, I've already let them know I'm unable to attend.

And before anyone asks, I didn't ask for the parts, as I'm sure they'll go to the person who gets my spot. I'd rather not rob them of a prize.

10. zoea

zoea What's a Dremel?

I won! Got my email at 4pm today from Megan Wiffen :) Can't wait to see the event and claim my prize :) Who reckons they will give out z68 mobos? :p

11. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

No offense intended, but I'm somewhat curious as to why you entered if you didn't have the means to attend.

12. KayinBlack

I could have gotten the money to go, I was informed by my doctors that I'm simply no longer allowed to fly. This is a recent development. Recent as in after I entered.

I don't have a job to inform, I could have simply up and done it. I had no other problems with going excepting the fact that I found out my aorta could explode if I fly. Unfortunately, that's kind of a setback.

13. knuck

knuck Hate your face

:hehe:

Sorry but that was said in such a nonchalant manner that it's just funny :hehe:

I hope they'll give you something. Anything

EDIT: I hope I'm not offending you or anything ! It's easy to interpret the wrong thing on the internet and maybe you weren't being funny at all

14. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Ouch, sorry to hear about your aorta. That does indeed suck for any number of reasons, let alone the competition.

Forgive me if I'm going too far, but I'm genuinely curious about how you guys are doing these days. I recall that just a couple weeks ago a number of Bit-tech members were donating money to your Pay-Pal account, and you were talking about selling off computer components to provide food for your son. I just thought it was odd that you were planning a trip to England two weeks later. Again, forgive me if I'm way off base here. I truly mean no offense.

Last edited: 15 Jun 2011
  15. ZodiacKiller

ZodiacKiller What's a Dremel?

Yay, just got my email too from Megan Wiffen :)

Says I am one of the 24 people, I thought it was 20?

WooHoo, hope it's good :) See the rest of you 23 guys there :clap:

16. KayinBlack

Well, here's how it all turned out.

The gifts from Bit-Tech were matched by The Best Case Scenario, as well as a person who wishes to remain anonymous who donated $500. This shored up our bills, and fixed the tires on the car.

I entered this contest more to tell ASUS what I thought than believing I could win. Considering I never win anything, I didn't think it too odd. I don't think I could ever SERIOUSLY consider going-I'd have to leave my son here, and I can't do that. I started this thread as LOL, not as a rant because I thought it was funny. Not that I was genuinely expecting to go. I already let them know I will not be able to attend and expressed that I hope they would pull another name so somebody can go in my place. I'm not gonna hold onto a spot I can't keep.

Money stays tight, but we took care of some really nasty bills due to the help of this and other forums. I'm sure you guys all saw the damage, we were very lucky in how we got out.

I simply found it incredibly ironic that I won, and there was no way I could go. I COULD have borrowed money from my rich uncle, but it would have been a poor idea from start to finish. I'm not going anywhere. Except back and forth to the hospital to see my son every day.

And no, I don't think you're too forward. I'd wonder too about something like this. I'm not offended in the least, I just don't think I presented my position too well. About the only thing I've been able to do out of all this was the donations were enough to keep my rig. It's still in pieces after the EK debacle, with no ETA as to finishing. I save a bit out of each check I get (emergency unemployment funds cheesecake) to put up towards finishing the machine, and a friend gave me a 2x120 he had lying around to replace the rad that was ruined by the flaking block. I have been hunting around here for fried nVidia cards, remember? I finally had to cannibalize Whaler's Heading for its video card. That puts me a bit closer, but I'm still not there yet.

So there you go, and I'll still answer any other questions you have.

17. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

Didn't get picked, ahh well i never win anything anyway. I thought my idea of Prime95 built into the mobo bios or a GPU GUI Bios for clockspeeds was a neat idea. I'd like to know what won :( really disappointed tbh, would have been an awesome way to celebrate the end of my A levels, besides the usual of course :( you never know I might be on the backup list :-/

Last edited: 15 Jun 2011
  18. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Wow, you offered quite an explanation, Kayin. Knowing the background, I'd like to apologize for my previous posts. I know that the second one was a bit forward, and I'm sorry if it struck an accusatory tone.

I'm sincerely glad that your family is slowly getting all the pieces back together. Given my current location along the Gulf Coast, I also know first hand how hard it can be for life to get back to some idea of normal after a natural disaster.

Again, sorry if I was out of line, and hopefully something good will come of the ASUS competition!

19. KayinBlack

I wasn't offended to begin with.

It simply finished the incomplete thoughts that I had kinda not explained well.

Like I said, I would wonder too.

I spent the afternoon with my son, listening to him talk to his favorite stuffed animal. It was all the contest prize I needed.

20. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I must have missed it but what happened to your son?

Tags: Add Tags