1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Man robs bank to get medical care in jail

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Cthippo, 21 Jun 2011.

1. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelo...jA3luX21vc3RfcG9wdWxhcgRzbGsDbWFucm9ic2Jhbmt0

This is what American healthcare looks like. :wallbash:

2. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

NHS +1

US healthcare is good, if you have a job with health insurance. Otherwise there isn't much of a fallback.

3. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

I'm surprised this sort of thing doesn't happen more often. When i walk past some of the homeless people in the street i often wonder if they would find themselves better off if they were in a prison.

4. benji2412

benji2412 <insert message here>

We need to seriously look after the NHS, it's the best thing about our society.

5. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

What's the bet that some moronic politician will end up on air saying something to the effect of "We need less care for prisoners so that ordinary people no longer have an incentive to commit crimes to receive care that they can't afford."

If this wasn't so sad, I would be cracking a rib laughing.

6. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

The American Healthcare system is an absolute mess. Well to be fair it rewards the wealthy more than the not-so-fortunate.

The only protests really come from Big medicine and people who don't understand what socialized healthcare means. But then again, these are ironically the same people who support the fire and police departments. Which incidentally are socialized.

It still infuriates me how some people have the nerve to complain that we don't have a choice if we socialize healthcare. To hell with your choice you fat bag of meat, there are other people out there who can't even choose because they can't afford it.

On an unrelated it's speculated (although statistics vary) that medical costs do contribute quite a bit to our bankruptcy problem in America, outside our lack of fiscal sense ofc.

7. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

That's putting it mildly. Medical bills are the number one cause of bankruptcy in the US.

8. Elton

The statistics and current consensus is still under debate, I wanted to mention that it was but there's too many conflicting statistics thus far. So I chose to just say that it is a large contributor.

9. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

The guy's low security prisons aren't quite as nice as the girl's ones, but you should see the low security girls prisons.... :eyebrow:

Inmates have a variety of duties, such as a little bit of work on the beautifully landscaped gardens, or a bit of cleaning up in the modern kitchen.

There are a few entertainment options also available, such as getting comfortable in your bedroom, which is about as modern and luxurious as an upmarket motel/basic hotel room, and read a current issue magazine or book from the huge variety available for request.

You don't have to stay in your room, you can always socialize in one of the modern living rooms, and play some nintendo wii, or playstation 2, or chess... I can't recall all the games available, but there's a fair few, there's even regular concerts, as many inmates like to get dressed up and do some singing and dancing.

And of course, you'll never have to go hungry and you'll be given all the medical care you could possibly need.

Screw bankruptcy, screw living on the street, haul yo ass into low security tax funded holiday resort asap :eeek:

Not that I've checked any statistics, but I would have guessed that foreclosures on mortgaged houses was the current number one cause of bankruptcy in America.
    It wasn't that long ago that there was something like ~20 million bankrupt Americans living in tents, tent cities they called them.

10. Droih

Droih Your too close if you can read this

@mvagusta -

They seem to have nice prisons over 'there as well!

In Sweden all inmates get their own room, personal TV & PC (internet access, might be limited depending on their crime) in the cell - 3 meals a day & free health care AND they get paid if they work inside the prison (last part is for the low security places)

mvagusta likes this.
  11. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

And interestingly Sweden has very low re offending rates compared to the US or the UK.

12. paulp

paulp What's a Dremel?

13. paulp

paulp What's a Dremel?

Low re-oofending rate

That's interesting because they treat the prisoners like decent people. When one treats people well, they tend to feel more dignity and self respect and to behave better. It seems like a winning combination. :clap:

14. Elton

This is in part true, well it's more of the post-sentence treatment that makes the offender numbers so low. Although I don't know first hand, I'm sure Sweden treats their ex-cons much better or at least with more dignity than we in US do.

As for the medical issues, regardless of bankruptcy rates, medical bills have always been extortionate, and without proper coverage it might not lead to total bankruptcy but can put a huge strain on any family. (Just see the average cost for cancer treatment, it isn't cheap. At all)

15. zatanna

zatanna What's a Dremel?

hey, you're back. :)

as for this type of scenario in the states, i expect it to continue. after all, 2009 stats from the centers for disease control and prevention show the number of uninsured persons under 65 in the u.s. to be 17.5% or 46.3 million people. one can reasonably assume these numbers have climbed in the past two years, if the unemployment rate is any indication (which it is).

later this year, they'll post the 2010 stats and so on.

16. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

I hope he doesn't drink the wine

17. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

How do vaccines work in America are the free or do you need insurance to get them? If the latter i can see a very high danger for something like a measles epidemic.

18. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

You do have to pay. However, the health department normally secures them for people unable to pay, at least around here.