1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New folder GTX 570

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by THE_EVIL_RAPIER, 24 Jun 2011.

1. THE_EVIL_RAPIER

THE_EVIL_RAPIER What's a Dremel?

Hey All,
    I'm kinda new to this folding stuff. I have done it in the past for a little while but then changed to ATI and couldn't get it to work.

I'm now back and interested in doing this part time as i only have one PC. I've splashed out a bit and got a Gainward Phantom GTX 570. But i also have a 3.0Ghz DC E8400. I've got the GPU2 client i think..? And it's working away as we speak. but i don't know if this is the best client to run or if i should change.

I'm running Windows 7 64 and don't have linux installed and don't really want it.

Thanks for any help.:thumb:

2. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Welcome to the forum and team :)

GPU2 is the right client for your GTX 570, it should output around 15k ppd, which is very good for a graphics card.

You'll also be able to fold on the CPU too, though being a dual-core, it might actually slow down the CPU. Somebody else with a dual-core (I don't have one anymore) might be able to give you more advice.

3. *brian*

*brian* What's a Dremel?

Yeah, run the GPU2 client along with the CPU client on a single CPU core so a core is free to feed the GPU with data.

I use GPU-Z to check the graphics card's load is running at close to 99%, if it drops below 95% then I think that's a good indication that the CPU is bottlenecking.

4. Dave_Goodchild

Dave_Goodchild Another CPC refugee

Unless I've missed something the GPU 3 client is required for Fermi??

5. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

My thoughts too....

As a side note, the CPU client will likely give very little points, and have an adverse effect on the graphics card too. I would still to GPU folding on that rig, but thats just me.

I do suggest you watch the temps closely, as things might get a little hot and you may need to add fans etc

6. One_Box

One_Box Folder of the month April 2012

Agree with TaRkA, folding on the cpu in terms of PPD/Watt will be very inefficient. Fold on the GPU only especially if you want to use your computer for other things at the same time.

7. THE_EVIL_RAPIER

Thanks,
    I left f@h running all night, GPUZ says the max temp i got to was 49c. And it's running at 99% load.

I have AN Antec 902 but the fan broke, (A blade actually snapped off and while running, hit my hard drive while i had a raid 0 config and screwed it. lol) so i replaced the two front fans and side fan with arctic F12's. My temps seem fine i think.

I tried playing with the settings in the config like, Do NOT lock cores to specific CPU. but this seemed to almost half the speed that it was working. I also got a passkey? but i don't really know if i need that or what it's for, if someone could explain.

Also, i have seen the terms -Bigadv or -Advmethod or something like that being used in the client parameters box? is this something i should use? or avoid?

Sorry for the wall of questions but i'm just interested in doing something else with this powerfull card other than gaming.

Thanks again for all the replies. I'm still being moderated so i'll get back when i can.

8. *brian*

*brian* What's a Dremel?

Oh yes, my mistake, for my GTX 460/560s I'm using the GPU3 client v6.41 and I specify -forcegpu nvidia_fermi

9. One_Box

No need to use -forcegpu nvidia_fermi with these cards and client, they will be automatically detected.

10. THE_EVIL_RAPIER

Back again. Just got into the top 2000 on the team. :clap: lol. I know i'm not going to get to number one but the top 1000 would be good enough for me. Also i'm still being moderated so my above post didn't get a look in. If someone could help with that it would be much appreciated.

And on a side note i'm looking forward to seeing my name in the Mag now that i'm subscribed. It was a pain trying to find it in Tesco's.

If anyone has any other ideas how i can increase my ppd or just generally help me out that would be great. Cheers.

11. One_Box

-bigadv is not applicable in your case (only for advanced CPU folding using at least 8 threads).

You could add -advmethods to your configuration which may increase your PPD a tad (no guarantee).

The passkey uniquely identifies you to Stanford over and above your user name. It is needed if you wish to get bonus points for running SMP WUs on your cpu.

Try overclocking your GTX 570 with MSI Afterburner (free download - an excellent tool).

12. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

Overclocking is certainly the answer (well, the free solution to more PPD). The GTX570 has a fair amount of OC wiggle room, As mentioned above, download THIS. I took a my GTX460 from stock to 900mhz/1800shaders in PPD that was 9,000 to almost 12,000 You'll agree that's a huge PPD increase for sliding a bar a few notches to the right. Search out a few different overclocking reviews of your card to get a feel for it's potential then sit back and let Afterburner uncover those hidden points.

J.

13. THE_EVIL_RAPIER

Cheers for the info, Will look at OC'ing the card. It's the Gainward Phantom model so the cooling is pretty good. Dunno about OC potential but i'll try.

14. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

Bit-Tech didn't really push it, but if i've noticed anything over the years, it's you'll get more out of it then Bit Tech do, they have to draw the line, they cant set something up for a fail so fair play, i understand. but its cooler is pretty epic, push that bitch for all its worth, get the PPD your looking for, the GTX570 will do it.

J.