1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice New build not seeing F3/1TB drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by neil_b, 15 Jun 2011.

1. neil_b

neil_b Minimodder

Just finished building a new SB system, and it was all quite straight-forward until I added the 2nd drive, a Samsung F3/1TB drive - it's as if it's not connected at all; the system just doesn't see it. The spec is;

1 x Asus P8P67 Deluxe
    1 x 2600K
    1 x Corsair HX750W
    4 x 4GB corsair vengeance
    1 x MSI 570 GTX
    1 x Corsair H60
    1 x OCZ Vertex 3 (120GB)
    1 x LG Blu-Ray Opt
    W7/64 Ent N

Build came up first time without any real issues, loaded drivers etc and all good - this was all done with just the SSD plugged in.

1 day later I've just added the F3, and as I say, it's as if it's not connected - it's not showing up anywhere, isn't detected on booting, and isn't detected if I try to "add a device". The disk is working in as much as if I put my finger on it, I can feel that the platter's spinning - so it must be getting power at least.

Any suggestions why it's invisible or what I can do? I wasn't expecting to have this sort of problem after the initial build went so well...:waah:

2. snooky32

snooky32 What's a Dremel?

Do you have another system you can test the drive in?
    Have you looked in the efi to see if it is listed in there?
    Have you tried it in the sata 6gbps and 3gbps ports, also the marvell 6gbps ports?

3. neil_b

neil_b Minimodder

Ah, not quite the full picture. I've just looked at System Properties/Device Manager and the disk IS there, however it's NOT showing up in "Computer" (which does show both the SSD and Opt drives).

Under Control Panel/hardware & sound I've tried to "Add a device" but it searches and searches and doesn't find anything (maybe because it's already picked up in Device Manager?).

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious here, but not sure what....

HELP!

4. GeneGenie

GeneGenie What's a Dremel?

If you open up computer management and the go to disk management does it show up there? If it does you just need to format it before it shows up!

5. saspro

saspro IT monkey

If it's in device manager simply go to disk manager, right click on the unallocated space & create a partition. Give it a drive letter & watch it appear

6. chris182

chris182 What's a Dremel?

Gahh!! This was going to be the first time I was able to actually help out because I wasn't too slow. But alas, even with, what I thought was, reasonably fast typing and what not I still got ninjad!!

Too add to what's already been put in device manager it should just be a simple task of right clicking on the drive and selecting format and then giving it a drive letter if necessary.

7. neil_b

neil_b Minimodder

OK, when I open up the "Computer" icon in the start menu, it's NOT showing up - what is showing up is the SSD and the Opt Device. There is nothing for the F3.

If I click "Control Panel" in the start menu, then go to "Hardware & Sound" and then "Device Manager", then open "Disk Drives", the SSD and the F3 are shown.

If I right click on the F3, the choices I get are; "Update Driver Software", "Disable", "Unistall", Scan for Hardware Changes" and "Properties".

Clicking on "Properties" gives me a choice of "General", "Policies", "Volumes", "Driver" and "Details".
    General says "this device is working properly - Location 3", and Volumes says "Disk 0, Type unknown, Status is "Not initialised", Partition Style is "not applicable", Unallocated and Reserved space are both shown as O MB.

Nowhere can I find any option to format and/or allocate the drive a letter etc.

I cant see anything called "Disk Manager" or "Disk Management" that people are referring to above; can you tell me exactly where I can find that (is that it's correct name?)?

8. roosauce

roosauce Looking for xmas projects??

LOL - sure was a seriously fast flurry if replies on that one!

9. GeneGenie

If you're on windows 7, press start and search for computer management. Open that up and then on the left click disk management.

10. neil_b

neil_b Minimodder

Ah... OK..... found the right place to do this, under "Administration"! Doh.

Needless to say - took about 30 seconds to create a couple of partitions and off we go.

Live and learn. First time with W7...

11. GeneGenie

I had to go through the same thing on my recent build, not a fun moment when you realise one of your hard drives is missing!

12. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Windows has been doing the same thing for the last 10 years or so.

13. neil_b

neil_b Minimodder

My ignorance aside, thanks for the help guys...

Now all I've got to do is try and remove the bloat after the W7 and MSoffice installs (see other thread for that though!).

Thanks again.