1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Dell U2410 arrived. But stuck/dead pixel

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dave99, 9 Jun 2011.

1. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Hopefully not... Although, I can see them (well any sub 1000$ monitor assembler/manufacture) do that (reduce quality control, or reduce the standard in what is acceptable) to quickly empty their stock, for the new monitor model. (What costs a lot of money is warehouse space, so keeping old monitors isn't good).

When I come back home, I'll take 2 pictures.. one when I don't press on the panel, and one I do, for you to compare, and see what to expect.

2. dave99

dave99 What's a Dremel?

I should have taken a picture of the gap between the bezel and the panel. It was really obvious and would have annoyed me. Perhaps I should have asked them to check the new monitor for the gap before I cancelled it but from the e-mail I received I got impression that it was the same.

Bottom line is, what would you recommend if you were forced not to buy a U2410?

3. GoodBytes

Hmmm.. I would get the Dell U2410 :D
    I am sorry, but for the money, it's the best you can get.

But here are alternatives with similar features:
    > HP LP2475W. No pre-calibrated profile, no 12-bit internal processing, no picture-in-picture and no side-by-side picture-in-picture. Has several sub-panel models with different specification, and you don't know which you have unless you get it form HP website.

> ASUS PA246Q. No detail reviews found despite being long time released, only select few OK reviews (not as good at the U2410). The monitor, is a replica of the U2410 down to the OSD menu (but uglier, like a cheap Chinese knock-off). It doesn't use the same panel.. so don't be fooled. Only 1 user here: Siwini (he is in the US), tried it, had a whine issue, and ASUS after sale service was abysmal, to point that it's like they don't have anything. He got fed up, he returned the monitor to the store, and decided to order the U2410. Additional feature... a ruler on the screen frame, and can show lines on the screen of paper formats. (in the case you don't know how to select "Inch" measurements when you create a new blank picture or resize one with most photo editor.

> NEC LCD2490WUXI2. More expensive, better quality and image output, but less features)

> HP ZR24W. Cheaper price, much less features, not as good as the U2410, cheaper stand, but still acceptable. See it as an above entry level IPS panel.. and that is all. Not as good view angle as the any monitor mentioned here, and bellow this one.

> Dell U2311H. Entry level IPS panel (6-bit panel + ARFC, but still very nice colors, due to the color processor. See is as the iMac monitor, but not glossy). This monitor is still very good, and you will see a difference over a TN panel, even possibly the best TN panel. Of course, like above, you don't have anything special, other than Display Port. Also the monitor is 16:9 (1920x1080) instead of 16:10 (1920x1200).

So yea...I would try again (one last time) with the U2410. The good thing by returning it, is that the return windows in the case you are not satisfied with your purchase is restarted, as it's a completely new transaction.

Anyway here are pictures:
    Oups sorry.. not yet.. camera battery empty... It will take 8 hours to recharge my batteries (I need a new recharger and new AA rechargeable batteries, this is pretty bad what I have).

4. dave99

dave99 What's a Dremel?

If I try and buy another one from CCL they are going to think I am taking the piss. If anyone who works for CCL reads these forums I would love your input. Especially if you are Gavin.

Last edited: 18 Jun 2011
  5. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

Dell good stuff man. Belive me, once you go dell you never go back:thumb:

6. GoodBytes

I don't think they care or notice... it's all automatic, and even if you call to order, it's most likely someone else.

Oh you got your Dell U2410? How is it compared to the ASUS one?
    Well better post this on the other tread to stay everything on topic. But a quick word here, I think it's fine as I mentioned your case.

7. dave99

dave99 What's a Dremel?

I am waiting the money to be returned to my account. When it is I will try again. One more time. Thanks Goodbytes.

8. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

It might be worth looking around on ebay for a used monitor which still has warranty - the good thing here is that somebody has used it and can tell you whether or not it has dead pixels etc.

A barely used, flaw-free (no dead pixels, backlight bleed, colour cast, tint etc) U3011 with full balance of Dell 3yr warranty sold the other day for £650. You know I'm not a Dell fan, but if I had that money to spare I'd have bought it in a heartbeat - the monitor is worth nearly twice that, and it's particularly rare to get one without dead pixels or screen tint probs.

Definitely goes to show that ebay is sometimes well worth a look :D

9. Sketchee

Sketchee Suddenly, looters! Hundreds of 'em!

+1

<--- Owner of a refurbed, flaw free, e-bay bought U2410 for £330 (price dropped to £300 the following week :( )

As well as private sellers also look at e-tailers trading through the bay. The blokes I bought mine from offered their own zero dead pixel policy ontop of the dell guarantee

10. dave99

dave99 What's a Dremel?

Could you tell me who you bought yours from?

11. Sketchee

Sketchee Suddenly, looters! Hundreds of 'em!

eComputers they were called iirc. Don't know anything about them other than they were helpful over the phone and I had a good experience with them.

I mentioned it in another thread before, I wasn't prepared to pay full whack for my monitor after plenty of stories of people returning faulty brand new screens and being issued a refurb as a replacement via dell warranty. If there's a chance of ending up with a refurb anyway, might as well pay less for it in the first place.

12. dave99

dave99 What's a Dremel?

Thanks Sketchee:thumb:

13. dave99

dave99 What's a Dremel?

It looks like all the U2410's CCL get in have the same gap in the bezel. I contacted them to ask that when I order another they check and discard it if it has the gap. I was told that they have checked a number of these monitors and they all have the gap. I think I will have to give up on this monitor, looks like Dell have major issues with quality control, even on monitors costing nearly £500.

14. GoodBytes

This is the first time I hear this issue.
    The only problem the monitor was bad panels.. but that was LG IPS panels, which affected everyone, including LG them self. This was solved in late 2009.

It is normal that you can have a bad batch. As Dell is a huge company they order HUGE batches.. so you have to wait a month or so, before the batch empties out.
    I am surprised though, that CCL doesn't return the BATCH, and be done with it. I guess, they prefer to show on their website "available" or "in stock", and try to sell the monitor now, to get money now, and hope that they don't complain or notice.

That is why I like ordering my stuff directly with the manufacture... as even the insanely large batch empties out in a day.. so assuming I have a problem, I know the exchange will most likely not have anything wrong.

Saying the truth here, no one here that got U2410 had any problems, beside the usual rare event of getting a monitor with dead/bright pixel or something, which got solved with a replacement.

15. dave99

dave99 What's a Dremel?

I think the problem is in Britain. I tried calling Dell and the person on the other end barely understood English and couldn't be bothered, the call centre seems to be in India. Also, as they are phasing this monitor out it is a distinct possibility that they have sent the seconds to the UK to foist on people like me:wallbash: There is a reason they call it rip off Britain:rolleyes:

16. GoodBytes

Dell (well most companies) are all in India for the Sale services, same for Customer Service.
    Even when I ordered my first Dell U2410, and my laptop before that, I was talking to India. It sucked, but I kept on, as I wanted to negotiate a price, and I was successful on both times.

The only time I can have local service is tech support, during office hours, for my business class laptop (and I called Dell Small Business to get it, so I have Small Business warranty).
    I ordered from small Business my monitor as well, but I never tried the warranty.

You could try Dell Small Business, it's still going to call somewhere in India, but perhaps you might fall with people with better English, and slightly more knowledgeable. I HIGHLY doubt that anyone at Dell will be able to answer your question though, because people only know system specs, and not stuff like that. They will either tell you to not worry, or to say that it's "normal". Because he or she is looking on some FAQ question/answer on product that the person has never experience, and your question is really not part of the FAQ, so he will be answering to you on something close, but not that your want... like having the panel slightly move.

Anyway, here are the pictures:
    Sorry it's not the best picture in the world, I don't have a try pod, and I use an old old digital camera (Canon PowerShop A75)

Normal:
    [​IMG]

Pressing on the panel:
    [​IMG]

I know it's hard to see on the picture above, but the panel only moves 1mm, and this is the place where it moves the most.

17. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

Been a lil busy latley, not trying to ignore you Bytes. I will type a full review on Dell shortly. Anyway what you think about huye pro. Its only $68 on egg. You think its worth getting?

18. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

You know it's weird when I press on my screen lightly right were Dell sign. Screen plays a little bit. Just like yours btes. I take it that's normal?

19. GoodBytes

This is normal. This is LG system to reduce back light bleeding and improve back light spreading.
    I find it cool that an investment was done to provide improved image output results, so that they are able to produce a monitor at sub 1k range, but provide something better than what normal could be achieved, without affecting looks or usability.

The iMac, if you remove the glass in front (hold with magnets) to access the panel, it does something similar.

20. Snubbs

Snubbs CustomPC Migration victim....

I've used one of these. Apparently (so my friend told me) these are actually to calibrate your monitor so that it reflects the printer profile colours. i.e. it is not what you're looking for.

Another friend bought a proper calibration tool - i'll get you the model number if you fancy?