1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Battlefield 3 capped to 30FPS on PS3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 20 Jun 2011.

1. Donteatmypanda

Donteatmypanda What's a Dremel?

Nowt wrong with 30fps in my opinion. I'd rather play locked at 30fps than unlocked with dips in framerate. Still DICE need the fps lower than 60fps to fit realtime global illumination and destruction in there. The Battlefield 3 frostbite 2 engine looks all the more ambitious when compared to the invisible walls of Call of Duty: World at War.

Edit: excellent little article on frame rates:
    http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm

nice article!

2. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Good, I'm glad someone understood me :)

My explanation was going to be this:

If you are shooting video at 24 frames per second using a "shutter speed" of 1/24 seconds you are in effect capturing all of the information about what goes on during the time you are shooting. If you have a camera that can do 240 frames per second at a shutter speed of 1/240 you're just subdividing that information into separate frames. Layer ten of them together and you have exactly the same image as one of the 24fps frames - a fast moving object will be blurry.

Any shutter speed faster than 1/24 reduces the motion blur in each frame, cutting out information and eventually introducing a noticeable "staccato" effect. Go look on Youtube for videos taken by people with newfangled video-capable DSLRs without knowing what they're doing - 24fps and a shutter speed of 1/1000 begins to look remarkably like a laggy video game.

A frame from a video game essentially has an infinitely fast shutter speed. It's information from a single instant in time, given out as many times per second as your graphics card can manage. You need a heck of a lot of frames per second just to equal the amount of information your brain receives from properly shot 24fps video.

Still, it varies from person to person. I am perfectly happy with 60fps, and to be honest I'm happy with 30 as well in most games, though it is a noticeable step down.

3. dangerman1337

dangerman1337 Minimodder

After looking at the PS3 footage (well best for youtube you could get) and this being on 720P and 30FPS (assuming locked) is good. IIRC most AAA titles on the HD twins are 720P and 30FPS. Though I have seen some people in comments saying as summed up "lol weak DICE lol goin to MW3 suck it haterz".

4. shanky887614

shanky887614 What's a Dremel?

i hate to disagree with you but i cant play most games at 30fps

they even make some people feel sick cause they are usually so jerky at that framerate

5. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I meant in games where there is no motion blur. 24fps is fine for TV, as all the information within each 24th of a second is captured on the film. You don't miss anything, it's just merged into a single frame.

Games, without motion blur, is a whole other story. You render a wheel spinning at 60rps at 60fps in a game, and it will look static, as each rotation exists between the frames.

6. pingu666

pingu666 What's a Dremel?

so 1/4th of what a modern gaming pc can output (120hz monitor)

a faptastic rig would be 120hz tripplescreen, 57xx x1080 and in 3d too :)

7. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I'll only take a 3D screen if it's not in a TN panel. That aside, this isn't that surprising, most games on consoles are usually 30fps.

8. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

Yes, I am sorry but the whole Bit-tech / Custom PC "25 fps min is fine" assertion is BS.

Rather than join in the technical discussions I will just say this...

I find it very noticeable in most games if I am running at 25FPS - and it basically sucks arse.

9. PerfectDark

PerfectDark What's a Dremel?

Battlefield 3 is will look much better than MW3 on PC.... But the console versions of the 2 games may be the opposite.... maybe....

10. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Why do you care? Shitty consoles get shitty game performance. Boohoo. If you want the cutting edge, if you want BF3 64 player at true high definition with AA, then get a decent PC. If you want to play games on a mass produced piece of crap for the cheapest possible price, then buy a console.

11. PerfectDark

PerfectDark What's a Dremel?

To make it work in 720p with 2X-AA they will have to decrease graphics quality at a point that i doupt it will look beautiful like PC... even 4 meters away from Screen you will see the difference with PC....

Something else i see strange is that they said it's not 1080p because of graphics quality.... like hell they would make it 1080p not even GOD could on a console.... Why should i believe it will even be 720p???

12. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Jesus Christ people. It's a question of whether you find 30 fps acceptable or not. It's a personal preference. Don't get all worked up over it.

13. E_Spaghetti

E_Spaghetti What's a Dremel?

What is PS3?

14. wiak

wiak What's a Dremel?

PC version will allways be best
    why? you can run it at ANY resolution and framerate (unless they have capped it)
    and run it on the highest settings with highest AA

15. Deders

Deders Modder

It depends on the game and the engine it runs on, some games can be seamlessly smooth if they maintain above 25fps, others do seem smoother at 60.

16. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

i've found sat on my sofa around 8ft away from a large screen tv 30fps is fine. on my pc sat in front of my monitor i need about 40fps, prefer 60fps and cant really tell much difference any higher.

17. Crunch77

Crunch77 What's a Dremel?

X360

More than likely.

18. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

...Who the **** cares?

Buy it on PC and have a proper BF3 experience.

19. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Does anyone know if a PC demo is on the books?

20. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

An open BETA is due out in September.

Tags: Add Tags