1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EA: 'Valve removed Crysis 2 from Steam'

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 16 Jun 2011.

1. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

I see this as Steam trying to defend itself and get companies to subscribe to a "Steam Only" distribution service stopping game developers from supplying on multiple distribution networks.

With EA having it's own system, and becoming rivals to steam it was inevitable this was going to happen.

2. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

In all honesty, this makes much more sense than an EA-wide move - they're a publisher, and I don't think they're dumb enough to cut such a massive section of the market out. I think BF3 will still be on Steam - let's face it, they haven't pulled anything else. All Origin is EA's new download manager.

3. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

Steam is pretty much the only reason I skip on retail copies these days, so I guess now if I was to buy Crysis 2 I'll keep an eye for a cheap boxed version online or down CEX.

4. tennisball

tennisball [Insert witty comment here]

I doubt this is the case; IIRC Valve did a lot of negotiating with EA to get their games on steam in the first place. EA have had a digital distribution service for ages.

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

this seems like complete bs to me. i've seen games on steam, eadm, and desura at the same time, so unless what ea meant by "new" as in "within a month", they're lying.

6. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

Exactly, there's obviously some fine print Valve or EA are not saying here...

Either way, the business is already getting clogged with everyone having their own distribution system, and if they start becoming mutually exclusive then we're all screwed. I don't want 10 clients, I'm Steam only and it's not on there then I ain't buyin it. So bad marketing move for both of them.

P.S. I think the real reason C2 was pulled is cause it was embarrassingly bad :p lol

7. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

It's like steam can do no wrong with pc gamers, I don't see what's so great about it their prices are pathetic unless a sales on.

8. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

Steam fan boys need not to comment.

9. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

I'm at least happy that I can still play my steam copy of the game. I hope this isn't the start of more games being pulled off of steam. I know there are over services out there but I already have so much invested in my steam account I'd hate to have to switch over to a new service just for a few games. I do use impulse but that is only for sins of a solar empire and it's current 2, soon to be 3 expansions.

10. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

mmm, will steam owners get the patches and if they do will it be in a timely fashion?

11. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

i was contemplating getting crysis 2 when it goes in a valve sale! meh! anyway i'll use origin (which is a bit tosh, but, then again it is better than steam was when it came out) for bf3 if i have to, but i have preordered a retail copy, as preordering on origin is about as bargaintastic as it is on steam.

12. mighty_pirate

mighty_pirate What's a Dremel?

This.

13. sear

sear What's a Dremel?

Rumour has it that Crysis 2 was removed by Valve due to EA signing a deal with Crytek stating that future patches and DLC would only be published on Origin, effectively giving EA's digital store the better product. Valve did not take kindly to this and removed it. EA's pointing the finger here, as well as their vagueness on the subject, suggests that they don't want to admit exactly what happened for fear of even more backlash.

14. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

If they lumped in exclusive patches as well then i could see the issues.

However as for EA pointing the finger at Valve, aren't the majority of people pointing the finger at EA here with even less information?

I admit that it may seem like they're trying to minimise damages, but Valve hasn't even tried to defend itself yet. If it were the other way round, people would be accusing EA of staying silent because they know they're guilty.

15. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

we won't hear any gossip from the management at Valve. We may not get an official comment either. It's not how big business is done. At some point they'll either agree on a contract or it'll just stay like it is now. And let's face it, EA publishing their own games on their own service makes sense.

I don't agre with it though. Steam is an outlet. My outlet. Using more clients is BS.

16. Furioushamster

Furioushamster Is there an officer, problem?

I'd say, first have a skeptical look at both sides. There's a couple of facts you HAVE to consider; Steam has a LOT of developers/publishers and also damn lotsa indie games! Steam has like 1 million people online all the time! It'd be in Valve/Steams best interest to have as many titles on there as possible, so for them to suddenly exclude Crysis 2 from their platform only seems like more trouble for them. Also because this would've harmed their relationship with EA somewhere? Like many have said, it's not like EA has a good trackrecord, they're (nowadays!) known for screwing with developers, cutting their deadlines and/or budget. For EA to move their business to their own platform is ofcourse nice for the 'market interest' (actually their own wallets) but it does little for boosting the game industry.

Steam is actually the only gamingplatform/client I completely trust with all my hard-earned money. I always get the feeling that steam, albeit in time, has matured to such a point it should be standardized. As many say, having more then one client is utter waste of time and could be better spend in developing better titles if you'd ask me - especially for PC! I've had troubles with EADM lot'sa times trying to install BF2142 and BF:BC2 and some DLC packs. All in all:

EA has bought like 20 developers in 5-7 years time, Valve got us Steam.
    Steam won my heart, EA violated some very promising and exciting titles in my opinion.

17. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

Valve probably made it so that exclusive DLC doesn't exist for games that is only available on other platforms. If I bought a game on Steam I don't want to be installing and downloading DLC off of Impulse or someplace else and vice-versa.

18. serial_

serial_ What's a Dremel?

oh damn. I would have bought Crysis 2 on steam, but there's no way in hell I'd ever use a service managed by EA. Sorry, EA chaps, but your sadistic handling of the Dead Space PC DLCs for both games has instilled a sense of ire towards any service you provide.

Looks like unless it returns to steam I won't be playing Crysis 2. Pity, oh well.

19. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Yes, because having a good reputation is automatically grounds for one to be at fault.

20. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Do I smell the hardcopy strikes back?

Tags: Add Tags