1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Bit-tech League of Legends thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Djayness, 19 Jan 2011.

1. SNiiPE_DoGG

SNiiPE_DoGG Engineering The Extreme

hey guys, just checking into the thread, I'm lvl 11 atm with a bunch of champs (bought the starter kit at bestbuy the other day after playing for a few weeks on free chars)

IGN: ArvX, feel free to add me!

2. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Anyone wanna share insights on HOW to play AP Yi. I tried him out but I found early game I had trouble getting kills and ended up dieing a lot. What's the item order / runes to use?

3. Vajra

Vajra What's a Dremel?

Recently finding myself having lots of fun with Jarvan. The guy is a beast and I find people are not quite used to going up against him.

4. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

AP Yi is pretty much a... (trying to find the word here - Troll/Lolzy/Joke) build and i wouldn't class him as viable for the most part.

In general AP Yi revolves alot around Alpha Strike (with its 1:1 ratio) and Lich Bane for another upfront burst afterwards.

Obviously Lich Bane is a key item, so you'll probably start with Sheen and probably CDR boots. Then Rabadon's and subsequently finishing the Lich Bane + further AP items.

You can either use him as a burst assassin with lots of upfront damage, or you can have him in teamfights from the very start using Alpha Strike to layout some high AoE damage and rely on Meditate to keep you sustained (the AR/MR increase on it + the massive scaling from AP makes it incredibly tough). Or obviously a mix of both.

As for Runes, i assume standard Caster Runes would apply:

Reds - Magic Pen.
    Yellows - Mana Regen/Level
    Blues - CDR or AP/Level or Flat AP
    Quints - Magic Pen or Flat HP or Flat AP or AP/Level

He is quite a beast, i personally like to play him as Jungling Tank although his ganking ability as such is average.

I think the reason he's so strong is simply due to his versatility, he works great as a Full Tank, Tanky DPS as well as full DPS (although that's generally not as favoured).

5. SNiiPE_DoGG

SNiiPE_DoGG Engineering The Extreme

6. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

Don't.

AP Yi is only effective in games where you are going to win anyway. When your team is up against it, don't expect an AP Yi to come flying in and save the day, because simply he wont. You have a high damage 2 hit combo of alpha+lich bane, and that's it. You can then meditate to cancel out incoming damage and then repeat the process, but other than that it is a useless build. If there is a decent AD Yi against you, he will eat you alive.

Jimmix's Tank Yi build is pretty funny when you can pull it off, but at the end of the day Yi is most powerful getting a ton of ad, armor pen, lifesteal and attack speed.

7. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Anyone been watching Dreamhack?

I know aB and I have been following it quite a bit.

I don't normally follow Livestreams and only read about the metas but this has been amazing in terms of simply learning the game and watching the players.

Few things i picked up on:

a) I've constantly said that EU have been less capable in teamfights and i think it really showed here. Both Fnatic vs. CLG and EpiK.Gaming vs. aAa (or Gamed.DE) were prime examples, in both instances EU dominated the early game (i can't stress that enough) and then the US slowly held in there and lategame... bam. They consistently won the teamfights and made it so that EU lost most of the advantage that they'd been building up and ultimately won the first set of games.

b) With that said EU obviously prevailed and watching how, was very interesting. Now US obviously had the advantage in teamfights so EU had to sort that out. How? Two words: Ashe (and) Gragas. There have been comments as to how strong this was and it's simply because every single time they were sizing each other up, it isolated a single player (people see the arrow -> retreat) and the one person that gets stunned, gets barreled and separated out and further increased the distance between the two teams. This made the subsequent teamfight a 4v5 and this gave EU the advantage (i mean they're all good players, just that the US edge them out in a 5v5 IMO) and let them win.

c) In the finals (Fnatic vs. aAa) a lot of stuff was being thrown around about how Ashe won them their games (aAa had her first, then Fnatic picked her in the second game). Now whilst i don't dispute how strong she was, especially in the first game (best Ashe arrow... ever - beats Jiji's from WCG). The second game that was a load of hogwash... well for the most part. She was certainly strong in the second game but they overlooked who actually won them the game which was Karthus. I personally considered him a fairly weak pick but my opinion of him has completely changed. Karthus single handedly split the entire aAa team up in the second game simply because he requires primary focus (AP Mage + Squishy) and he's still present after his death. Now that specific Karthus player simply had the best positioning throughout the entire match, he constantly made sure he was at the very forefront almost daring aAa to take him out, which they did and subsequently afterwards they went to captilise and ended up fighting over Karthus' dead body and taking a metric ton of damage for it (and losing the teamfight). Late game this translated into Karthus single handedly preventing 2-3 players joining the teamfight despite the other two team members having already initiated. This created a 4/5 v 2/3 which obviously didn't end well for the latter and then Fnatic chased down the remaining players who didn't enter the fight.

Now obviously all of the above is my opinion and should be taken as such.

But if you nab any of that aB in a breakdown then i shall claim fees :p.

+ I think that everyone should watch the Dreamhack games simply because they're a very good example of what people should be aiming for in LoL (especially with regards to farm, coordination and ward coverage).

For specific games i'd probably recommend:

TSM vs. aAa (First Game) - Simply amazing to watch, such a close game and great finish.

CLG vs. Gamed.DE (First Game) - The game for 5th Place... it's a shame since CLG admitted they were trolling with their picks but that doesn't make it any less fun to watch.

Any game with Shushei in it - aB will back me up here (and most of the LoL forums now) but he is simply an outstanding player... CLG vs. Fnatic would be the best example (despite them losing) simply because he was "singlehandedly" (i can't really remember or back that up) responsible for crushing CLG early game with epic roaming ganks. There's also a game where he played Gragas and i was very impressed as well. IMO his Brand (in the finals) wasn't as strong so that's not going to get a recomend :p.

8. mansueto

I watched the most of the final match before walking my dog. Was interesting stuff.

I'm waiting for Jarvan to be free so I can try him. He's a great team pick for elo and after seeing him jungle (it wasn't very good but his capability of ganking is huge) I really wanna give him a try. I'd be playing him as TANKY dps, no phantom dancers or any of those shinanigans, im talking hp, armor, atmas, maybe 1-2 dps items.

9. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

For Jungle Jarvan i personally had:

Reds: Attack Speed
    Yellows: Dodge (or Flat Armor)
    Blues: MR/Level
    Quints: ArPen

Masteries: 1/19/10

Basically my Udyr page, the ArPen Quints i found pretty much essential to clear out an entire side without having to go back (unlike Udyr who can get away with HP quints).

Although i was interested in the Dreamhack builds which started with a Regrowth Pendant, take Golem and go straight into ganking... i think that's mainly only viable for coordinated games but i'd be interested to see how it goes when i next play with friends.

One thing that Fnatic (and aAa) pointed out though was that Jungle Jarvan is traditionally a US thing that caught Fnatic off guard. His limitations were shown and preyed upon quite heavily in the second game which aAa lost:

-His ganking potential isn't actually as huge as other characters (until 6 ofc.), he heavily relies on his E -> Q combo and if he whiffs it then he's fairly useless and the flag toss distance isn't massive when from the riverside brush.
    -Also when Jarvan Ults he fully commits himself to a teamfight and it quite often puts him in a very bad position, as noted earlier, when Karthus forced Corki, Malz and Janna away from Jarvan, he was rather screwed.

One thing that also surprised me in Dreamhack was generally the lack of pure Tanks in games, there were a few here and there (namely Amumu) however that was the extent of the "main" picks with most teams preferring to take a Tanky DPS and simply initiate a fight by having them wade in there or using an Ashe arrow/Gragas to set it up.

However that said, it really showed in some games which had started to get into a stalemate and no team had the ability to "force" a teamfight.

10. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

My friends and I have been watching. We have picked up a fair amount from the tournies that we didn't really think too much about previously.

If there was one thing that our team is doing now that we weren't doing before, it's checking death timers on all neutrals. We kill the dragon, we clock the time we did it to make sure we are back there as soon as it is back up (if convenient). Same goes for baron. There was one game where they moved down to get the dragon, and corki shot a rocket, the dragon spawned mid-shot flight and took it to the face.

I know it sounds like a little thing, but knowing when they are coming up is helping us significantly as a team, because we are only warding the dragon and other buffs a minute or two before we know it is coming up, rather than keeping it perma-warded and wasting money.

The other thing that we are trying out is the laning combinations that they were running: ad+support bottom, ap carry mid, tanky dps top and a jungler. We were rolling with Ashe (me) & Alistar bottom, karth mid, Garen/Vlad (he switched each game) top, and jungle Jarvan. Worked like a charm, our alistar baby sitting me and letting me get my IE in record time, we won three games on the bounce.

What you say about Karthus is right, he can happily roll into a team with his defile on, slowing everyone down, throw his wall on the carry, splitting the enemy team and cancelling out any resistances they may have, all the while throwing down red dots of doom. That isn't even taking into consideration his Ult, which means that no champ is getting out of a fight with under 400 hp and living to tell of it. We are finding that the combination of Alistar flashing onto the enemy team and punting someone back to us through karthus' wall works very well. He has been building a Randuin's too so that if the other 4 try to chase through the wall, they are completely immobilised.

I didn't get to watch the final 3 games last night, though I will probably catch them later this week, were they any good?

I expected more out of the riot vs pro's game yesterday. Specifically from Phreak and Pendragon, who I consider to be very good players. Obviously their teammates weren't playing great (Jeff specifically), but regardless they were just playing poorly.

11. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

This is something that i've wanted to do for a while, but keep forgetting every time. It's very easy to overlook but insanely powerful if you do it properly.

I also love the suggestion that you should use ingame chat to keep a record since in 5 man premades, you're all on a VOIP client, thus chat should be empty. Simply just type in "Red/Blue/Dragon/Baron" after you've done it and since it's timestamped you've got a history now.

I'd like to know if you faced any teams without a jungler?

Generally the 1v2 lane is a pain for Tanky DPS (IMO) since not many are suited for either sustaining or farming. It pretty much relies on the fact that it will be a 1v1 engagement up top. However if he can survive to gain a level advantage... makes it so much more painful.

Also i find it a shame that it's only something you can do in a premade 5... very rarely will you have a support in a game, even less so one that will let you farm. It's very easy to take the support pick in a partial premade, but then having someone reliably pick a 1v2 or Jungler is a pain again.

There were only 2 games last night, Fnatic came in with a 1-0 headstart because they were the Upper Bracket Finalists (they hadn't lost a game). It makes sense really since the whole point of double elimination means that each team gets a second chance to go into the final.

Out of the two games, the first game was worth watching simply due to an amazing play by aAa which turned a losing teamfight into the winning push with a great example of amazing juking, suicidal reinitiations and the most awesome Ashe arrow you'll ever see.

The second game is good to watch if only to see how Karthus did the perfect job in denying teamfights and separating out enemies.

I think i missed that match :(. I briefly saw the highlights of Rioters vs. Dreamhackers but that didn't really show much.

12. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

Yep, that is how we do it. Also, just simple things like knowing that if you killed the blue just after killing the dragon, and that the dragon is on a 1 minute longer respawn then the blue, as soon as you see the blue come up, the dragon will be up within 30 seconds. It tends to give much more structure to our game, because we know we are going to be aiming for the dragon within 2 minutes, rather than someone randomly piping up with 'we should do dragon' and the whole team being a bit split up and deciding to do it 'just after X'

We did, but it usually wasn't too much of a problem. We had vlad solo top vs 2, but he was faring ok, and when it was getting a little close our jarvan would go up to support/gank. I think it can definitely be a problem depending on your choice of character, and who your opponents are. Soloing top against a Mundo and a Vayne would be an absolute nightmare. That said, there are some champions who are almost designed for it (morde and cho' spring to mind).

I didn't realise that they gave the top bracket finalists a 1-0 headstart. That makes sense though I guess. I was having issues with the whole second chance system. I'm still not sure I agree with it though.

The Pros went full support team; Janna, Soraka, Taric, Sona and Karma. Within 25 minutes they had a 10+ kill advantage and had taken out one of the nexus turrets.

13. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

I had a Blitz/Akali lane combination with my as solo Ezreal once :(.

I've never played more cautiously in my life.

At first i had issue with it since i also didn't realise they went in with a 1-0 lead.

However after hearing so, i've become rather indifferent about it. I think it's fair for the most part at least.

a) I'd read about that on the forums (that 5 Support Teams were OP) but didn't know where it came from. That and why Dragon/Baron were OP and how Jungle Taric was apparently viable.

b) After watching that game it was rather entertaining =].

14. b0ng0

b0ng0 Reddomitlum

Anyone watch the Season 1 matches over the weekend? I've only really watched SC2 as far as eSports go but I really enjoyed watching LoL live, especially with the commentary.

Haven't been able to log in all week though sadly... these servers...

15. loftie

loftie Multimodder

16. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Read my post from yesterday :p.

17. mansueto

Happy to see eve and vayne both get nerfed. A bad Eve will snowball but a good Eve is a real pain and almost unstoppable with that stun of hers. As for vayne, I just felt she was op unless a complete idiot was playing her. Her damn true damage really hurts against any tanky heroes too.

18. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

That is a hell of a lot of changes.

The new Champ is going to be ridiculous when putting his ult on an AD Carry. Two master Yis running around stomping face? Ouch.

I agree that Eve was long overdue the nerf. A good eve will still be able to assasinate people just as easily, it just means that her initiate one someone isn't as ridiculously easy for her teammates to jump on to.

I'm not sure whether I agree with lifesteal working through a shield. I get that lifesteal champions are effected twice over by shields as they are, but isn't that half of the point of them?

No more stacking Gold per 10 items either. That should be interesting.

That change to Blitz is amazing by the way. The amount of times you pull someone, for him to then not swing at them to knock them up is just stupid.

Ooh, just noticed the changes to champion kill rewards too. That sucks for Poppy/shaco/eve/anyone else who farms champions rather than creeps.

19. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

I don't think Eve will ever be viable until the Stealth remake that's apparently coming soon. Near permanent Stealth as Riot have stated is practically broken since a stealthed char. is a potentially MIA char. and forces teams to play very defensively whenever they don't see her on the map.

As for Vayne, it's good that she's been nerfed although i'm wondering if it might have been too much (they're still planning more nerfs iirc). I think Dreamhack showed that Ashe's utility will always be more viable than simply "more DPS" and it's a lesson that was supposed to have been learnt at last years WCG where again Ashe was consistently picked over the "highest DPS carries" like Kog'Maw and Tristana.

All that said, i'm surprised more people weren't/aren't playing Vayne as a Tanky Ranged Carry similar to Irelia... all she needs is some Attack Speed and then Tank Items and she'd be just as annoying.

20. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Stealth just makes the game boring. Tower hugging is not fun. Hopefully by all spells no longer affect wards, they mean things such as nidelees traps, and lee sins ground slam thing. That way they cant reveal them and kill the wards.

Interested in the udyr changes, we might start seeing some more jungle udyr, now that he can change stance a few more times before running out of mana.

Vlad tweak isnt really worth mentioning. Definitely not a nerf which is what i thought I read they were going to do. All they've done is make his early game stronger, end game i think the difference won't be noticed.