1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News More Windows 8 details leaked

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 21 Jun 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Turbobutts

Turbobutts What's a Dremel?

With every news about Windows 8 I fear that it's more and more of a downstep from prior versions. I mean ... location logging? Buying basic Windows functions? Portable friendliness (may I remind you of what utter failure Ubuntu 11.04 is in comparison to 10.04)? Yeah ... hell no, thanks. Sounds like I'll be staying with Windows 7 for as long as possible.

3. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

An app store? For the love of f***ing god, I'm sick of programs now being referred to as "apps". Nevermind the fact that they'll most likely charge for everything. Give me a so called "app store" like ubuntu's or give me one like openSUSE's YAMP and I'll be happy because they'd be useless. To someone like me that doesn't buy programs something like this is useless.

4. ohdarklord

ohdarklord What's a Dremel?

I doubt they are moving away from the sku's. Its more likely theta they are allowing people to buy the cheaper sku and unlock the one or two functions that they need from the more expensive sku.

As long as the app store is open for any developer to work with I would be happy.

5. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

The more I hear about new OSes, the more I begin to wonder why they're trying to make phones equal tablets equal netbooks equal laptops equal desktops... because they're not the same! They're for completely different purposes.

I can see Arch Linux based systems in my future if this continues. And I was pleased when Windows 7 speeded up the rather monotonous process of installing Windows. I suppose I can kiss goodbye to taking an hour to get an almost fully usable system, and look forward to spending two days tweaking everything just to get a desktop and audio working.

6. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

App stores work out dependencies, automatically install things in the right place, look after each application's data, keep a record of what you've bought and are licensed for, provide a common interface for automatic updates, and save you having to re-type your card details every time you want to buy something. They're basically more convenient and more maintainable than the traditional model of downloading programs in every way. And they don't stop you using the traditional method of getting/installing programs. What's not to like?

7. DwarfKiller

DwarfKiller What's a Dremel?

With the way this is shaping up I can see a lot of people not moving from W7 and personally, I wouldn't blame them. It's only an early leak so there's still time to convince people of it's improvements.
    I'm with storm on the 'app' name being thrown around like penny sweets.

8. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

The fact that not all of us believe in paying for programs which would make it useless to people like me, I'd still have to go the traditional route unless they decided to support open source programs on the store.

9. pimlicosound

pimlicosound What's a Dremel?

I think the majority of apps on the iOS App Store are free. I see no reason why a Windows 8 app store wouldn't also have loads of free software alongside paid-for software.

But why does paid-for software cause you such grief? I presume you don't hold a similar attitude when you visit a supermarket for your weekly shop. Does software hold no real value for you, or do you just feel entitled to have it all without paying?

10. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Because I'm of the mindset that if I develop a program I would rather the whole world could enjoy it not just those that would choose to pay for it. If I think a piece of software is helpful and I wouldn't want to live without it that's what donating is for. To me the computer is an open platform and it may be a slightly hippy thing to say but I'd like to live in a time where we can all hold hands and share our software :D

EDIT: Also as for why I don't think stuff will be free. I just get this feeling....cause this is microsoft we're dealing with. The same company that only allows people to release one FREE set of DLC and forces developers to charge for the rest. Case in point: L4D.

11. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Yup with you on that.
    Was talking to someone the other day who asked me if "a programme was like a bigger version of an app", I walked away before the red mist fell.

Looks very much to me like MS is trying to turn Windows into a PC version of iOS which is a bad thing, people know windows, they want to be able to sit down and know how it works without spending ages working stuff out at whatever pc they find themselves at.
    Making a big UI change like this is a bad move.

12. LJF

LJF Modded

So, you're saying that donating money is the "traditional route" as opposed to one of the foundations of modern civiilsation - the exchange of currency for goods and services?

You're essentially saying software development is not a professional activity? I'm a structural engineer by profession. I don't think i'll be spending my time designing any bridges, with no recompense, in the hope that someone might one day require the construction of it and feel the desire to pay me for the design...

On what planet, exactly, do you reside?

13. _Metal_Guitar_

_Metal_Guitar_ What's a Dremel?

Who doesn't believe in paying for applications? Why does it seem that everyone expects things for free? People aren't going to put hard work into developing a program so you can download it for free! They shouldn't have too either.

14. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

well, look at it another way: Steam is a form of app store that have existed since 2003, and people love it, because it allows you to re-download purchased games, allow you to have a simple management interface and it deals with the dependencies (eg, C++ runtime, PhysX plugins)

if this Windows one works similar to every other app store out there (eg. allow redownload, easy to manage, takes care of dependencies) then it can only be a good thing.

15. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

I'm with you on the usage of the word "app". I had a conversation with my dad recently:

:D

16. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

The average Microsoft user will find apps, geo-location features and the ribbon interface to be very cool and trendy; they'll use them a lot and find them easy to use and understand.

Windows 8 will be a big success and widly liked by the average Microsoft user.

One of these sentences is true. ;)

17. oMonarca

oMonarca Elitist Brick

Except that if there's a problem with your connection, more often than not, you'll have trouble getting access to your library.

But if they follow Impulse's(*) model (don't need the gatekeeper to access the stuff you purchased, except for updates), I'd be a happier camper.

(*)Crappier program, but better philosophy.

18. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

They could put DirectX driver packages as purchasable downloads, too. Better yet, make it a monthly fee à la xbox live. DX11 access for premium account only;-)

19. Shayper09

Shayper09 Swimming in Deionized.

Unfortunately they're probably both true...

Sorry, but what the f*ck are you smoking?

20. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Am I the only person here who things the customisable ribbon interface is a million times easier than endless bloody menus?

I'm not against a W8 app-type store. Something like a built in version of Steam I can see working rather well - it works for games, so why not for more serious programs?

In fact isn't Windows Update already built into W7 now? I imagine they could expand that quite easily to accomodate a virtual library.

Tags: Add Tags