1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Star Wars: The Old Republic Preview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 29 Apr 2011.

1. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

And all politicians are perverts right? All this is a subjective matter.

Last edited: 3 May 2011
  2. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

yes but.... it's a lightsaber, what's the point of having it unless it can cut though anything. By nerfing it like that it sounds... disjointed from the rest of the Star wars lore - the character might as well use a vibro-sword.

3. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

But it's an MMO so you would have to have 99 levels of light sabre going up in strength from 'it tickles a rat' to 'it delivers death on a galactic scale'?

4. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

And that's the problem with making a game based on something with so much Nerd rage background (and an over-powered cut's-through-almost-anything sword) :sigh: It's impossible to keep everyone happy, or to use a lightsaber in a way that doesn't break the game for everyone who is not playing as a Jedi/Sith...

5. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

The answer to this wouldn't really be much fun of course. Simply limit the number of Jedi/Sith there can be either a lottery or at a level you can move to Sith school, it effectively how its handled in the universe only meant to be two Sith(?) and Jedi are very picky about who they train.

6. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

This is set thousands of years before the films during a time when the rule of 2 has not been even considered yet.

7. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Ah, my SW lore is a little rusty.

Maybe make Jedi Training really hard, so if you want to play as a Jedi you start on a training world and you can't progress from this world till you've reached Jedi status which would be quite a high level and would actually require some skill or lacking this skill a lot of time, this would balance out insta glib Light Sabers with the low volume of actual users. At the same time making it even more of a grind fest if you want to have an op character.

8. Fizzban

There was a reason given why lightsabers don't cut off limbs but I forget what it was..lol.

The game is supposed to feel heroic so you will start off as a low ranking jedi rather than some newbie with no idea. Think you start off with vibroswords before crafting your own lightsaber before you leave ya origin world. The difficulty will really come after that, and especially in group content. They arn't making it easy either, people are dieing quite a bit in testing I hear.

9. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

I am one of the sad, nostalgic, faithfull few that just wished they were making SWG2. That was star wars as an MMO at the finest it will be or could ever be. Sandbox worlds with the ability to ride into the wilderness and set up a home and the real oppressive feeling of the wild. The imperial/rebel cities patrolled and watched and fought over and in on a regular basis. The rare sight of a jedi to blow you away and sending my droids out across planets to find those pesky jedi I needed to assasinate. It won't ever be the same but I hope bioware can somehow capture the feeling.

10. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Joe did make a point that they should have somehow justified it by using Cortosis weave or something similar.

As for the whole "xxxx should be removed etc", that would obviously explain why people created and wear armor... not to protect themselves, but to be slower, more lumbering and clumsy.

11. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

So after your bad preview, EA announce that the game might slip to Q1 2012.

I hope you're proud of yourself Joe!

:p.

12. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Serious? Have you a link?

If this is true, I smell a lot of trouble for BW. It has already been pushed back and to do that again would indicate some serious issues. If it is Q1 2012, I won't be buying it at launch. If they don't have confidence in their product, I certainly won't. I'll wait to see what the general consensus is first before dipping my toe.

It will also help to damage their already rather aging product. I know VO is a big feature to implement, but had they have not wasted so much time getting that in place, they might have had a game out by now and money back in shareholders pockets.

First and last BW MMO?

13. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Clicky.

EA Financial Report or something.

They still are aiming for Q3/Q4 2011, but they have admitted there's "outside possibility of a January launch"

14. Fizzban

Even if it is January that is still Q4 of the 2012 fiscal year. Not Q1 like you posted first. And just for the record EA have been saying for ages that the game would ship in the 2012 fiscal year. If it gets pushed back to April 2012 (Q1 2013 fiscal) then that would be a big blow for them.

Thanks for the link btw :) Although even they made errors. EA said they were aiming for a spring release, they never actually confirmed it would be a spring release. There's a difference, one many people seem to miss.

Last edited: 5 May 2011
  15. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

I seem to have mixed up my terms when stating quarters.

Whilst they were using the Financial Report as a reference, i was using the Calendar Year quarters as opposed to fiscal.

They were always saying that it would ship Q3/Q4 CY2011, as opposed to the financial year.

The exact statement from the report is:

Which is Q2/Q3 Fiscal Year which is effectively what we already knew (June - December 2011).

More information here.

16. Fizzban

Not to worry I made a typo on my fiscal year, easily done lol.

To be honest I'm not at all surprised by this news. Testing has not been going on all that long really. And the only areas testing are North America and UK. Europe is not yet in on the act. AND if you follow the TOR site like I do you will know they haven't even finished releasing the class updates. A push back was almost a certainty.

Last edited: 5 May 2011
  17. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

I'm not really surprised per se, but more that because delays are common in the industry, rather than specifically to TOR itself.

As for testing, i've heard it's been going on for a few months now and that apparent impressions are good (as usual)... just disappointed i wasn't selected for testing :(. Supposedly there could be an Open Beta coming soon (seems to be somewhat commonplace these days - Aion, Rift) however that's not confirmed.

And speaking of Class Updates, they'll probably be releasing one every (or every other) week now, although i have to say i was rather disappointed with the latest Sith Warrior update. The previous Jedi Knight one i thought captured the feel of the Republic, however the Sith Warrior just felt more like a small compilation of gameplay clips. Not to mention that they gave the Marauder a Force Cloak of some sort... that should just be left to the Assassins and Sentinels IMO.

18. Torin

Torin What's a Dremel?

Like see review after first large update see where game headed from WoW clone or followed similar path to others

19. Bitwantsreaders

Bitwantsreaders What's a Dremel?

Did anyone stop to think that this site specifically wrote bad stuff about the game just to be different from other sites? Its a surefire way to get noticed. It's called going against the grain. I have seen it done thousands of times. I just find it funny how every other site has mostly positive things to say yet this site does nothing but tear into it. I played the game for less han a half hour and I thought it was amazing. I am not a TOR fanboy either, my favorite mmo is and probably always will be the original Everquest. Idk I just find it really shifty when a site says something so opposite of what everyone else says.

20. Kroy

Kroy Minimodder

Soo, now that beta has been opened to the masses, (or at least beyond the friends, family and media) in the EU, I think Joe will be feeling somewhat vindicated.

Tags: Add Tags