1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling CPU fan.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by evildude5t5, 23 Jun 2011.

1. evildude5t5

evildude5t5 Real gamers overclock

I recently came across an old Antec dragon case black and in mint condition. I don't really have a desire to mod it but i am trying to order a new CPU fan for my Core 2 quad because the one i have now is to loud. and doesn't offer really good temps even under load. Does any on have any idea on the best CPU HSF that is almost silent. i would prefer. my motherboard is an ASrock P43DE motherboard if that is needed.

The HSF i planed on getting was the (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m_re=zalman_cpu_cooler-_-35-118-223-_-Product)
    i have a budget of around $70. i would prefer on that has fans with it

2. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

That HSF will be pretty loud as I understand it. The Akasa Freedom Tower is supposed to be pretty good. But if you on a budget there is the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 pro v2, Arctic Cooling Freezer 13, Gelid Tranquillo, Cogage True Spirit, Titan Fenrir ect..

In short there are loads of decent 775 air coolers.

It all depends on what you want to spend and how high you want to overclock. If you don't want to overclock much, or at all, then get an Arctic Cooler. Either will do the job. Second one I mentioned has more cooling abilty though. Cheap and effective.

If you want to crank it up I'd suggest the Freedom Tower or Fenrir. Maybe even a Corsair H50/60/70. Again depends on budget.

Last edited: 23 Jun 2011
  3. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

4. Mechraven

Mechraven %$£" it's broken again !!

Hey evil. I have a Core2Quad and i recently switched to a new air cooler due to my old cooler being too loud for me. There are some good ideas above from fizzban , but also consider the Akasa Venom. I had a Coolit ECO ALC Water cooler on my Q6600 @3.0ghz which was good but too noisy so i swapped to the akasa venom and not only was it quieter but i knocked 3c off my temps too ! my Q6600 is now 23c idle and 48c load . There are plenty of good coolers on the market for skt 775 Id recommend Akasa Venom , Thermaltake Frio, Gelid tranquillo, or Fenir all good coolers. If you really want quiet then go with Gelid tranquillo :D

5. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

6. evildude5t5

thanks. what about fitting in the case. its an Antec Dragon

7. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Most or all will fit in terms of the heatsink height vs the distance from motherboard to side panel. I think all will fit, but don't quote me on that. Pick 2 or 3 options and then find out their height via reviews or maker websites.

But that is not your only consideration. Will it interfere with the north bridge heatsink? Will any of those CPU heatsinks block your ram slots? If so? How many? Do you use half height (standard) sticks of ram, or the full height ones with big-ass coolers on them? If you only use 2 sticks then maybe it won't matter if your motherboard has four slots. But you need to be sure you can still use dual-channel mode. Does it block that? You need to do some research mate.

8. evildude5t5

Thanks again for all the help. the cooler i am going with is the ARCTIC COOLING ACFZ13 92mm. if interseted i can post pics of my build i just dont know what section to post them in